THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Recoil pad dimensions - 375 or 416

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recoil pad dimensions - 375 or 416 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What’s the minimum size you would do on a recoil pad for a 416 or 375? I’m looking at going either 5 or 5.25 inches from heel to toe and 1.75 in width.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Medium Pachmeyr is 5.5 x 1.8.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And the medium is big enough for a 416?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Measure your stock????? is the common practice, then buy one thats just a tad larger, A 1" pad is normal..I use a Silvers pad as a rule..All a pad does however is give the gun a one inch run at your shoulder, held properly I see no use for a pad, perfer a fitted neidner steel or something of that sort...speaking for myself, and in some cases like on my 280 Ackley IMP a 1/4" pad. its handy in that it stands in a cornor without slipping and falling.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Measure your stock????? is the common practice, then buy one thats just a tad larger, A 1" pad is normal..I use a Silvers pad as a rule..All a pad does however is give the gun a one inch run at your shoulder, held properly I see no use for a pad, perfer a fitted neidner steel or something of that sort...speaking for myself, and in some cases like on my 280 Ackley IMP a 1/4" pad. its handy in that it stands in a cornor without slipping and falling.

Let me clarify. I’ve got a stock blank that I’m currently shaping. I’m wondering how small is too small for a big bore. Current dimensions of the stock are about 5 inches heel to toe and about 1.75 inches wide. Can I go any smaller on the heel to toe measurement?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you are a very small person, you are about there at 5"

Posts: 1070 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
INstall the pad, stay away from Pachmyer as they have a metal brace and you can cut into it an ruin the pad pretty easy..I use Silvers pads. once its screwed on shape the stock and pad together to wherever you like..grind it to fit the wood then shape the pad and wood together, Also gives you a perfect fit being careful at the bottom to get the proper angle..With the Silvers you can try as you go..I think many pads are too wide as thats supposed to tame recoil, but if it does Ive never noticed, Most British rifles seem to lean to your needs as I understand your post.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eny:
Unless you are a very small person, you are about there at 5"

Thanks. Below is a picture for reference. Drop at comb and heel was originally about 0.5 inches. I dropped the heel to 0.75 because the comb felt too high. Was wondering if I can go any lower but it sounds like I shouldn’t.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
In my experience, 5 inches top to bottom and 1 5/8 inch wide at its widest point is plenty for any big bore rifle.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13387 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep trying it, pick a 25 yard 6 inch bull, try the stock as you go, close your eyes, quickly put the gun to your shoulder then open your eye and do that until it aligns to the bull about every time you try..Everyone has a different build, and its best t custom fit to your build and hold IMO..Its sure nice to be able to just point at a 25 yard target pull the trigger and make a hole in its center without the use of sights, and could come in handy in a tight situation, if the gun doesn't fit "YOU" your in deep do-do..

All my DG guns are so fitted to me, and I have no problems with taking a rasp to any factory firearm, shotgun or rifle, that I can't adjust to.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120