New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Load for a new Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Recently acquired a Ruger American Rifle, Predator in .243W Wanted something a little lighter than my current Sako M591 .243W for walkabout hunts. Had four range sessions working up a load ( actually 2 loads ) and have just stared hunting the rifle this week. A pic here of the principal load for this rifle. So far I see the Hornady V-Max 87 gn is a quick and destructive killer. Just fine for pest shooting which is mainly what I am doing anyway.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
That's amazing accuracy at that distance. Cannot leave much of the bunnies with body shots.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Karoo
posted 16 September 2022 05:06
Cannot leave much of the bunnies with body shots.

Yes, that's what I'm finding. The bunny in the pic was killed by more or less total head disintegration. What remained of the skull was only attached by a sliver of skin. Both Hares were shot in the upper torso region. When I skinned them there was nothing recoverable in the upper body. Being lighter built I think bunny body shots would be even messier.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote