THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Aimpoint on 375 H&H, 2 vs 4 MOA

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aimpoint on 375 H&H, 2 vs 4 MOA Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am thinking of putting an aimpoint H1 on my .375 H&H. I have a 2MOA aimpoint 9000 on a 30/06 and like it. But I was thinking about a 4MOA dot for the .375. Any opinions from others who have used red dot sights on DG rifles ?

It's not the caliber of the rifle that matters - It's the caliber of the man behind it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a two moa my 458 ar and I love it. 2 is plenty big enough to see without obscuring the target.

Posts: 428 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 05 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
consider the fact that a 2 moa dot is 1/2" at 25 yards. Things could happen in a hurry, and at very close range.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
4moa out to 100, sure. Beyond that? Maybe not... Personally, I'd go 2 moa.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
aim small, miss small

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canadaboy:
I am thinking of putting an aimpoint H1 on my .375 H&H. I have a 2MOA aimpoint 9000 on a 30/06 and like it. But I was thinking about a 4MOA dot for the .375. Any opinions from others who have used red dot sights on DG rifles ?

If you already have a 2moa Aimpoint, then you'll already know if you like it or not. That aside, quite a bit of testing has been done with a wide range of shooters, and you may be surprised to find that on average, most are more accurate with a 4moa dot over 2moa dot, especially during low light. What was found during testing was that most shooters can obtain a better sight picture in low light with the 4moa dot, because it is easier to see at dimmer settings. The 2moa dot requires higher settings to obtain a sight picture in low light, which was proved to effect accuracy.

Everyone is different, but there is some sound science into the reason why some, if not most, are more accurate hitting the intended target with a 4moa dot vs a 2moa dot on a rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what its worth, Consider the primary use of the rifle. Plains shooting or strictly close up DG??
I have a Trijicon RMR Dual Illumination Orange Dot
sight on a K-gun double rifle in 450/400 3 in NE.
This is a DG rig and the 7 MOA dot covers approx.
12 inches at 100 yds. This is just right for buffalo for me. Closer range the dot covers less area and you can place your shot well except for a charge. After such an event you must change your pants.
I would opt for the 4 MOA Dot for DG because of
dark shade and shadows. The 2 MOA would be best
if you plan on working at longer distance.
Good Hunting

Tetonka
DRSS

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 2 MOA for driven hunts and it is big enough. Actually I would prefer an even smaller dot. 2 is plenty.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote