New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heat Treating Ovens?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been looking around to purchase a new oven for heat treating my blades. I found that Jantz and Sheffield sell various models. Does anyone else handle these types of ovens for the knife maker.

I just want to make sure I cover all the bases before I purchase and check out all prices with their options.

Thanks in advance,

HL

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Texas Knife Makers in Houston.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
I have used a kiln that TKM supply in Houston. It failed after awhile (3 times) and tried locating Davis Kilns the manufactor of my kiln for a replacemnet heating coil, no luck. The oven I plan to purchase if I decide to do my own heating treating in the future will be a Paragon. Check out their website if you are serious about it. You might want to consider building a nitrogen cooler too if you plan on heat treating any stainless that has more than 6 points of chromium in the metal.

http://www.paragonweb.com/Knife_Making_Furnaces.cfm

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. I'll look in to those also.

I'm not sure what the brands are that Jantz and Sheffield are selling. But, they are right around the same price.

HL

I just found that Jantz sells Evenheat along with Paragon. Is there a big difference between the two?

The Evenheat web site does not list a warranty period.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with the Evenheat product.

Thanks

HL

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Knife makers seem to usually get Evenheat or Paragon.Make sure you get the proper size and temperature .If you're doing stainless steels get one that will do 2200 F.