New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 Rem. VARMINT LOADS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Bought a NEW TO ME heavy barreled .223. Got so many powders that are appropriate that I don't know where to start.
Looking for some ideas for powder to use with 50-55 gr. bullets. NOT looking for data for bullets that weigh almost as much as the rifle!

The loads are intended to be used in an accurate varmint rifle---NOT in a target rifle of a LADIES deer rifle!

Thanks!
Hip

P.S. I can hear the grumbling already!!!

Posts: 1794 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Rem. 700 varmint model in .223. I use mostly 55gr. bullets with 27.5 gr. of BL-C(2). I have had the best luck with that powder in several different .222 and .223 rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hip,

I found a Remington 700 Classic .223 in like-new condition a few months ago.
I tried a few powders that normally work in the .223 some H322, H335, IMR 4198, and they all shot pretty well with Sierras and Hornadys.
At the range, one of the guys that shoots regularly suggested a powder I wasn't really familiar with, TAC.
The load I use now is 25 gr. of TAC with a Hornady 53 gr. VMAX, and it's consistent 1/2 to 5/8".
The .223 is a great little cartridge, and I wish you luck in finding what your rifle likes best!

Ed

Posts: 676 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This rifle is a Win. M70 Heavy Varmint. At first it shot terrible 6-7" groups. I thought maybe the barrel was shot out by a Prairie Dog shooter OR that it just needed to be broken in as it's condition was Pristine. It now has app. 200rds. through it and the groups have slowly shrunk in size.
Was shooting it Wed. when it went from 2" groups to a 7/16" group. The last (5) groups averaged around 1/2"
So you see that NOW it want's to shoot! My get on paper load was scrounged PMC brass Hornady 55gr. FMJ and 25 gr. of H335

!THANX Dale and Single----I have ALL of those powders!

Hip

Posts: 1794 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
22.4 IMR3031. Above that it goes South.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have I3031----will give that a try!

THNX!

Hip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hipshot--would enjoy a report if you try it. Thanks.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Car1

Will Do!

Hip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hipshot--You did ask for varmint load. My .223 is a Winchester model 70 and will shoot jacketed bullets very accurately. It will not shoot cast bullets with any of many combinations I tried, but that is okay as I have .222's and 22-250 that shoot cast bullets. Cast bullets are my varmint bullets (jackrabbits) and the 55 grain jacketed bullets are deer hunting. Several youth (mostly related to me) have taken many deer with .223.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah,
I was lookin' for Varmit loads!
I tried cast in my .218B and .222 and was not happy with the results. I did find a jacketed bullet load for my .218---4.3 gr. Unique and a 40 gr. Speer, got 1600+fps. which shoots as small as 1/8 " always under 1/2" in my Win. M43.

Hip