Find
Notify
Tools

.280 Remington
 Login/Join

<.280 Sweden>
posted
Hi,

Today I had my box of Hornady SST 139grs that i will load with Norma 204 for my .280 Ruger.

And I will also try some Barnes XBT 130grs.

Have you guys any advace to give me?

Jonas, Sweden

[ 07-08-2002, 14:42: Message edited by: .280 Sweden ]

<dr280>
posted
Jonas,
Please post results of your tests- I for one would like to know how it goes.
Thanks
Dave

<dr280>
posted
Test Results-
Just to refresh-
Ruger M77 with 22 inch barrel
Leupold Vari X II 3x9x40 (was 50mm but switched to 40mm to get lower hold on stock)
Hornady 139gr SST
IMR 4831
WIN Brass and Primers
Shot today with "new" set-up, I had switched scopes- and had the barrel free floated this past week. Loads of 56 grains of IMR4831 shot at 2845 fps with group size average of 1.1 in. Loads of 57 grains of IMR4831 shot at 2910 fps and had 2 groups at .80 inch and one group at .455 inch. The last group I shot was the best. Both the speed and group size are in my "goal" parameters of .75 inch at 2800. The one reason I believe the last group was the best- I was weighing finished rounds to seperate them into groups when I got into weighing cases empty- and then bullets. So of course-I started weighing each bullet and seperating them into 3 groups- over/under and right on the 139 grain mark. The last group was made using bullets that were right on the 139 grains.
Overall- I think I might be onto something with weighing each component seperately- time-consuming- but time is not really a concern as I enjoy the process leading up to the final reward. I will be working up more loads with 57 grains and doing more testing to see if I can get consistent results. I was thinking about crimping- but not sure- I can't seem to find any posts with real pertinent info on crimping. I will keep posting results as I get them.

<.280 Sweden>
posted
Hi dr280,

Have you try IMR4350?
I had great succes with that powder both in .270W and .280Rem with ligher bullets around ~140grs.

Jonas

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Hee hee,

It's still up here on top!

------------------
Be content with what you have but never with who you are.

<dr280>
posted
Jonas,
Yes I tried IMR4350- go back to page one, about 3/4 of the way down the page. The results are post there.
Just to add to the thread (for Sarge, I put a new Ruger Number 1 on layaway today. In .280 of course. I hope to pick it up in a couple of months and will be playing with loads for it then.
I am working up some loads to see if I can duplicate the .45 groups with the IMR4831. Plan on testing this weekend if the weather cooperates. Dave

<.280 Sweden>
posted
Hi dr280,

Have you try IMR4350?

I had very good result with IMR4350 with light bullets like 140grs in both .270w and .280Rem.

Jonas, Sweden

<.280 Sweden>
posted

[This message has been edited by Jonas (edited 02-15-2002).]

<.280 Sweden>
posted

[ 07-23-2002, 14:57: Message edited by: .280 Sweden ]

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Ya'll can play around with all the different powders ya want but for 140 grain bullets and heavier, IMR4831 will make ya happy.

Be happy.

------------------
Be content with what you have but never with who you are.

<dr280>
posted
Finally a nice day- going out to my range to test the IMR4831 loads again. Will post reply with results tonight.
Dave

<dr280>
posted
Well, test results extremely POOR!! With 5 groups-the best 1.76 inches, the average was 3.39. Absolutely pathetic. I came back over to my bench and loaded up some IMR4831 at 57.5 grains and still 2" average. My gun guru friend was there with one of his latest purchases - a Colt Light Rifle, (which shoots one holers with Federal Gold Match ammo-let alone his handloads). He was pretty disgusted with way my M77 has performed overall. We came back and poured over all the targets and load data for the last 100 rounds. This guy has spent his life with guns and basically said that my rifle was not a shooter. We never have gotten a consistant load- of all the rounds fired, and groups- there is only about 5 holes that touch. The rest are spreaders. So... as with this game that we are all playing, a rifle that won't shoot- isn't worth owning. I am now the (hopefully- but reserved) owner of a new Ruger #1 in .300 WIN MAG. I am not throwing away the 280 dies- as I will own one again. But, with a lot of time invested in research- I settled on the 300 as rigth at the top of the list as one of the best all around calibers. I like the speed and as with the 280- the vast choices of bullets. I mounted the scope tonight and plan to shoot some factory ammo tomorrow to get a feel for it. So my new thread topic will be .300, but I won't be changing my username! Dave

one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Your getting rid of the .280? Does this mean you will no longer own a .280??????? If so, God have mercy on your soul........
Hopefully you'll have better luck with the 300.

Jarrett

[This message has been edited by Finley (edited 02-24-2002).]

Posts: 223 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Dave,

Get yourself one of them no good, cheap Remingtons in .280. Feed it a stiff load of IMR3481 and 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips and you will be happy.

------------------
The older I get the better I was.

<dr280>
posted
OK_
time to spill my guts here..........
Yes I traded the .280 for a .300 win mag, went to my range this morning on my 40 and shot a box thru it. AND I am glad to report that I will be going back to my gun shop to SWAP the .300 for a beloved .280. After just 10 rounds- my shoulder was feeling it and my trigger finger was shaking. It's not a wicked animal- it's just that if I want to sit down and shoot 25 rounds- ther is no way in hell that my groups will be very good after the first 2 or so. I want to enjoy shooting- not get punished by it. The bad thing is- I'm 6' 2" and push 210- I almost feel like I'm being a wuss- but I'm the one shooting for- so it's my shoulder that with feel better after my ego heals. I'm glad to be back in the .280 works and will let every one know how my NEW #1 in .280 shoots!!!!!!!!

<dr280>
posted
Well,,,
A quick trip to Clare and I now have a #1 in .280. Loaded up ten rounds and went to my range. 2 shot sight in and the first group was 1.08 inch @ 3100 fps. Next group was .89 inch at the same. Then the groups were abandon for a little long range practice/competition with my .280 vs. buddies Colt Light Rifle .30-06. I set a 4" x 4" piece of cut concrete on a post at 365 yards (laser range finder). I won the coin toss and got to shoot first. A pretty good quartering gusty wind- I held about a foot over and 2 inches of wind dope.....
DUSTED!!!! I was very pleased to say the least. Brent missed 4 times and connected twice once he got the hold over right. I shot the next one 2 inches low- the post showed it- and just missed the last one. I have ordered a new set of dies to full length size and will try crimping some SST's to see if anything is better. Glad to be back to the .280 and took a pretty good licking from the boys about the .300- but I knew heading back for the swap was the only sensible thing to do since the .280 has been a favorite for 10 years and would be very hard to replace. I will continue to post results as usual. Dave

<.280 Sweden>
posted
Some test with 139grs SST with Norma 204:
54grs NOrma 204 and CCI BR-2 shoot not good at all, four shoots in 2 inch at 100yds.
I will put in some more powder and se what happening, if that not help I will try Norma MRP.

Jonas

<dr280>
posted
Test result-

Ruger #1
Leupold 3x9x40
Hornady SST 139- Moly coated
Win Brass and Primer
58.5 grains of Reloader 19
didn't take the Crony-speed guesstimate 3100
group measured .362

I have 7 different loads ready for testing and am just waiting for good weather.

Good shooting- Dave

<dr280>
posted
Tested Today- results posted
Ruger #1, Leupold 3x9x40
Win Brass, and primers, Hornady 139 SST
Powder Charge Ave Speed 5 shot Group
H4831 57 grains 2875 .74
H4831 58 grains 2925 1.25
RL19 58 grains 2950 1.32
IMR4350 57 2925 1.10
IMR4350 57.5 2965 1.14
IMR4831 57.5 3035 .85

I think I have finally ruled out any powder other than IMR4831. I may still try RL22,
but the speed and group size is workable with IMR4831. I plan to float the forearm and run some rounds with a crimp. I am having the trigger worked by my gunsmith- the creep is not consistant- one pull is great and the next is forever.....
Will try to test again on Sunday with the crimped loads.
Dave

<.280 Sweden>
posted
Hi,

I have upgrade my .280-homepage with a side about .280 Ackley Improved.
http://communities.msn.se/280RemingtonSweden

Jonas

<dr280>
posted
Tested today

Ruger #1

powder IMR4831

57 grains 139 SST ave 5 shot group 3050
with a crimp .85 inch

56 grains Nosler 140 ave 5 shot group .95 at 2950

I have decided to stick with the SST- and to do a custom accurizer (like a Hicks) and try to tune to the load. I did notice that the crimp gave my more consistant velocity- and about .15 better group size.

I am going to load 50 rounds and start playing with the accurizer.

<.280 Sweden>
posted
Hi dr280,

Sounds that you and SST has find each other!
I will give the SST some more trying, with hotter loads. Many say that bullet want hotloads.

JOnas

<dr280>
posted
New powder test-
purchased some Reloader 22 last night, loaded up rounds of 58,59,60 grains using 139SST's and 140 Noslers
The speed results were very good- due to the 2 inch longer barrel of a #1- and the slower powder.
Load bullet speed
58 gr Hornady 2985
59 gr Hornady 3065
60 gr Hornady 3135

58 Nosler 2895
59 Nosler 2998
60 Nosler 3110

Have loaded up 5 rounds with each bullet at 60 grains. Plan to shoot and see which groups better. Have ordered a Hicks Accurizer and should get it tomorrow and install it. Once I get preliminary groups from above load- I will start messing with the accurizer.

<dr280>
posted
Well- preliminary results with RL22 look too good to be true---

60 grains RL22
Hornady 139 SST average speed for 5 shots- 3225 with a group of 1.2 inches (4 touching and a flyer)
Nosler 140 Ballistic Tip ave speed 3215 with 5 shot group size .70!!!

Just installed the Hicks Accurizer and haven't even messed with it yet. Just installing it has floated the barrel- so it it will be interesting to find out of well it works. It looks like the Reloader 22 is the ticket to this point. Will load another 10 rounds with each bullet and see which is more consistent- then start playing with the Accurizer.

<dr280>
posted
Tested today-
RL22 59 grains
Nosler 140 Bt

average speed for 5 groups of 5 3015 fps
average group size .85
best group .640

The best groups were the 2nd and 4th
and the other 3 had the following pattern that I am trying to figure out

2nd shot just under 1 inch over the first
and the next 3 clover leaved between the first 2.
Not sure why- but will keep working at it.
I do think that I have found MY LOAD for this rifle!!

<.280 Sweden>
posted
Hi dr280,

Nice load! It take some time to find a accurance load, congratulation!

I have done little shooting and reloading the last time...... But I will start now.

The Ballistic Tip is a real "hair-splitter", my .280 shoots best with the 150grs.
Have you try it?

Jonas

[This message has been edited by Jonas (edited 04-15-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
dr280- as a fan of the 280 I thought I would pass this along for what its worth. If your rifle like IMR 4831 you may want to try H4831 the burn rate is almost the same and in regards to one of your earlier posts regarding temp. this powder isn't as temp seneitive. I don't know if you tried more that the 58gr of R-19 but my 280 (Ruger M77) came into it's own at 59.5 of R19 and 150gr Seirrias. You must have gotten the #1 from Jays. I'm just south of there and they get a lot of my business also.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
<dr280>
posted
Rich,
I actually worked at Jay's for six years, in the gun department for 3 years and as a buyer for 3 years. Yes- I purchase all my stuff there..
I did try H4831 and got very good accuracy from it- but it was terribly slow. I think I posted results on it, but maybe not. The 26" barrel on the #1 required a touch slower powder- and RL19 even to 61 grains (shhh- don't tell anyone I went that high- I was using my crony- and thats where the increase in speed stopped) was just under 3000fps.
I had a goal from the start for my #1-
5 shots under .75 inch- over 3000 fps- with a 140 hunting bullet. As you can read in all my tests- I tried just about everything- even swapping rifles at one point. Now- I am going to glass bed my Hicks Accurizer- and really try to squeeze the groups down.
I work in Remus- and travel to Mt. P at least once a week.. it would be nice to get together and do some shooting. I have 2 ranges set up- one a 100 yard with a lean to for paper punching and handguns- and another 400 yarder for long range poking from the back of my truck. It's pretty cool to explode a Hogdon powder bottle at 400 yards! Shoot me an e-mail and we could try to set something up.
Dave

<Chuck66>
posted
Dr280,

Just came across your post's and compared your data to mine and it is very close. I went through I4831,AA3100,I4064,I4350,RL19,and lastly RL22. RL22 was my choice, 57gr.@2805fps. with a .68 five shot group. I also found as was mentioned by someone earlier that my 280 liked the 150 NBT's. This is a Model 725 Remington factory rifle with no work done to it (24in. brl)

I stopped at 58gr., Dont know why? as there where no pressure signs only that it gave me an inch group and 2817fps. I shall have to try working up towards that 60 mark and see what happens.

Chuck

<dr280>
posted
Chuck,
Mine likes 140 BT the best- I've not tried the 150 as I like the idea of 3000+ fps.
I don't think I could get there with a 150.
I am still battling the consistency with one group to the next. I have yet to bed the accurizer- so that should be the ticket.
I will post results as the come- and I hope you do as well.
Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
My best accuracy is with 139 & 162 Horns tied with 150 Rem CL. With the 150s I shoot 2900fps but may play with some diff powder this summer. 22"barrel. Suprisingly Horn 162s also get almost 2900 they seem to be a faster bullet than the Rems?

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
<nick humphreys>
posted
I have had the best results im my Remington Mountain Rifle with H -4831 and 160 grain Nosler Partitions, great velocity and great accuracy. Try this website for reloading the .280.

http://stevespages.com/284_1.html

For safety reasons always start low and work your way up.

<jd_1>
posted
Nick, How about giving us a little more detail of your load (grains, velocity, ect.).

<nick humphreys>
posted
jd-1

Excuse me for being vague, but I keep hearing about possible litigation problems when relaying information on the internet especially in the US. The Canadian government has succeeded in making me paranoid.

I use what would be considered by some to be a hot load that exceeds some of the recommended maximums. Steve's reloading page that I mentioned in my last email approximates my loads. I get 2800+fps with 160 grain partitions, under 1" at 100 yds, and use the short cut H-4831. My eyesight is not nearly as good as it used to be and under 1" is the best I can do with any rifle. I have been told there is no difference between the short cut and the normal powder, but the short cut meters better.

Regards, Nick

<.280 Sweden>
posted
Hi,

Now have I found a pet load for roedeer, goona use this in summer.

Sierra Game King 140grs
Norma 204 55grs
CCI BR-2
Norma cases

This load do around 3000fps and will easy group five shoot inside one inch from 100yards.

With Norma 204 is this load max for my Ruger.

Jonas

<roybaddy>
posted
Congradulations Jonas. I have been using N-204 in my 280's for the last 7 or 8 years with great success. I have found that the Sierra 140's are a wonderful bullet both in accuracy and performance. I should also say that my #1 prints around .5 with the sierra 160's. I found that they can be loaded very fast without a great deal of pressure signs. I can chronograph at least 2975 fps with little pressure signs in the Ruger #1. I use these same load also with a Model 70 FWT and a M77. I should also say that I have found that N-204 is ideal for almost any of the 06 case family. My 25/06's shoot groups consistantly around .625" with the Sierra 117 Sp. I can't find a faster or more accurate load for my 270 Win using Sierra 130gr Sp. And Finally my venerable 30/06 does caniptions with 165gr Sierras and N-204. I am building a 6.5/06 with this powder in mind. Might go the "improved version" not for velocity.....get all I need with N-204.....but so that I can get better barrel life.....keeping the powder burning in the case longer.

<.280 Sweden>
posted
Yes,

Norma 204 are a great powder for these cases!
This is my favorite powder for .270W and now for my .280Rem.

It handle bullet weights from 140-175grs great.
What are your loading data for Sierra Game King 160grs?
Last load with the bullets use 52grs of 204, a accurate one. But I think my rifle can handle up to 54grs.

Most 160grs bullets I load was with MRP, but I think it�s little to slow in my 22" barrel.
Will start more tests with 160 and 204.........
Next 160grs I will try ais Barnes X, if it shoot well I have a great load for everything from roedeer to moose.
Is there any experiance of that bullet here?

Jonas

[This message has been edited by Jonas (edited 05-23-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite .280 Rem load is 59 grs. Re-19, Rem cases, Federal 210's with the Barnes 120 gr. XBT. My custom Ruger puts three into .25-.46 inches at 100yds.
You might want to consider going a couple of steps light with the X bullet. They retain close to 100% of their weight, much of the time. That means the 120 gr. X will penetrate like a 175 gr. Nosler Partition. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<.280 Sweden>
posted
Witch Sierra Match King shoots best in yours .280Rem?
140grs, 150grs or 168grs?

I have never try and need advice where to start.

Jonas

one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
Jonas,

My Ruger M77 likes the 168gr Matchkings with a max load of RL 22. Its good to see this thread is still alive. It seems the .280 has quite the loyal following.

Jarrett

Posts: 223 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2001Reply With Quote