New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mustang Millionaire
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any of you guys watch this show? I would be interested in your comments. Personally, I would be much more interested in seeing more of how they train their mustangs. the top guys (who won it last year) had his trained and they showed nothing about how he did it!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have watched it twice..I didn't much like it, There are two good horse trainers in the whole bunch as far as I can tell...

besides I consider todays Mustang a feral horse and not worth much except for nostalgics of which I can be, but not for inbred horses that if they have any true Mustang foundation its very small..
For too many year the wild horse has been sujected to folks turning their horse loose among the herds because they couldn't feed them, didn't want to kill them, were into that let them run free state of mind even though they had injuries or health problems, and ranchers for years turned studs loose in the herds to upgrade them right or wrong.. its just a mess if you stop and think about it...Then with all the killer plants shut down over the country, hundreds, perhaps thousands of poorly bred pasture pets have been turn loose on Govt. land, and along the hiways, then ran into Gov.t land to prevent vehicle accidents, Mostly because of the shut down of the plants, as folks had no other alternative..

Like most things, when old Uncle Sam gets involved it goes to hell in a handbasket almost over night...an govt. managers will fold like a wet towell under pressure from Wild Horse Anne and her mangy herd of ill advised lovelys that live in penthouses and Hollywood and have no clue.

Not to mention the land depredation the horse can cause, and the some half a million the govt. has in pens costing tax payers billions and they can't kill them because of the ill advised but strong environmental movement..but to hell with the deer, elk and antelope that starve to death because of the horses...

Just my take, and now I'm off my soap box for today.! horse

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, which two?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter,
I don't even recall which two, and it was just a guess anyway, you never know what's real and what's contrived on those reality shows.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We were told that in Nevada at least, the ongoing drought has killed most of the feral horses, just Burros left.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't see the show but you fellas should see Guy Mclean "The horseman from Susan River".

I understand that he's won the Colt Starting Championship over there the last couple of years.

He's living in Texas most of the year.

If he does a clinic anywhere near you I recommend that you go. It's definitely worth seeing him start a colt.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is an abundance of "mustangs" in Nevada, they are a hardy breed of animal and tougher than nails, I don't know who is making those claims but I can show them as many as 4 or 500 in a bunch..I know one rancher that feeds about 800 of them out of his own pocket..but to hear the liberals tell it the ranchers are the scourge of the land, just the opposite from what Ive seen, they just believe in "management" of all the wildlife and sometimes the horse become too competitive with deer antelope and elk..all species need culling sooner or later and that's just not happening with the horses, and the lies coming out of Washington and the far left are always the same, just that lies! Drought always kills some animals, mostly old mares and studs, and weak colts, but hey it feeds the preditors and they need to eat also and the preditors need to be managed as well.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't rate any of the "trainers" on the show. You have 120 days to get the horse going, and it's not truly wild, they are all branded!

There was a bloke here who broke in 14-20 truly wild horses every 14 days. The horses hewas working on were often 6-7 years old and had never ever been touched, they were born on 3-4000 sq mile cattle stations. They only have to miss 1 or 2 musters and they become very hard to get in.

I worked with a horseman who lived with Jim Wilton, and he also worked with Glen Randall, he saw some of Ray Hunt and Buck while in the US and he thought they were not a patch on Jim. 120 days is a very very long time to have a horse and only be doing basic stuff with it.

Have a look here at a very brief clip from his video. He was not good on camera, but I think the images of the trick team speak volumes for his ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTh7DBQ-_fA

Posts: 65 | Location: yarra valley Australia | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell Steve:
I had a rotten spoiled gold mare that could and WOULD do some of those things: Rear up, hop up n down (re: buck), walk/run sideways, and a whole bunch of other things it took years to "knock" out of her brains so she'd stop such nonsense. She even "laid down" with me a few times. Of course a good whack between the ears with a quirt handle caused it when she'd reared up. But, hey, that's besides the point, right?

She also did a splash dance in a mud hole much like that until she sunk to her belly in it because of the tantrum. Only reason she even got close to the place was a "spook" from a white rag on brush.

Then you should have stood back watching the day we loaded her in the trailer. Nearly cut her in half with a rope thru the bars up front.
Before that she was between the trk n trl a couple times and on both sides a bunch, even both front hoofs on the roof for Christ's sakes.
Once she got the message she loaded right nice the next dozen times. She even ate n drank in there for the next month or so. After that she was plumb decent to load, just ride/lead her to the gate and toss the rope/reins over her neck and she'd go right on in like she loved it or something.

God did everyone a good deed that day he sent a lightning bolt to 'attract' her for good. Dad, I and several others felt a .22 bullet would have been a hell of a lot easier to solve her problems than trying to work thru them. Whole lot cheaper at the vet too.

We knew better than to try taking her to the elk mtns. Some places up there were a bit far to carry saddle n tack out on our backs so we just left her home.

During the same time period we "raised" a small herd of brahma's too. You know what they are Atch? "God's Sacred Cattle", right? Fence jumpin SOB's!~! Dad claimed all this fairly well kept (me) his kid outta trouble in his (my) teenage years. Whole lotta things he never found out about though!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey George, yeah I know about the Brahma's, they are run up in the North on the big stations. Again mst won't see humans untill they are nutted and the again when yarded for trucking to port or abbs. Many up North think that scrubbers are more dangerous than the Buff, less predictable, faster and just as tough.

I have had heaps of horses like the one you describe, they can be fixed pretty easily.

Posts: 65 | Location: yarra valley Australia | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:

God did everyone a good deed that day he sent a lightning bolt to 'attract' her for good. Dad, I and several others felt a .22 bullet would have been a hell of a lot easier to solve her problems than trying to work thru them. Whole lot cheaper at the vet too.

Made the mistake of buying a mare one time. Was kinda like the one you described. She was just plain mean. Turned a docile gelding into a mean SOB out in the pasture.

When I finally got her back in the trailer a couple weeks later I hauled her back to the place from which she came. Opened the gate. Turned her loose, and never looked back.

Expensive lesson for a city boy!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19307 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aussie steve:
I don't rate any of the "trainers" on the show. You have 120 days to get the horse going, and it's not truly wild, they are all branded!

There was a bloke here who broke in 14-20 truly wild horses every 14 days. The horses hewas working on were often 6-7 years old and had never ever been touched, they were born on 3-4000 sq mile cattle stations. They only have to miss 1 or 2 musters and they become very hard to get in.

I worked with a horseman who lived with Jim Wilton, and he also worked with Glen Randall, he saw some of Ray Hunt and Buck while in the US and he thought they were not a patch on Jim. 120 days is a very very long time to have a horse and only be doing basic stuff with it.

Have a look here at a very brief clip from his video. He was not good on camera, but I think the images of the trick team speak volumes for his ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTh7DBQ-_fA

It's probably a great video but I can't understand that foreign language Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19307 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Turn the volume down mate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are good trainers and bad trainers..I have seen a few good feral horses, they are tough and you can ride them anywhere and if a good trainer gets them first they make decent ranch horses...IMO horses are the product of their owner, end of story.

A lot of great horsemen come out of Aussy land, one of the best horse trainers I have ever known and has turned that talent into big bucks is Chris Cox and he has his own TV show..He is one hell of a horse trainer..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120