New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coincidence
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
“Men are drawn to cutting instruments. We have been forever. It is almost primal, the need to cut something.” Curtis Klingle, CM Forge

"A coincidence is a remarkable concurrence of events or circumstances which have no apparent causal connection with each other".

Coincidence?

A little more than a month ago a friend mentioned to me that he had some knives consigned to him by Ray Kirk. I had recently had the opportunity to make the acquaintance on this forum of two ABS master smiths, Jerry Fisk and Mike Williams. In a conversation Mr. Fisk had told me of the requirement/test for obtaining the ABS master smith designation. Consequently, when my friend sent me the pictures of Ray Kirks' small integral knife and I saw the MS stamp, I perked up.

Prior to this I had no integrals in my possession. Wasn't all that impressed at first glance, but the more I examined it, the more it grew on me.

Then when my friend uploaded a picture of a forged Damascus Integral knife by Argentine knifemaker Ariel Salaverria, I could not help but notice the similarity. The shape was oddly kin to the small Ray Kirk integral. I went to both the website of the maker of the AEs blade and Ray Kirks’. It seems Mr. Kirk was inspired by the Brazilian gaucho blades. Next my friend e-mails me and tells me I have won the Large Ray Kirk stag/forged integral knife.

I’m jazzed, my first integrals.

Most likely not my last.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote