THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HORSE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Horse    Good movie to see about horses
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good movie to see about horses
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Saw this one at the Banff film festival, about a group of college graduates who decide to celebrate their achievement by riding adopted mustangs from the Mexican border to Canada. Unbranded, available from Amazon

http://cedarcreekmedia.com/unbranded/

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Bought mine at Walmart

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19306 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dang. Looks good!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
My wife and I watched this the other night on Netflix. Wasn't too bad.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1810 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Gov. has or had a program wherein a prison in Oklahoma I think were having ttheir prisners break and train Mustangs for the public, and they did a very good job of it...I tried one out as a fellow I know had one..Tough little bugger, ugly little booger but I would be more than willing to hunt of him or cover some rough country...

Not my cup of tea, but some folks might like one and they are free of charge or were..Not sure as its been some time.

I known they had a herd reduction sale here and the better ones sold for $25 to $50, but they were only haulter broke..My neighbor has 3 of them and they are 5 now and still unbroke, and always will be..She wants me to break them but at my age I'm not ready to take on a 5 year old Mustang I don't think..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I have seen the odd one that turned into a decent pony, but most of those broom tailed shitters are not marketable and never will be. Hell, there are all sorts of free horses around these days that aren't going to paw your head off.

My wife and I drove by some of the holding facilities for the thousands of horses that are not adoptable and will spend the rest of their days in pens, getting run down a shoot and onto a tipping table once and a while to get their feet trimmed. It's a ridiculous situation that could be taken care of easily.......... if it wasn't for the do-gooders. I love these animal rights dipshits.......... in their quest to SAVE the wild horses, they condemn them to the exact opposite of what they claim wild horses should be entitled to.

A bullet would be a more compassionate ending.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1810 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
bullet would be a more compassionate ending.

I agree.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
The Utah prison at Gunnison Utah used to house Mustangs and the there were a number of prisoners involved in breaking and training as well as just general taking care of the mustangs.

A year ago the State and the BLM got in a pissing match over how much the BLM should pay the state for housing and care of the horses. State told them to hit the road and they move 500-600 mustang to someplace else. The prison had bought up all the hay in the general area and they had a big sale of hay that was no longer needed.

I know a fellow in Fremont Utah that his sole job is breaking mustangs. He picks up several a year from the BLM and competes in Mustang Makeovers and other competitions. He also brings in mustangs that others adopts and breaks them.

Some of these mustangs that he has ridden with me are wonderful horses. So it really depends what herd they come out of.

I also know Val a little bit ( the fellow who helped those boys in the unbranded film) he helped them get their mustangs going and helped them a lot across Arizona driving his rig and meeting up with them at various points. All of his horses are mustangs. And the herd of 8-10 mustangs I saw in his string up in Hawks Rest were very large horses. Mot the typical small broomtail hammer head horses you often see. So again, It makes a big difference which herd you the BLM rounds up and you adopt from.

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Painted Horse:
The Utah prison at Gunnison Utah used to house Mustangs and the there were a number of prisoners involved in breaking and training as well as just general taking care of the mustangs.

A year ago the State and the BLM got in a pissing match over how much the BLM should pay the state for housing and care of the horses. State told them to hit the road and they move 500-600 mustang to someplace else. The prison had bought up all the hay in the general area and they had a big sale of hay that was no longer needed.

I know a fellow in Fremont Utah that his sole job is breaking mustangs. He picks up several a year from the BLM and competes in Mustang Makeovers and other competitions. He also brings in mustangs that others adopts and breaks them.

Some of these mustangs that he has ridden with me are wonderful horses. So it really depends what herd they come out of.

I also know Val a little bit ( the fellow who helped those boys in the unbranded film) he helped them get their mustangs going and helped them a lot across Arizona driving his rig and meeting up with them at various points. All of his horses are mustangs. And the herd of 8-10 mustangs I saw in his string up in Hawks Rest were very large horses. Mot the typical small broomtail hammer head horses you often see. So again, It makes a big difference which herd you the BLM rounds up and you adopt from.

That is true in some places. I know of a few herds up here in Canada where locals have deliberately kicked loose some decent horses to try and improve the gene pool....... at least visual conformation improvements more along the lines of what people like to see.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your tax dollars are paying the feed bill for thousands of penned old mustang horses, The bill is in the millions per year, just another Liberal drain on our tax dollar by a gov. who bowed to pressure from Mustang Annie and her small band of liberal Ivory tower gangsters..

The mostly feral not mustange horses were allowed ruin the range in many case that was supposed to support elk, deer and other wildlife, its a travesty for sure.

Personally I would never own a mustang, too many good horses out there to be had..I won't waste my time on a ugly horse of any kind, simply because it may be the best horse in the world, but you can't give ugly away..Spend a year or more training a good rope horse for whatever disiplane you choose, spend big money getting him there, and then its not worth the time and money you put in it, and in the case of a mustang, he is only suitable for riding fence, if your a good bronc rider. Roll Eyes

Why can't we cull horses by shooting them or gathering them and sending them to Canada for processing, not all of them but a reasonable number of them and let the range heal and the elk and deer come back. It only makes since to me to let ALL the amnimals share the prosperity of proper management. But our gov. and a coalition of liberals contend the wildlife is they valuable than inbred wild horses..

That is what happens when Gov. gets too big..and like in most every case they can screw up an anvil with a powder puff.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The way I hear it is that all the U.S. horses that sell by the pound at auctions wind up in Canada for meat and hides (sold to the killers whether anyone admits it or not). Then the hides come back to the U.S. be made into leather.

Talk about upside down.

It's an issue I had with the theme in Unbranded that wild (feral) horses have a RIGHT to ruin the range.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19306 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
The way I hear it is that all the U.S. horses that sell by the pound at auctions wind up in Canada for meat and hides (sold to the killers whether anyone admits it or not). Then the hides come back to the U.S. be made into leather.

Talk about upside down.

It's an issue I had with the theme in Unbranded that wild (feral) horses have a RIGHT to ruin the range.

Or Mexico.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Saw it on Netflix. Better than watching "Barbie does the news" but still propaganda from folks who condemn thousands of horses to dying in a pen that they hate. Also the same syndrome is causing thousands of unwanted "pets" to end up starving to death in not so visible ways because there is no legal way to move them out of the unwanted category. I have had the luxury of having buried several World National and other champions in the pastures but many folks don't. I have been blessed with great horses and the ability to run a backhoe and the heart to put them down with love. Others: They are sometimes hauled and released or just starved behind the fence when the hay runs out. No way for a servant animal with no peer to have it's life ended.
Found it interesting in the show how human nature always trumps everything else. At the end, people did what people do. Each served themselves and called it "right."

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote