New
Find
Notify
Tools

In need of a GOOD utilty knife
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have many knives, but most are either collectable or expensive.
I just want a knife to do camp chores and general use. I carry my nice hunting knives
in my hunting pack to prevent loss, and reserve them for just taking care of game.
I have been looking at a KA-BAR short, straight edge. It fits well in my hand, is not overly large and light.
Have any of you had experiance with this knife?
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Good Hunting.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idkier, the Ka-Bar knives are stout pieces, and very durable IMO, the blades can be very hard in temper, and tough to get sharp anew, but then again, I haven't bought a Ka-Bar in many many years, so their steel could be completely different now....the quality on their knives is good, I HAVE fondled then from time to time recently.

If you are looking at straight knives, have a look at Bark River knives, they are very good quality, and Cold Steel also makes a great value knife IMO. Puma is another major mfg that is worth a look, their knives are legendary for great steel, and they are damn handsome to boot.
I have been very impressed with the blades in the newer brownng knives I have bought, their Escalade knife is just great, but not a big knife, I'm not sure how big a blade you are seeking.

The last mfg I'll through out there is Gerber, they make tough knives in a variety of styles, some similar to Ka-Bar.

Have fun getting your new blade.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those requirements, take a look at a Buck Vanguard. I just got one with a wood handle and brass furniture for $53. Amazon, ebay, etc. It's a very decent general purpose knife and for that price it's all good.

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your responses.
I went out this morning and bought the KA-BAR straight, short. I think it will serve me well.
The factory edge was O.K., but I put it to my Lansky fine diamond and extra fine stone.
It is now "shaving sharp". I like it already.
Thanks again.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good for you Idkier--glad your Lansky got her really dressed up! I've looked at that knife, I think it is a great 'utility' type piece.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, bear with here.

I too have some nice steel, most of it in mint condition because they're "too nice to use."

And so in my pocket, day in, day out, is a "Husky" folding box cutter. They're about $8 at Home Depot, and come with a package of 20 spare blades.

I don't worry about the blade at all. In fact, I once snapped the tip off one end of the blade because I needed to improvise a "screwdriver."

It's not a large utility knife, but it comes in handy as a "utility cutter" all the time.