New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knife Ban
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This morning in our local paper an outdoor writter had an article about knives and he referenced a Wall Street Journal article "How New, Deadly Pocketknives Becamea $1 Billion Business". It portrayed new saftey features such as locking blades ergonomic and non slip handles and one-handed opening as "deadly" and in need of being banned. As many have said when guns are banned knives will be next - that animial has his nose under the tent. Mad

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
It is the way of the soft cocks. Mad
In my country pocket knives with lock on the blade and one hand opening devices are banned, also knives can not be longer then 7 cm about
2 2/3". Mad The law is pretty much build around the SAK as legal knife. Mad Mad

I guess that my Tripwire is way out of bounce.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
A site with some info for US at least!

http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Locally, Oregon, "automatics" are legal so long as they're carried openly -- on a clip in the pocket or in a sheath on the belt.

I have an 11" Italian stilleto "switchblade" and a couple "automatic" tacticals.

My bayos are what I'd class as "sabres." Well over a foot long, w/ blades near a foot long.

I have a "Samauri" -- about 4' overall, stainless, hand made, wrapped grip.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
In the Dillon Blue Press this month there is an article by Peter Caroline about knives being banned in Scotland. Scotland! Where knives and swords ruled the day not too long ago. First guns, then knives, next will be baseball bats. England also has a harsh ban on most knives, and Australia was thinking about one on swords. bewildered

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
My country where everybody even the poorest use to have weapons is now banning everything and crimpe is going up most gun control most crime,knives are even legal to carry in some provinces even big bowies.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
Yes, Billinthewild is correct.

There are restrictions on possesion of swords in the state of Victoria (and possibly some of the other states as well) in Australia.

It was brought about by a number of incidents where people were being killed or maimed by, dare I say it, gangs of people of Asian appearance....
A couple of people were killed and someone lost a hand.

As is usually the case the majority have to suffer due to the stupid deeds of a few.

Australia wide, double edged blades are also out, as are push knives, butterfly and automatic knives. No size restrictions (yet) though.
It is legal to carry a knife if you can provide a good reason for it like hunting/fishing/ cultural reasons etc, or in other words if you are caught with a 10" filleter on your person, you'd better smell like fish.........

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I have developed a great fondness for Australia and have some good "mates" in your country. What always surprises me is that countries whose background, culture and history is "footed" in hunting, shooting, and the use of what are now termed dangerous implements, turn a blind eye to tradition.
And I am convinced it is the city folk who so out number those in the rural areas. They may feel better, but they are not safer by any means.
Australia, Canada, England, even South Africa, have regressed in my mind, not progressed. The basic human right of self defense is being eliminated. And the statistics since those "feel good" laws were enacted, in all the areas mentioned, do not show any benefit....in most cases, a greater crime rate with the use of weapons. A contrast here where in our states that have enacted carry permit laws, crime rates are reduced. It is one thing when a criminal (and in all those countries the thugs remain armed) knows his victim is unable to protect himself, and quite another when he knows he may well be confronting an armed victim. killpc

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Question --

At what point is a carving knife, 10" French Chef knife, sickle, machete, or even an ax going to be banned?

Knives are TOOLS. Ahhhhhhh, but then a "weapon" is a tool also. Locally, firearms are tools.

See where this is headed?

I have a screwdriver with a flat tip, 10" shaft. I suppose that's a "weapon." It could be a "weapon" along with the 2' X 4' in the barn, the shovel and the splitting maul.

one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
Over here it has everything to with "intent" and balance.

That is, if you are a carpenter by trade, it is in all probablity, fair and reasonable to assume that you will probably have a few sharp tools of the trade on your person and an axe in the back of your ute (pick up). No question.

However, on Friday night after work, turning up at the local night club with exactly the same axe and/or sharp implements on your person will likely get you arrested if caught as it's very clear you're not there to cut down any trees or tweak the door jams..........

Common law (including the right to self defence) still exists in this country despite what many people think.
In fact the SA goverment strengthened it's self defence rules just a few years ago after a spate of home invasions.

Also, if you or anybody else is in clear and present danger of being harmed or killed by another it is fair and reasonable to take measures to stop it happening.
This dosn't mean you can shoot the guy next door with a 12ga who may appear to be beating his wife though.

The response must be reasonable and measured and of course legal.

eg If someone comes at you with a knife in a bar, it would be fair and reasonable to kick the shit out of them there and then or shove a broken bottle in their face to defend yourself, and it would be very unlikely you would be be penalised for that.
However, if the guy threatened you and you chased him down the street and then shoved the broken bottle in his face, chances are you're going to gaol.....your "intent" has changed can you see?

Force=force if you like.

This why there are restictions on things like push knives, daggers, swords etc. These items are solely designed for killing or maiming people and not much else.
Blind Freddie can see that.
Having an item such as this on your person "just in case" dosn't wash under the current law
If you have one of these items on your person it is deemed that you have the intent to use that tool for what it was designed and you will be arrested if caught...

I think most Aussies, if you were to ask them, are quite comfortable with the current arrangents.
We have a laid back way of life here, violence is not that prevalent in most places and few people feel that they need to go around armed to get through life.

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
AVATAR, so if you have a folding pocket knife in your pocket does that constitute "prior intent"? A lot of Boy Scouts would like to know.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I lived in California, one of the local Hispanic gangs tool(weapon)of choice was a sharpened phillips screwdriver. They knew enough to always go for the liver with a stab and were resposible for many murders, usually other gangbangers, but also many rapes. They stabbed a fat guy, but could not reach the liver, so he survived. Soon, everything will be banned, including self defense.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Avatar. I have been to Australia many times and I truly like your country, and your people. I do believe they make it far to difficult to bring a firearm in for hunting purposes but that is another subject.

Your explanation seems to justify the right of the state to impose its will on your right to be able to enjoy certain freedoms. While I do not believe it necessary to carry a sword at one's side while dining, I do believe I have the right to possess one. I also believe I have the right in a free society to carry a knife of my choice. To penalize the mass of honest people for the acts of a nutty few is not reasonable.

If some nut drives a 500 horsepower sports car into a crowd does that justify the government's banning such vehicles?

I do not believe the strict firarms measures enacted in Australia reduced violent crime. I have been told it has increased.

I am not trying to argue with you, but I believe strongly in the right of self defense and that includes the right to arm myself appropriately to do so. salute

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
quote:
AVATAR, so if you have a folding pocket knife in your pocket does that constitute "prior intent"?

No the boy scouts are safe.
They are boy scouts, they are expected to have knives as part of their routine/uniform.
It's ok to have a knife on you at any time as long as you can justify your intent if quizzed by the law as I have already said.

" I do believe they make it far to difficult to bring a firearm in for hunting purposes but that is another subject. "
Fully agree.

"I do not believe the strict firarms measures enacted in Australia reduced violent crime."
Yep, agreed.

"I also believe I have the right in a free society to carry a knife of my choice.""
Me too. I carry a knife every time I hunt or fish, this is 100% legal. But taking my Puma into a bar on Saturday night is not. Not much hunting or fishing happeing in there (or maybe there is Wink ).
I really don't think this is a big deal.

"I am not trying to argue with you, but I believe strongly in the right of self defense and that includes the right to arm myself appropriately to do so."
Absolutley.
You just have to be careful HOW you go about it. A loaded shotgun next to the front door is not on. However, a high powered sporting rifle kept in a safe in your house is ok. Can you see the difference?
The same goes for any weapon carriage here.
If I want a sword, then I become a sword collector and that is my justification. No big deal.
It's the intent that counts.

I really think the US and Aus are not really that different in many ways.