New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Load for 30.06
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've had some Norma Oryx 180 gn bullets sitting around for years that I finally decided to work up a load with. The load would be useful for big game but for fun I intend using it mainly for varmints as the accuracy is very good. I'm shooting this load in my completely factory spec Tikka T3 which is one of those rifles having great accuracy from the word go. A rifle to never sell.
I was surprised at my chronographed velocity through the 22 inch barrel. The ADI Handloaders Guide shows a max load of AR2209 57.50 gns for 2798 fps through a 24 inch barrel. My loads do not show excess pressure signs and empty extraction is easy / normal. The real bonus is this load shoots just a tad under my present favourite big game load and no scope adjustment is needed to shoot either.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
That's a great load and ready for anything.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Karoo. Should be a fun load to use.
Cheers

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It will work for sure, a 180 30 cal at 2700 fps has been proven on all manor of game both PG and DG. Even elehants of Africa and the Brown Bear of Alaska with the proper bullets..
RAy

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote