THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Big Bore Shoot Libby, Montana Scores & Pics of Shoot Posted

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Bore Shoot Libby, Montana Scores & Pics of Shoot Posted Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted
Well its once again time for the Big Bore Safari Challenge shoot up here in Libby, Montana. It will be even bigger and better than last year.

Big Bore Safari Challenge Libby, Montana Sunday July 22, 2012 8am-1pm.

I am proud to announce the second annual "Big Bore Safari Challenge". It will be held at the Lincoln County shooting sports complex in Libby, Montana (we border Idaho and Canada). We have come up with some fun and challenging events with a number of life size moving targets. I have tried to set the various stages so that they will not favor any particular style of rifle or sight system. I will be posting pictures of our targets and the course of fire shortly. So if you are interested in a FUN yet challenging shoot please mark your calendars for Sunday 07-22-12. We will shoot from 8am to 1pm?

The Event: This is a family oriented FUN shoot at life size targets. It is designed to simulate events encountered on an African safari. Targets will be scored and times will be announced, but since there are no valuable prizes, you will be shooting purely for the glory of sport and not much else! Participants will be expected to cheerfully help with reset of targets, powering the moving targets and any other menial labor that may be necessary for the greater good. The event is free but a donation of $20 to cover equipment and targets will also get you a cool commemorative t-shirt and BBQ lunch!

The Guns: This is a big bore, dangerous game rifle shoot. Essentially .375 caliber or larger, single shot, bolt or double rifles. If you have a lever gun that shoots .45 caliber bullets over 400 grains then you are welcome to bring it. Double barrel 10/12/20 gauge guns firing single lead balls or slugs will also be allowed. If you have a serious big game hand cannon you can shoot too. This is all about fun and practice so bring what you have and let’s shoot! You will need about 25rds. NO LIGHT RELOADS!

The Rules: All guns will be placed on the shooting bench/rack with actions open. When it is your turn to shoot, you will be directed to get your rifle by the range master. SAFETY AND MUZZLE CONTROL ARE NON-NEGOTIABLE! The start position is low ready with a round in the chamber and the safety on unless otherwise directed by range staff. A range master “PH” will stay beside you at all times while on the course. There will only be two rounds of ammunition allowed in your rifle when starting the stage, extra rounds must be loaded from the belt, pocket etc. We reserve the right to change the course of fire based on our disposition, your disposition, untimely demise of the targets, comments from the peanut gallery, weather, or whatever other factors may be present. All distances are approximate and subject to change due to apparent degree of difficulty or ease.

Life size moving targets will be powered by volunteer human beings pulling a rope at a brisk walk and maybe a 4wheeler.

The Location: Libby Shooting Sports Complex on Farm to Market Rd. across from Libby International Airport. Time: 8am-1pm

Be there early to sign in since I plan to start the shooting at 8:01 SHARP!

After the shoot is concluded we invite family and friends (responsible children?) to try some of the different stages with their non-safari rifles. This will continue until we run out of ammo, destroy all of the targets, become physically exhausted, or simply get thrown off the range due to darkness!

Space is limited so please call Jay at 406-293-4451 to RSVP or request more information. You may also rsvp at jcs271@yahoo.com.

Looks like we will have a good turnout, several stages will require water jugs as targets. If possible please bring several 1 gallon jugs of water with you. Thanks

Directions; From Libby- Take Hwy 2 west about 3 miles from town. As the highway starts up a steep hill in front of you, watch for Bowker rd at the bottom of the hill on your LEFT side. Take Bowker 100yds to the intersection with State rd 482 (Farm to Market rd). Turn RIGHT on 482 and go 3.5 miles to the range which will be on your left. If you get to the airport you have just passed the range.

From Kalispell- HWY 2; as you go down the steep hill entering Libby, turn RIGHT on Bowker. Take Bowker 100yds to the intersection with State rd 482 (Farm to Market rd). Turn RIGHT on 482 and go 3.5 miles to the range which will be on your left. If you get to the airport you have just passed the range.

Local motels;
http://www.ventureinnlibby.com/
http://www.rodewayinn.com/
http://www.sandmanmotel.us/
http://www.thehuckleberryhouse.com/

Link to last years shoot......
http://forums.accuratereloadin...401032851#7401032851

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Jay, we'll see ya then buddy.

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kootenai River, Huckleberries, Kokanee Beer, Leigh Lake...... AND bigbores?!?!?!

WISH I COULD MAKE THE TRIP THIS YEAR!!!!!!

Posts: 132 | Location: WI. | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Count me in again! last year was a lot of fun!

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I've pencilled it in my calendar. Libby is pretty close to home for me, and last years shoot looked like a hoot. Won't be able to bring any firearms over the border but if I am free it would be fun just to drived down to watch and have a burger.

Cheers
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canuck, no point in coming if you don't shoot. You can shoot my 375 H&H. I will provide ctg's, or you can supply your own.

Posts: 428 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 05 June 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dan! Appreciate the offer, and will keep that in mind. tu2

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Just got a heads up from a rifle manufacturer that they will be bringing a variety of heavy rifles (375 through 505) with ammo for people to try out. Should be a BLAST!

"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JCS271
You say Family Fun Shoot, I assume ladies with.375s or larger are welcome???? Will the course of fire be similar to what you used last year?? I notice in your post that you will send out course of fire in advance. Very helpful. Wife and I plan on attending. Will be in residence in Whitefish at the time of the shoot. Thanks for hosting.

Good Shooting

Tetonka
DRSS

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tetonka:
JCS271
You say Family Fun Shoot, I assume ladies with.375s or larger are welcome????

Absolutely, and tell her to bring her sister!

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
One month away!

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
3 week bump

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wife and I will be there.
Thanks for hosting.

Tetonka
DRSS

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
2 week bump!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You folks get to have all the fun out there :-(

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Biebs, we work at it really hard! Wink

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Just confirmed that Montana Rifle Company will be bringing a variety of their new production safari and alaskan rifles (with ammo)for us to demo. 505 Gibbs,a 416 Rigby and a 458 Lott Safari Supreme also a Summit Alaskan in 375ruger.

This WILL be fun!

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
5 MORE DAYS!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great event! Super targets, well organized, nice people. Thanks Jay.

Posts: 428 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 05 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent event, about 24 shooters, interesting and challenging targets, lots of shooting fun. Wife and I
had a great time, will return next year. Thanks for hosting
Jay and your crew for helping.

Tetonka
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was a Fantastic event, Very well ran, Great people helping out and the Shooters were incredible. Montana Rifle Company was proud to be part of this and very thankful for meeting such good people. WE had a BLAST! And we met a lot of people we hope to see again at these events! We posted some photos and videos of the event on our Montana Rifle Company Facebook page if anyone wants to see them!

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Well the turnout was exceptional, 25 registered shooters. A great display was put on by Montana Rifle Company which not only brought a selection of their rifles but also a BUNCH of ammo for people to give them a free test drive. That was AWESOME! Also a very nice write up in the local paper with about 5 large photos. Here are a few pics...........

And check out those cool t-shirts that all of the shooters received!

SCORES:

Jim E. 121
Phil J. 116
Andy E. 114
Don C. 110
Nick G. 106
Rich H. 105
Carole B. 102
Justin P. 102
Teddy B. 98
Dan O. 97*
Ken M. 97
Skip B. 96
Rod H. 96
Damon R. 93
Dan A. 93
Mike F. 88
Mike M. 85
David W. 84*
Jeff S. 82*
Mindi B. 68
Milan 50
* = Did not shoot all 10 events