Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant ivory handle Q's
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted
As most of you are aware, a ban on Legal Ivory sales is about to go in effect. I believe it is on Interstate sales only, but is pretty much going to kill the grip business. I recently bought a second set of 1911 grips and sent my only Colt SAA off and had a set of one piece grips made. I would like to have a fixed blade hunting knife with a set of Ele. ivory grips. Not interested in Mastodon or walrus, just elephant. I am curious as to what y'alls opinion is on its suitability for the job, although, truthfully, it will never see any hard use. Does it have to be stabilized or any other special care? Thanks.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee, I have never got stabilizing to work on ivory, but that is just me. The best thing I do for ivory of any kind and stag is soak the handles in mineral oil overnight, do it twice a year when the time changes. When the time changes, change oil in your handle. It does not hurt the metal parts to be in the mineral oil either so sink it.

As long as the person grinding the ivory did not get it hot you should be fine with ivory. I am making a set of grips for my SAA as well. I would have one more handle worth of it from 15 years ago and think I will make myself a personal bowie with it.

Hard use is fine with them. There are a number of good makers that haunt this site. I will also be at DSC if you have any questions.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
thanks for the reply, I am thinking about buying some ivory from one of the suppliers to have on hand when I get ready to have one built.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote