THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Woodleigh 375, 300 gr. H.D. bullet

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodleigh 375, 300 gr. H.D. bullet Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just returned from using this bullet on a Brown Bear. Hit him on the center of the shoulder directed to exit just behind the far shoulder. Terminal penetration was perfectly straight as near as I could tell. On the shot the bear, not a really large Brown Bear at 8'2" square, he turned a back flip landing on his face after a complete revolution backwards, recovered and made it 20-25 yds. before expiring. We didn't cut him open but the insides of his chest were just sloshing around. He left a copious blood trail, blowing up on the brush from the exit wound. IMHO the bullet did a fantastic job. Loaded to 2550 fps average, range of shot 25 yds. This was the new Heavy Duty bullet.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Conglads on the bear.! I've got a bear with Jake next year. I'm thinking of a 300 grain Nolser partition. May have to look at the Woodleigh also.

Posts: 598 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Happy to hear and looking forward to pictures! Heading to the range tomorrow afternoon to see how the 350's group for me.

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
The 350g is one heck of a bullet. I'd be interested to hear what the recommended velocity for the HD variation is. I think they'd be hell on wheels at 2500 fps out of our 375 Weatherby.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recommended maximum impact velocity for .375, 300gr.HD Woodleigh is 2600 fps. I loaded mine to 2550 fps average. For my hunt they were perfection. Blood trail a blind man could follow. Blood just sprayed all over the brush.

PS. I am not a high tech guy. I find it too difficult to post pics. If somebody wants to post them for me I will send them via text message. Give me your phone number in a private message.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have nothing but the greatest respect for Geoff and Woodleigh bullets..I had a hand in the 350 gr. PP and RN..Geoff liked the PP and I wanted the RN, so he did both, Geoff was right of course the PP is the better all around bullet, and now he has improved the 300 gr. to compete with the 350 it appears..I'll take his word for it, he is the master bullet maker.....
The PP for dagga boys where an exit hole is what you want, and the RN for herd hunting where you don't want an exit hole. Perhaps the regular 300 will be for herd hunting and the HD, for dagga boys, at least that is my guess.

thinking back, the failures Ive seen with the .375 thought few, were all with bullets going too fast, and only on the really big stuff, none were Woodleighs btw..I have always loaded my .375 to an even 2500 FPS, and would recommend slower than that over faster than that. Doctori recommends 2400 as the magic velocity and I don't doubt him, he has a lot of experience.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few of swampshooter's pics from his bear hunt.....

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He's not a huge bear, but a mature, blond, male bear. He's my bear and I'm happy with him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
big fan of woodleigh bullets, thanks swampshooter for the feedback and of course your adventure.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just love Woodleigh bullets. I have heard complains about them being too soft but every thing I have shot with them just got all kinds of dead. dancing.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just loaded some of the 350gr HDs and was quite amazed over the increased recoil vs. 300 grains. Accuracy was fine.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaegerfrank:
I have just loaded some of the 350gr HDs and was quite amazed over the increased recoil vs. 300 grains. Accuracy was fine.

What velocity were you getting from them?

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2290-2300 with 66grain of Reloader 15.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaegerfrank:

When I went from a 300gr at 2550 to a 350gr at 2350 recoil was noticeably increased at the range. I've used this load hunting now on several occassions and of course the recoil wemt unnoticed in the field.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot a lot of buffalo testing the original 350 in my 375 and the 450 in my 416 Rem..The really kill quickley, and got perfect expansion with long tines of jacket covered with lead that apparently acted like a miniature buzz saw, very impressive on buffalo..The RN was the impressive killer as it expanded more but you couldn't ask for more on herd bulls...The PP was perfect on Dagga boys groups and you got big exit holes and lots of penetration..If I was restricted to one or the other, Id opt for the 350 gr. PP...It just may be as good as a buffalo bullet can get, and seemed to me to upgrade my 375 to perhaps a .416 Rem...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Nice bear Swampshooter. Looks like you got a glimmer of good weather too! How did you accomplish that?

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The entire trip we only lost one day due to rain in a two week period. I thought that rather fortuitous.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
He's not a huge bear, but a mature, blond, male bear. He's my bear and I'm happy with him.

When trophy hunting I look for the oldest animal I can find, they are never the biggest. However they don't become old by being stupid.

Good bear and I like Woodleigh bullets. They work.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Swamp, that is a really fine bear and one to be proud of. Have to love that bullet performance.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote