THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Montana PH rifle experiences 505 etc

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana PH rifle experiences 505 etc Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello, is there any owners of Montana PH rifles 505s etc who have done any hunting with your rifle and what you thought of it ? overseas or in your own country ,or any other experiences with your rifle
Thankyou

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a PH in 416 Rigby recently. It holds 5 rounds and feeds smooth as snot. Trigger is very good, accuracy has been good, no other experience so far.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is an early production gun that was used as a demo rifle and I bought if after shooting it at the Big Bore match in Libby, Montana. I wanted a 505 and this one came along at the right price. I have enjoyed shooting it and playing with loads. The trigger weight was good but had lots of take-up, a .010" shim solved the problem. I carried it hunting once for the dangerous river bottom whitetail deer but no animal showed up. Most reloads are Barnes, some Hornadys, but a Cast Performance 525gr WFN is what I shoot mostly.

Posts: 428 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 05 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The WFN cast will feed from the right side of the mag but not the left. I will modify the bullets not the feed ramp to make them work. Too much metal would have to come off I think. The rifle came with a detachable sling swivel stud on the forearm in the normal place. It smacked my left index finger twice at the match. Why would they put that on a 505? Now it has a proper barrel band mount. I bent two ejectors when I cycled the action VERY fast with dummy rounds. I think the inertia of the dummies plus bolt was just too much for the standing ejector. Empty cases have not caused a problem. AR "338User" from your part of the world was very helpful with providing load data.

Posts: 428 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 05 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
What is the deal with their stocks, I like thumbholes and even I thought them to be ugly.

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say the stock is artistry in wood - it is a laminated prefab from Boyd's- but the thing feels good and is comfy to shoot. I even quit using my external PAST recoil pad for the 505.