New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much H-4831 are you running under 140gr. Accubonds
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For those who are....how much H-4831 are you loading under the 140 grain Accubonds in a 270 Winchester? Anyone loading 58.5gr and what velocity are you getting? I have loaded that behind some Hornady 140gr. BTSPs but didn't have a chrongraph back then. Just curious before I start burning up powder. Just interested in H-4831. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Up to 60 grs in my Ruger No.1 I dont recall velocity but it is beyound 3200, Its a hell of a elk load, same with the 150 gr. 30-06 same 60 gr load..

NOTE: My H4831 is WWW2 surplus, the stuff that Jack C swore by in the day..I still have 30 or so pounds of that stuff, great powder..I like RL-22 as well and it sure measure better, but a 100 fps slower at considerably more pressure, but its worth the trade off...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
As Ray has alluded to there are different H4831 powders around from the original Hodgdon surplus to the newest made by ADI in Australia as AR2213SC and repackaged for Hodgdon as H4831SC. This newest 4831 is slightly faster burning in some cartridges than the old surplus H4831.

FYI the ADI loading data for AR2213SC/H4831SC with a 140gr SFT SP bullet in a 24" barrel with Win cases and WLR primers is as follows;

Starting load 59.0grs @ 57,000psi
Maximum load 62.5grs @ 63,000psi

I loaded for the 270 Win back in the 80's using the original H4831; 60.0grs for 130gr bullets and 58.0grs for 150gr bullets. I don't think the 140gr bullets for the 270 Win were available back then or not in my neck of the woods anyway. I didn't have a chronograph back then so don't know what velocity I was getting with the above loadings.

Sorry I can't help with personal load data for the 140gr bullet but different rifles will give different velocities, what you may get in your rifle with any particular load will only be known through putting them across the chronograph.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you men,
That's what I'm looking for. Oddly, I have a Winchester Supreme factory load that produces 3010 FPS and I want to duplicate it as it shoots 3 shots into one hole at 100yds. I know 58.5 grains won't get me there even though Nosler says it will.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How far off of the lands are you seating those .270 140 Grain Nosler Accubonds to get the best accuracy?
4WD

Posts: 670 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4WD,
I have not loaded any yet but got the accuracy from a factory load. They shot so well for me that I figured I would record the OACL before I shot them all up. The ones I had left measured 3.242, 3.248, 3.250 and 3.253 inches. It seems short to me, but it sure works. That is where I'm going to load mine and see. What surprised me as well was the velocity. Over 3000 avg. I'm numb to factory loads coming up 100 fps short. Load data too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is not a lot of shared information about the seating depth of the Nosler Accubonds out there from the guys that regularly use them.
The Nosler Manual is pretty generic listing the same .270 Win seating depth “3.320” for all of its 130gr, 140gr, and 150gr, Accubonds AND Partitions.
One well known gun builder shared a target over at 24HOUR that had good luck .440” @ 100yds with 59 grains of H4831SC with the “130 Grain Accubond” saying he got 3120fps. Seating depth of 3.342”

4WD

Posts: 670 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You cannot ask how much powder is required.

YOUR rifle might have a different max.

Different rifles can vary by several grains.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure I can. 58.5 grains of H-4831 is the maximum load that the Nosler manual lists. All I want to know is what people are getting for actual velocities and what their loads are. Never said I would use them. This entire forum; "Your Favorite Loads-Share Them With Us" is about that. Sharing loads. Every thread is subjective to various rifles, lot numbers/production runs, etc.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Hunter1:
Sure I can. 58.5 grains of H-4831 is the maximum load that the Nosler manual lists. All I want to know is what people are getting for actual velocities and what their loads are. Never said I would use them. This entire forum; "Your Favorite Loads-Share Them With Us" is about that. Sharing loads. Every thread is subjective to various rifles, lot numbers/production runs, etc.

And the manual is using a different rifle to yours.

Exactly the same rifles, using exactly the same factory ammo, varied by up to 150 fps.

My advice is forget about maximum velocities.

Better concentrate on accuracy.

A 100 fps will not make any difference in the field.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I used 58.5 grains of H4831 and I'd have to look to be sure but I'm almost positive my velocity was running 3050 fps from a Ruger #1 B 26" barrel.
It was accurate as well.
I'll add that in a .270 I never ran into a load no matter what bullet I shot using any 4831 or 4350 powder that wasn't at least an inch.
Still my favorite hunting round for deer elk and antelope. I have many other cartridges but my father started me on a .270 at a very young age and I have found no reason not to use it.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3069 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H4831 is the easiest powder in the world to work with to start with as you cannot get enough of it in the 270 or 30-06 to reach dangerous pressure and you get the highest velocity..I have used so much of it that it would push the bullets forward overnight in several guns to the point they wouldn't feed the following day..All that said and not recommending such practice as its not needed and your passed the increase of pressure its a stale mate..

My best loads with H4831 have been 60 to 62 grs with 130 gr. loads at 3200 plus or minus depending on the rifle and 58 with the 150s..Nothing is gained by going beyond that as its deminishing returns..With todays 3831s cut these loads by two grs.

I have moved on to RL-22 simply because it measures so easy and accurately with no grain cutting like the 4831s..4831 short grain might just be todays best powder in the 270??? don't know for sure but what little Ive used I sure liked, but ran out of the stuff to make a determination..

BTW at the time I used to play these games I had some test action with 22 inch barrels and a vise on a stump and a string to my log shop to hide in used it mostly for fire forming casesk but did a bit of testing with them..Its damn hard to blow up a modern gun..and no more those inported mauser actions at next to nothing..BTW I never could blow up a Jap N action, strong and double ugly

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW I have about 50 lbs of clean old ww2 4831 thats been well stored for years that I might part with under the right circumstances..Thhis stuff was selling for $40 per lb when powder was $12.00 a pound. sold about 100 or more pounds of it back then as fast as could get in that old paper where we ran out adds and shipped everythig gunny and no fuss..that was my America..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120