New
Find
Notify
Tools

KOA discolored
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I accidently left my knives of alaska out during a hunt in high humidity. The metal now has what can best be described as 'liver spots'. I don't think it's rust...it's not superficial and solvents won't take it off. Any advice to remove it? Confused

Posts: 119 | Location: Houston | Registered: 06 November 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
What is the finish ob the knife- satin or polished?

Have you tried Flitz or Simichrome polish? Is there a pitted area under the spots? You may have to buff the area if so. Is this a Stainless steel knife or carbon steel?

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably is oxidation. Stainless is not rust proof ... but can be very rust resistant.

A fine polishing compound like Simichrome is a good place to start. If that is too dine, automotive rubbing compound is the next more abrasive stuff I use if it is needed to begin to restore a blade. I follow that with Simichrome.

If that doesn't do it, one usually has to go back to the large wheel buffer and some black rouge.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys...Where can I find these products?

Posts: 119 | Location: Houston | Registered: 06 November 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Try a motorcycle shop for simichrome polish. It comes in a toothpaste style tube. Also try a large food store in the housewares aisle, they will not have simichrome but a similar tube that will polish brass, chrome, and silver. Sory I can't remember the name but you get teh idea.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
Flitz should be available in any hardware store. It is also available in the houseware aisle in any department store in the "Sterling Silver" section.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote