Find
Notify
Tools

.600 Conquers Africa Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of KennethI
posted
Posting these for SAFARIKID

Posts: 238 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Thanks Pal! Tanzania Zebra at 139 yds,Warthog at 30 yds(instant bacon!) and Buff at 40 something yds!...All these with .600 Overkill by AHR...900 gr Woodleigh JSP's. Mount Kilimanjaro with some glacier ice still hanging on!

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kid, what velocities were your 900 grain bullets flying at? What was the powder used and grains used? thanks

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great stuff !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kid, very nice expansion on that 900 grain woodleigh soft point. wow!

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Man you shot the Mountain too?

J/K congrats!

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Yes,shot the mountain too!Now,I must get it "Mounted" ! : )

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Safarikid

That does it, next time I go over the 600 OK goes too, now that you have broken the ice, Smiler
Thanks for the info on travel.

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Congrats!! Thanks for the pictures and glad your trip went well.

Would you mind sharing information on the selected load used on your trip.

Also, what scope is mounted on the 600?

Thanks, KP

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please tell about the effect on the annimals.. did they go down at once when you shot them?? was the wound channel big?
//Overkill

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Gee if you had only used a 1:10 twist barrel on the .600Ok you might have killed them deader than that! Way to go!-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys....Scope was a Leupold 2.5 Hvy CH and worked fantastic.Loads were around 2000 FPS with Woodleigh 900SP's.Animals were "Slammed" and wound channels were similar to a Huge Black & Decker Drill! Maybe I should call it "The B&D Drill Masacre" !! : )

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Any pics of the huge gaping wound channels?-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robgunbuilder:
Any pics of the huge gaping wound channels?-Rob

x2

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
SafariKid- Did you use the IMR 7828 168gr load? I'll bet it did look like a 5/8 drill hole! Also what kind of penetration did you get with the woodleighs? -Rob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob

Can 7828 be substituted instead of 7828SC or is case capacity sufficient to make no difference?

Posts: 342 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I use a drop tube and never saw any difference between 7828SC and std.-Rob

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Rob,could you email me at Daqridude@aol.com or call me at 912 484 4700 as I have some ideas/questions on this subject....Yes,holes and channels were severe,but paled by the Beast Path of destruction from those 4 Bore Craters!

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Will do!- Yup a 1 inch drill makes a noticably bigger hole than a 5/8 drill. Way cool!-Rob

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Just added the Picture above of 2000gr soft point...Nasty ENTRANCE Hole from 4 bore double and a very dead Cape Buff!

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Did you use a brake when shooting the game? What is the recoil comparable to?

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did the Buffalo fly through the air 30 feet and land on his back in a smoldering singed carcass?? Big Grin

If not - you need a bigger gun!! Wink

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
Did the Buffalo fly through the air 30 feet and land on his back in a smoldering singed carcass?? Big Grin

If not - you need a bigger gun!! Wink

Macifej, did you just pull the pin on a granade, throw it and run ?

regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No - I was just making light of Tom's insatiable appetite for ever larger and more "robust" rifles. Big Grin

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
Did you use a brake when shooting the game? What is the recoil comparable to?
NO Brake on this one!Its a BIG Shove...Check this out.. http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit2?ns=1&video_id=AH...3D0%26sq%3D%26dm%3D0

One of Us
Picture of srshooter
posted Hide Post
GREAT HUNT....GREAT CARTRIDGE....GREAT RIFLE....GREAT JOB!!!!! thumb

Those AHR rifles are absolutely beautiful. I hope to be able to afford one someday without taking out a second mortgage or starving my family. Then again....we could miss a few meals!

Safari Kid, I know you've been around a bit and would like to ask a couple of questions if you don't mind. (#1) - Have you had any trouble with authorities when trying to take your over .50 caliber handguns and rifles to Africa, Australia, etc...? If so where did you encounter the trouble and how did you resolve it? (#2) - What is the best African country to book a hunt in your opinion?

Thanks for the inspiration and congratulations on a fine rifle and and a fine hunt. clap

Posts: 338 | Location: montana | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srshooter
posted Hide Post
Safari, I just got the answer to my first question on another thread about traveling with over .50 cal ammo. It's crazy that the .500 Nitro and .500 A2 might be ok to ride but the smaller cal .505 Gibbs would be taken from you by some idiot who knows nothing about this stuff. thumbdown

What terrorist uses a .577 Nitro or .600 Overkill? This pisses me off!! Mad

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srshooter:
Safari, I just got the answer to my first question on another thread about traveling with over .50 cal ammo. It's crazy that the .500 Nitro and .500 A2 might be ok to ride but the smaller cal .505 Gibbs would be taken from you by some idiot who knows nothing about this stuff. thumbdown

What terrorist uses a .577 Nitro or .600 Overkill? This pisses me off!! Mad

Please - they are trying to outlaw over .50 in NJ - including muzzleloaders! Many a 7-11 has been held up using a .54 caliber flintlock around these parts!

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srshooter:
GREAT HUNT....GREAT CARTRIDGE....GREAT RIFLE....GREAT JOB!!!!! thumb

Those AHR rifles are absolutely beautiful. I hope to be able to afford one someday without taking out a second mortgage or starving my family. Then again....we could miss a few meals!

Safari Kid, I know you've been around a bit and would like to ask a couple of questions if you don't mind. (#1) - Have you had any trouble with authorities when trying to take your over .50 caliber handguns and rifles to Africa, Australia, etc...? If so where did you encounter the trouble and how did you resolve it? (#2) - What is the best African country to book a hunt in your opinion?

Thanks for the inspiration and congratulations on a fine rifle and and a fine hunt. clap
Thanks for the kind words...Never brought handguns overseas as you usually can't now! Frowner As for countries in Africa...Tanzania by far is the best,BUT,also the most expensive!It's like being at the Zoo with no bars,freak'n animals everywhere! I am always amazed....Botswana has the most elephant I have seen,Zim is the best buy now,but turmoil exist,but doesnt follow the hunters....yet?!If you could skip a few meals,go to Tanz as the adventure is great with alot of Kodak moments! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of srshooter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info! Cool