Tools

Cold Steel Natchez Bowie...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted
Anyone got one???

Thoughts or opinions???

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do a search on youtube and check out some of the videos.

Impressive knife. Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vids are impressive... Eeker

Just wondering in any forum members had any first hand experience with them...

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think, judging from the vids, that the knife is a bit too large to carry on ones person if in the bush.

It would however be useful to have in and around a camp site for any heavy duty chores (killing dangerous beasties knife ) that need to be done.

It appears that if you shop around it can be bought for between $300-350.

Would I buy one?

I'm on the case right now. One cannot have too many knives. beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Frederick:
One cannot have too many knives. beer

tu2

One of Us
Picture of doctorxring
posted Hide Post

I recently picked up a CS Natchez Bowie on Ebay for $285. Natchez Shooter Supply has them for $304. I was going to get one from them if I did not prevail on the bid.

This is a magnificent blade. I had read about the presence of this knife and decided to get it as I really liked the classic lines of it. It's a classic early Bowie made with high tech materials and methods. San Mai steel, micarta handle, stressed tang construction. Excellent craftsmanship and high build quality. Shaves hair with the lightest touch. I don't see how any knife lover could be disappointed in this blade.

In my mind I can see Jim Bowie smiling about this blade. I believe many altercations were silenced with just the revealing of such a blade. It has a truly frightening presence.

Chris

BTW, I would classify this as a fighting blade, not a knife in the Trailmaster class, which is a working Bowie. You could surely use it for that, but I would not choose it for that. For me it sits on my mantle over the fireplace with this 1836 Commemorative rifle. BUT if Zombies walked the streets, I would strap this knife on.
Or dangerous game country. It handles quite nicely for it's size and weight.

Happiness is a tight group

Posts: 1524 | Location: Don't Mess With Texas | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sweet pic...

285 sounds like a steal for that....

Not really looking for any practical use from it...

I know it's big for hogs but I'd probably use it...

I agree it would be great for decapitating zombies!!!!

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Great photo. tu2 I asume from the photo it has a hidden tang? What's the blade width & length?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Specs from Cold Steel site:

Blade Length: 11 3/4"
Overall Length: 17 1/8"
Steel: SK-5 High Carbon
Weight: 24 oz
Handle: 5 3/8" Long
Sheath: Secure-Ex® Sheath

Q: Do all Cold Steel knives have a full tang?
Full tang construction is an important consideration when evaluating the strength of a knife. Originally, "full tang" meant a handle in which the edges of the tang are visible all around the outside of the hilt, so that the tang is fully as wide as the knife handle. However, with the advent of "driven-on" Kraton® handles, full tang has come to mean that a very substantial tang extends completely through the center of the handle right to the back of the pommel. This describes the tangs on all premium Cold Steel knives.

Q: How is Kraton® attached to the handles of Cold Steel knives?
To the best of our knowledge, Cold Steel was the first knife company in the U.S. to use Kraton® for the handle of a knife. Obviously we were correct in our choice of this material, because over the last 18 years almost every major manufacturer has adopted it for knife handles. There are two main ways to build a Kraton® handle.
The first is to make a "driven-on" handle. This is where the Kraton® handle is heated up to expand it slightly, then driven on top the tang of the blade. Once in place it can be held there by a ferrule or a bolt.
The second method is to make a "shot-on" handle. In this type of construction, the liquid Kraton® material is injected under heat and pressure around the tang of the blade where it hardens. Once it has hardened it is permanently attached to the tang and needs no bolts or a ferrule.

One of Us
Picture of doctorxring
posted Hide Post

This knife uses a tang with cable arrangement.
A steel cable with a threaded steel bolt on the end is mounted on the tang of the blade and then a nut on the end of the handle is properly torqued. Cold Steel says this is a very strong and durable arrangement. They torture test their knives beyond would any person would do in a practical use of the blade.

The specs on this particular knife are as follows. They make both an SK-5 model and a San Mai steel model. This one is a San Mai steel model.

Specifications:
Blade: 11 3/4"
Overall: 17 1/8"
Thick: 8mm
Weight: 19.9 oz.
Steel: VG-1 San Mai III®
Handle: 5 3/8" long.
300 Series Stainless
w/ Black Linen Micarta

This is a link to a demo video of this knife by
Cold Steel. It's a bit cheesy, but fun to watch -- and there is a little "piggy" action on it as well. Smiler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRk93Vlrd48

quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Great photo. tu2 I asume from the photo it has a hidden tang? What's the blade width & length?

Posts: 1524 | Location: Don't Mess With Texas | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is supposed to be a very close copy of the one in the Alamo. Wick Ellerbe in FLA makes an occasional one, but they are around $1200.
I want one...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of doctorxring
posted Hide Post

Idaho Sharpshooter --

You won't be disappointed if you do get one.
I'm fairly certain that both Bowie and Dundee
would agree that "this is a knife".

dxr