Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

375HH 350gr bullets Login/Join

<Terry P>
posted
Has anyone chronographed any of the 350gr Woodliegh's in a 375HH?
Where is the best place to buy these and would they be better than a 300gr for buffalo? I looked at one place and they are about $1.50 apiece.
Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a hand in the design and structure of that bullet so I may be prejudice, but I think it will put the 375 in the pound seats and competitive with the 416 Rem, 404 etc. I like the RN, but Geoff McDonald liked the PP, so he made both to keep me happy I think...The PP out penitrates the RN in my tests...

I can get 2600 plus a tad FPS with a stiff load in my 26" barrel, but settled for 2500 FPS and a nice mild load. I will be shooting Buff this year with the 350 gr. RN soft in the 375 and the 450 gr. PP soft in the 416...along with a couple of new FN solids...

Posts: 41939 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray Atkinson,

I shoot a .375 Weatherby that I got a couple of months ago and I am unable to find any loading information on the 350 grain Woodliegh bullets. Got any suggestions for a load? Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You gotta spit North, hold one eye shut while your legs are crossed during a full moon and figure the difference in load grains between 250 gr. and 300 gr. bullets and then apply that same difference to the difference between a 300 and 350 gr. bullet with the same powder based on the loading books..I ended up with a very accurate load with 66 grs. of RL-15, it is super accurate in my rifle and it seems a mite mild, but I will chronograph it, if and when it get warm around here....I expect about 2450 FPS...I can get 2550 with another load, it is maxed out at that and accuracy was just fair..I need to do some work with these bullets to sort things out...

Posts: 41939 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawdog,
Ackley shows the 375 Ackley, essentially the same as the Wby except for a different shaped shoulder...that 88 grs. of 4831 will give you 2650 FPS, that should work fine in your Wby. Be sure and use the PP as opposed to the RN as the PP is tougher construction and at that velocity I would opt for the tougher bullet...

Huntinton has these bullets in stock...

one of us
posted Hide Post
On the advice of Mr. Atkinson I have been using RL-15 and Woodleigh 350gr RN in my CZ 375H&H. So far 64 grains of RL-15 is my max and my most accurate load(under 1.5 inches at 100 yrds). I have been using Remington brass and I never get to the same max load as the people using other brands of brass. Recoil seems less than a 300 grain bullet at 2600fps. I have not chronographed the 350 grain bullet.

Posts: 307 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a reply I got from Woodleigh when I emailed them about load data for the 350 grain bullet :

The load I have used to test the bullets on buffalo is 72 grains ADI 2209 (or H4350) for a MV of 2370 fps. Penetration and expansion were excellent.

Please note these are suggested loads only, user assumes all risk.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Geoff McDonald
WOODLEIGH BULLETS

Posts: 307 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remember gents do not use any 375 on big game with any bullet that travels over 2500fps.
2150-2400fps is all that counts on this sort of game.
Next thing you know you will be using the hated 460 wby, or a 416 at 2600 fps. These rifles do not work at this velocity like the 375 does.
[Wink] [Big Grin]

Karl.

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<George Hoffman>
posted
Ray, and All.
It has been some years ago, I tried 350 grain barnes bullets. I never could get the penetration that I could with the 300 FMJ Hornadys ...Ray, what kind of penetration medium did you use and how much penetration between the 300 and 350 gr bullets, I am curious.
George

one of us
posted Hide Post
George,
I used dry magazines as they tear a bullet up better than anything that I know of..I got the best penitration our of the PP as opposed to the RN but both got plenty...The PP equaled the new Noslers and the Northfork and penitrated about 4 inches more than the Hornady or 285 Speer. the magazine tore the Speer, HOrnadys and Sierra 300 gr. bullet up real badly..I could not tear the Woodleighs up and got nice expansion. The Noslers lost the front end but penitrated about 14 or 15 inches...It is never very scientific with me on penitration test, I'm just comparing one bullet to another. Even though the paper tore the Speer, Sierra and Hornady, I have had good luck with all three bullet on live game. Most of them come to rest on the off side....

I think most of todays bullets work pretty good on Buffalo, the bullet makers seem to have gotten a handle on things in the last 10 years..Even the new 250 and 300 gr. Sierras work very well on big plainsgame and I know some folks that have used them on Buffalo without complaints...

But, I'm from the old school, anytime I use a soft you can bet it will be in front of a solid or I may only be shooting only solids in the first place...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 375 H&H by Saco and I shoot my 270 gr bullets at 2700fps and I put 3 bullets in the same hole at 200 yds. And my 300gr bullets I shoot at 2620fps. Midway sells those Woodleigh bullets but I don't see any 350gr Woodleigh in their catolog but they still might have them I guess if you call them and ask.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jro45,
You can get them from Huntingtons...they are a new bullet as well as the 450 gr. 416 Woodleighs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
and figure the difference in load grains between 250 gr. and 300 gr. bullets and then apply that same difference to the difference between a 300 and 350 gr. bullet with the same powder based on the loading books..

Ray,

You've been at this A LOT [Wink] longer than I and I ain't no physicist but the above "just apply the same difference" theory kinda scares me. Shouldn't the pressure increase be exponential assuming the decreased powder capacity resulting from maintaining constant overall cartridge length with a longer bullet? Are you saying a reduction of 2 grains as one moves from a 250 to 300 grain bullet means that a similar reduction of 2 grains as you move from 300 to 350 works?

Just Curious,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,
When you have nothing more to go on, that's about the only way I know to start...Example: The difference between a 200 gr. 338 and a 250 gr. 338 with a given powder and bullet is say 5 grains, then I would say that same difference would apply between a 250 gr. and a 300 gr., but allow a 10% or a couple of grains to be safe and work up from there...I use slow burning powders and would not apply this to the very fast powders and if I did I would start at the 250 max and work up from there.

It has worked for me over the years and as a matter of fact it is normally right on the money...Keep in mind that most handloading manuals allow for a safty margin anyway...but like everything else do these things with caution.

At one time, in the not too distant past, we didn't have anything but "guess and by gosh" in this re-loading game and we survived it somehow..I know we learned to "feel" a bolt, look at a primer without panicking, measure a case, and put together some pretty good loads in spite of ourselves....Lost a few primers now and then, lost a few cases when we pushed the string, Usually loaded 1 gr. at a time to a sticky bolt then cut back a couple of grains for a max load, just like ackley did to publish his handloads in both books. He explains it in detail and some of his loads are definatly hot, and taught a lot of us to cut back and work up.....As I recal Lyman had a manual, I still have it and boy are those loads max..today the manuals usually are not very close to max as the legal beagals got into the affray....

What came out of all this we learned to fly by the seat of our pants and it worked and still does IMO....

For what it's worth, that's about the size of it from my side of the table, I'm sure some will have tatrums, fall slobbering to the floor and go into gilflurted sequasions, but that's OK, I have yet to blow a gun up, did blow and ejector or two off into space and had to hammer a few actions openned, but who hasn't that has been at this game for awhile, all my friends have, and some of them are rather famous in the gunworld.....

one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
Hey Ray,

How do you think those Woodleigh 450gr 416 softs will work out in the Rem? Have you had a chance to try them out? What sort of velocity do you think might the Rem be capable of?

Thanks

...Catter

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wildcatter,
Yes I got the first 4 boxes of them from Geoff to try out...They are super accurate in my 416 REm.

The PP is a tougher bullet than the RN, although both seem tough enough..

I can get nearly 2550 FPS with a hot load, and settled for the old tried and true 2400 plus a tad in my gun..

I'm gonna shoot a Buffalo with them this year..