Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merry Christmas to Me Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend and I went to Cabela's on the 15th so he could buy some gift certificates. I was snooping around in the gun library and found a mod. 70 416 rem Safari Classic for $899!! The rifle appears to have been fired only a few times and I could find no flaws.

I had promised not to buy any more guns this year, so I put it on layaway and was going to pick it up in January. I told my fiance about the rifle, and we decided to pick it up yesterday instead of waiting until next week! dancing

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
....told my fiance about the rifle, and we decided to pick it up yesterday instead of waiting until next week! dancing

animal jumping

Lee, glad she let you have it early. Congrat's

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
That was quite a nice find -- congratulations! clap

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
....told my fiance about the rifle, and we decided to pick it up yesterday instead of waiting until next week! dancing

animal jumping

Lee, glad she let you have it early. Congrat's

Keith

Keith,

I guess it would have been more accurate if I had written, "...she conceded and I picked it up early." I didn't dare ask until after she had her Christmas present. Timing is everything!! jumping

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

posted Hide Post
Why does she have a veto over your buying something for yourself PRIOR to getting married? bewildered

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
WTG, Lee!
I think you might just have a keeper there! I mean, her! clap

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Good on ya....

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Lee, That is a no brainer...Next trip to Africa you now have a light rifle... Cool

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Why does she have a veto over your buying something for yourself PRIOR to getting married? bewildered

George

The ladies have long memories. Getting married dosn't wipe the slate clean. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to take this rifle to Zim in July, but I will take it on my next trip. I'm going to have some work done on it and add all the bells and whistles I think I would like. I'm looking forward to having a project rifle to play with this year!

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i think you got a good deal..i bought a new m70 controlled feed a couple months ago for about $1800....new, unfired, but sold as a used gun....i'm looking forward to shooting mine!

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew it was a good deal when I saw it, but after I put it on layaway and had a chance to look around and see where they were selling, I realized it was a great deal.

When I bought it the salesman didn't seem to know much about big bores, but when I went to pick it up the manager of the gun library couldn't figure out how the gun got priced at $899. My personal theory is that they meant to price it at $1,899.