New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Load for .243W
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just finished today working up and finalising another .243W load. My current very accurate go-to load for varmints shoots the Hornady ELD-X 90 gn very nicely and I would much rather continue with them but I'm running low and in these uncertain times of component shortages my LGS can't say when they might have new stock.
Top Predator, a member here, really helped when he put me onto some Barnes TTSX 80 gn bullets he found ( and we also did a trade for some ) and there were enough to continue load development with this bullet. I started working up a 80 gn TTSX load some months back and had to stop when I ran out and was unable to buy more at the time. After working up I actually have two loads, one with W-760 and the other with AR2213sc, a powder my barrel really likes. Initially RL15 was also in the mix but I dropped it when the odd flyer occurred.
The pics below show results of the final loads, shot today. I'm very happy to have either load to go to when the ELD-X bullets run out.

Just FYI the AR2213sc load is slightly compressed and I think very close to max in my rifle. I also shot AR2213sc at 47.80 gns which was as accurate and shot to almost precisely the same POI but I detected a little more stiffness in the post-shot bolt lift. Primers for both loads look identical. Anyway I've settled on the 47.60 gn load and I'm sure it will be just great.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
That is a deadly, accurate load.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Karoo. Yes, a load accurate enough for my needs, so I'm happy.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
80 grain ttsx puts the 243 in another league!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote