THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HORSE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Horse    Be Careful WHAT Stirrups are used
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Be Careful WHAT Stirrups are used
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I went on a guided hunt in Wyoming last Fall.
As a typical hunter, I was using a standard set of hunting boots which have lug soles.
About 3 hours into the horseback treck to the hunting camp, we all had to dismount for a break. When I attempted to dismount, I needed help getting my boots out of the stirrups. My outfitter then told me it was my problem and don't let it happen again or it could be fatal.
Since then I learned that the outfitter should have provided stirrups that were large enough not to bind my boots.
This is something that should have been on my check list before the hunt.
I was lucky, because I didn't have a serious problem, but having to ride 15 hours per day using my toe hold was very taxing.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard to believe an "Out Fitter" wouldent have Over shoe Stirrups. Must have thought you would hunt in Cow Boy Boots !!! Good way to get hurt BAD !

Hang on TITE !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pay money, you deserve a safe trip, his problem to solve. I only use over size bent wood stirrups hunting or trail riding, not classy, but you can get your boots out when you have to.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
We only ever used trapaderas for hunting boot horseback hunts. Because in most elk country, you need hiking/hunting boots. I hunted a lot as a kid with cowboy boots, and it kind of stinks.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These ones are a little more ornate, than I have ever used. I don't know what they are called in English. It is not an Canadian/English/American concept. But they work well on mountain elk hunts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best of hunting and riding boots:

http://www.whitesboots.com/ind...view&category_id=445

Lots of options--

BTW BWW they are Tapaderos, not Trapaderos-

beer

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have never had feet that would work for whites.

If you have narrow feet with high insoles this might work for you.

Whites are similar to the Chinese foot torture device from 1000 years ago.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually I see tapaderas and tapaderos, I wonder if it is a female word or a male one.

Your right not "trap" aderos/aderas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys need to buy the caged, oversized stirrups they sell for endurance riding. Endurance riders compete on courses of 50 or 100 miles so those folks know what works. The stirrups are oversized and caged so that your hunting boots fit but won't go too far into the stirrup. They also have generous padding for the bottom of your boot. I've ridden in them and they work. I used to accompany my wife on training rides. Try looking up actionrider tack.com.

Posts: 113 | Location: Maryland 's Eastern Shore | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wwgreener:
You guys need to buy the caged, oversized stirrups they sell for endurance riding. Endurance riders compete on courses of 50 or 100 miles so those folks know what works. The stirrups are oversized and caged so that your hunting boots fit but won't go too far into the stirrup. They also have generous padding for the bottom of your boot. I've ridden in them and they work. I used to accompany my wife on training rides. Try looking up actionrider tack.com.

100% agree, I haven't been out west to hunt but would love to. if I go i'm taking my own stirrups.

http://www.ridingwarehouse.com...descpage-EEUSES.html

just got these with cages for my wife, she said makes a huge difference for her knees & feet. the cages that come with these ones are JUNK but distancedepot.com has some biothane replacements.

many of you may look and say "$150 for my own stirrups that i will use once a year, that should be the outfitters job" if i was going on more than one pack trip in my life, i would buy a good pair and be done

Posts: 178 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 14 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeez, my first saddle was a McClellan I paid $5 for back about 1964. Those shallow toed stirrups were a major pain about an hour into the ride.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
My outfitter then told me it was my problem and don't let it happen again or it could be fatal.

How in the world would that be your issue??? He would be a one timer.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Piss poor outfitter, he should have seen that to start with. An outfitter who knows his business uses those big red plastic stirrups made especially for big oversize hunting boots, end of story..The hunter is not responsible for a damn thing IMO and I make that clear to my outfitters that I book for. You are paying for service, and that's what you should get..

As to Tapaderos, the rt. foot is masculine, the left is female, hows that! Roll Eyes For big boots I don't care for Taps as they limit the amount of foot that can be put in them with big feet or boots..

I use taps sometimes but I also wear cowboy boots and I always wear spurs when I ride, but I am a cowboy, have been since birth, I rope professionally, and still break and train an ocassional colt, and I work cattle often engough to dread it...Makes a big difference.

With the advent of the old but new again very square toed boots, I find them to be a good hunting boot for what its worth, I can walk in them anywhere, and I can get a whole foot in my stirrups..Perhaps for the average hunter, the Whites packers are the best all around hunting boot in the world, horse back are on foot,as Sean suggested...

I can't imagine riding all day with just my toes in the stirrups as some recommend. That's poor advise from amatuers...My stirrups whatever type allow me to stick my whole foot in a stirrup and my foot comes out very easy..Your toe cannot support your body.

BTW those big red plastic stirrups will take a Sorrel boot or any other cold weather boot, they are "cheap", and can be ordered from National Ropers supply in Denton Texas..Every hunter should buy a pair and have his outfitter change them out, that would be appreciated for sure and good insurance for the hunter.

I also have a set of taps with custom made big stirrups and sheep skin lined, that I can were my sorrels with in the winter and these taps will keep your feet dry and warm no matter what you wear. I love them for the cold Idaho winter days, its a blessing. I also recommend chaps, I like the chink typs with enough fringe to keep the snow from building up on my toes with snow they sweep the snow off and keep the boot dry.

An outfitter should realize that many hunters are not necessarily horsemen, if fact most are not. He should have a list of your needs to prevent such things from happening.

I hope passing this on helps someone to have a better and more comfortable hunt..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heck Ray,

I sure wouldn't recommend them here, but I mostly ride oxbows that let me ride with the stirrup clear to the boot heel.

Like I said, they aren't for everyone-----

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, I don't use them but I don't wear cleated huge boots to hunt in either..If I wore those klunkers Id wear them..Actually I like the newer slanted stirrups rawhide covered, they sure helped my knees sometime back, I got a pair and it a couple of weeks the knee problem was over..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guide I was hunting with last week had the aluminum crooked stirrups on the saddle I was using. They were really nice. My boots (Meindle Denali) had no problem fitting in them and had plenty of free movement. They also seemed to relieve a lot of pressure on my legs.

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heeler75:
Guide I was hunting with last week had the aluminum crooked stirrups on the saddle I was using. They were really nice. My boots (Meindle Denali) had no problem fitting in them and had plenty of free movement. They also seemed to relieve a lot of pressure on my legs.

Size aside, crooked stirrups are the only way to fly.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19307 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:

I have never had feet that would work for whites.

If you have narrow feet with high insoles this might work for you.

Whites are similar to the Chinese foot torture device from 1000 years ago.

Whites are made to fit. If they don't fit you went to the wrong dealer. I'd go straight to whites if you really wanted some.

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Russell:
Heck Ray,

I sure wouldn't recommend them here, but I mostly ride oxbows that let me ride with the stirrup clear to the boot heel.

Like I said, they aren't for everyone-----

High heeled boots are of no real value unless you're using oxbows. I have to admit that 5" oxbows made me a bit nervous about not being able to get out of them. And was chastised a time or two for not using 4.5" oxbows. As long as you don't go down! You can never accidentally lose those oxbows.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
There have been a guide or two have saddles with overshoe stirrups but on a good saddle and a good mule you don't need stirrups anyway!

Got a bunch of stitches last week when I tried sawing my leg off with a chainsaw. I rode this morning just letting my leg dangle out of the stirrup. Leg didn't hurt and didn't miss the stirrup.

You don't NEED stirrups anyway. You guys are just a bunch of sissies. Smiler Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
yep Im STIRRUP SISSIE...just like my dad, grandpaw, and those that came before me.. CRYBABY

BTW I have a set of the metal slanted stirrups Id let go for $50. I prefer the wood and leather covered slants..I wouldn't use any other stirrup other than a pair of Visalia filigreed oxbows that were handed down for a bunch of generations, man are they purty!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120