Find
Notify
Tools

Boker ceramic ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can these knives be sharpened?

My brother gave me one a couple of years ago..it has always been dull.

If I can make it sharp...great.

If not, I'll give it away.

Thanks for your advice beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
According to this link you can, but it may take some elbow grease:

http://www.ceramicknife.org/gpage4.html

If I had to do it I'd first try a 800-1000 grit 1X30 sanding belt, they only cost a couple bucks apiece.

Boker will also sharpen it, but they charge $20:
http://www.irawoods.com/Boker-Warranty-Information

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Diamonds will cut it.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't Boker offer a sharpening service ? Kyocera does.
While it can be sharpened it must be done properly which includes polishing the edge as scratches can cause fracture initiation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Thanks... I appreciate the links beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
Doesn't Boker offer a sharpening service ? Kyocera does.
While it can be sharpened it must be done properly which includes polishing the edge as scratches can cause fracture initiation.

Boker will sharpen it. I will say that my PH in Namibia had a ceramic Boker and he felt that it was a POS. He said that it did not hold the factory edge, so he sent it to be resharpened. When he got it back it was sharp.... Until he used it a couple of times.

He was less than impressed.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Why would anyone bring a knife which you can't sharpen in the field? Makes no sense.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AzGuy:
Can these knives be sharpened?

Yes they can be sharpened. I never tried to do it myself - instead I brought it to the shop here in Germany where it was bought. The sharpening service wasn't exactly cheap. We used the Boeker knife in the kitchen.
When it was accidentally dropped the blade broke. This was somehow the straw that broke the camels back: no more ceramic knifes!
Cheers, Hans

one of us
posted Hide Post
The comments from Kyocera are that ceramic knives are good for fruit, veggies,boneless meat.They are meant to supplement , not replace steel knives !!! Use steel for carving, prying, boning, frozen food, cheese !
That says it all ! coffee

One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
It can be sharpened from the factory. The blades are not exactly dull, however they're at such a high hardness and have such a fine edge that the edge is incredibly smooth. On a steel knife, let's say a typical liner lock with 154cm, the molecular structure on the edge is rather rough and acts like a saw almost. It may seem smooth and cut smooth as anything, but that's the nature of steel.
Now a ceramic blade does not exhibit the roughness of a steel blade, therefore it's more apt to slide across and not cut accordingly. The idea of a ceramic knife was revolutionary, hell my father had one of the first one's out of the factory. After using it to skin one deer, he put it back and stuck to steel again. Great idea, however not practical by any means.
In another regards, I bought one of those Cera-Titan knives that they offer. The material is quite similar to some of the sintered bits used in some machining applications. They claim it's 52% more flexible, and much less prone to chipping. After using it to open various cardboard boxes and normal household chores, it developed many chips. I was able to resharpen it, however now I refuse to use it.
Get a good knife with a chunk of D2 or 154cm and live a happy life!

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote