Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62 new favorite load
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
I've played with my 9.3 off and on since I got it 2 years ago, mostly with Ramshot Big Game powder and a few different bullets and right away it really liked sedate loads which was fine because it is a real light rifle and tough on you at the bench in extended sessions.
It showed a tendency to like some of the faster loads but was inconsistant so I've played with the seating depth. Like most 9.3's it is very long throated so touching the lands with 285 grain bullets isn't going to happen.
I settled on a load of 62.5 grains of Ramshot Big Game, CCI primers, Graf brass, and a 285 grain PRVI bullet loaded to 3.33" overall. Fits great in the magazine and feeds well and has printed some very nice groups for me right at an inch and some groups a little under. Today this load shot several nice groups for me and one of the 3 shot groups was .668".
This load clocks at 2360 fps in my rifles 20" ultra light barrel.
I recently painted the black synthetic stock to a sand colored textured finish and I really like it, however at the bench it "sands" my face a bit under recoil. I haven't been able to afford new rifle projects for awhile so painting the stock gave me that "new" rifle feel!
It also shoots the Norma 286 grain bullet to the exact same point of impact and prints the Speer 270 grain bullets just a bit higher but in line with the others, all with the same powder charge.

I must admit I am very pleased with this rifle and the way it handles. I posted pictures of it a year or so ago but like I said new paint job and its like having a new rifle!
It is a Mauser 98 action (Zastava) FN bolt and bottom metal, Timney trigger, Gentry 3 position safety, bargain basement barrel (Wilson I think), Nikon Monarch 2-7 scope and a real cheap Butler Creek stock with a $9.98 paint job on it.
I posted the same thread over in "Medium bores"

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Nice group! Looks like you can now groundhog hunt with that rifle. Wink
How about a bit more about your rifle, like what brand is that stock?

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote