Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 RUGER LOAD Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just found this load for the 416 RUGER on RELOADERS NEST while searching for diffrent loads 79.5 gn of R17 MV 2360 20 INCH BARREL 400 GN WOODLEIGH PROJ

Has any body tried R17 in there 416 RUGER

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M98: You have illustrated just how useless reloading data is without accompanying pressure data. Loads developed in a ballistic lab (Hornady and Nosler) show R15 and 2000 MR will reach the same velocity level (2350 fps) in the 416 Ruger. Generally speaking, slower powders achieve equal velocity at lower pressure but how do we know if R17 is actually slower than 2000 MR? Burn rate charts use closed bomb tests and the chart is just an approximation. Has reloadersnest pressure tested any of their loads using strain gauge or copper pressure? Because Hornady and Nosler are a members of SAAMI, we can assume that their loads are below the Maximum Average Pressure as established by SAAMI for the 416 Ruger. We know even less about the reloadersnest loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BM
im very sceptical on the data the bullet and powder companies provide....I think a lot of them are computer generated....ie quick load
I will assure you R17 is slower then MR2000

Daniel

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
I have never tried the 416 Ruger. But have had 2, 416 Taylors and 2, 416 Remington's. .
If you push a Taylor with a 20" barrel hard it will get 2350 with a 400 gr bullet. Somewhere around 72 gr of IMR 4320 . Absolute max. For me it was too hot in my rifles. However the 416 Remington will breeze past 2400 fps with ease unless you have a real sticky barrel. The Ruger case has similar velocity to the Remington.
I've never tried Rl 17 in a 416 yet. But in the 6.5 Creedmoor it is definatly slower than RL15. There's no way I would put 43.5 gr of Rl15 with a 130 gr bullet in my Creed. .

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have built a couple of them and tested them thoroughly and although I don't recall the load right off hand, it was RL-15 and I got an easy 2400 FPS. I doubt that any powder is going to beat RL-15 in the 416s but you never know! I have that load data somewhere, just can't find it right now. If I do I will pass it on. As I recall I got that load data from an article in a gun rag by Layne Simpson?

I do recall RL-15 equaled the same data that I was loading my 416 Remington with and case capacity was just a tad more with the 416 Ruger than my present 416 Rem..

I have been testing RL-17 in the 9.3x62 and a couple of other calibers and so far its an outstanding powder, but no info in the 416s..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I . I doubt that any powder is going to beat RL-15 in the 416s but you never know! I have that load data somewhere, just can't find it right now. capacity was just a tad more with the 416 Ruger than my present 416 Rem..

I brought 5lb s of RL15 on every bodies recommendation here for my 416 Taylor.

I found that IMR4064 gave me better vel then RL15 not that RL15 isn't a good powder but I can't argue with the one hole groups and the vel I am getting out of IMR4064

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
p dog

What bullets are you using and what velocity are you getting? Also, were did you get the load data?

Thank You
Mark

Posts: 367 | Location: Anchor Point, Alaska | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300gr x 300gr barnes original 325gr x 350gr x 350 gr mag tip

IMR4064 is close to the same speed as RL 15 took RL 15 data started with low end of that worked up

300s at 2650 325s at 2500 plus 350s at 2450 I might have been able to push a bit higher but the rifle shoots great groups with all of them at those speeds and I figure it well work for any thing I well shoot with it.

I tried RL 15 was able to get better vel with a few grs less powder with4064

I have some 400gr bullets I might try some day but how do you argue with one hole groups from a DGR.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks p dog!

Oh I forgot to ask what barrel length are you shooting?

Posts: 367 | Location: Anchor Point, Alaska | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
25 inch's the rifle balances at the front of the action weighs 10lbs scoped, sling,loaded points like a dream and hangs very well for off hand shots.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I find it questionable tactic to go up to 40 cal cartridges, and go down in bullet weight...im sure they work, and the recoil is significantly softer, but there is just something about a standard weight proj for the cal/cartridge
Daniel

one of us
posted Hide Post
I find it questionable not to use 416 bullets I brought for penny's on the dollar on sale.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
I find it questionable tactic to go up to 40 cal cartridges, and go down in bullet weight...im sure they work, and the recoil is significantly softer, but there is just something about a standard weight proj for the cal/cartridge
Daniel

The only thing I need/use standard? weight " heavy" bullets for , is to reduce velocity to reduce wasting meat. I use light mono metal bullets to cut a huge hole thru a big animal. They work like a million bucks!! I wish I had a truck load of 325 gr X bullets in. 416 . I killed my first changing brown bear with one. I fully stress tested a 17 Eddystone action with a 19" barrel getting 2625 fps with that bullet. It really was like the Hammer of Thor on brown bear. If they were still available that is the only bullet I would use in any 416 I will ever own. I liked them that much. They were nice and pointy and still expanded.on everything I shot with them including several Sitka Blacktails deer.
The 300 gr TSX at 2900 fps is amazing on big bears too. Even at 2800fps they kill real well. Actually really amazing also.

Its funny how some African hunters talk about how well the 9.3×62 + 375 HandH work with a well placed shot with a good heavy bullet then dismiss a 300 gr 416 mono metal at high velocity for killing the same animal.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish I had a truck load of 325 gr X bullets

Your a few years to late sold a hundred or so to a Alaskan that thought like you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cold: Your'e in good company. Ray Ordorica and Andy Runyan are in agreement with you that 300 grain 416 bullet kills bear more quickly than the 350 or 400 grain bullet. And the CEB Raptor light weight for caliber is garnering quite a following. However, when nyati is "looking at me like I owe him money", as I hope will happen this August in Zim, I will be much more comfortable with 400 grain Swifts and Sledgehammer solids in my 416 Ruger.

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Bob Mn,

Glad to hear that you are using a .416 and are thinking about a buffalo. The Ruger is a great little cartridge.

The 400 grainers will work at slower velocities, 2300-2400fps.

For longer range plains game, I would check out the 350TTSX or 330GSC. Both can be used on buffalo should you wish, and at 2550fps (350TTSX) or 2600fps(330GSC) they can be used on hartebeest and eland at 200-350yards.

PS: with a 14" twist you might also check out the 300 grain CEB ESP raptor. 2700fps would be a reasonable load.

Ideally, the lighter bullets would print vertically and slightly higher than the 400 "buffalo" bullets.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the time I got moved to Glennallen Mr Runyon had passed away. Its funny that the guys here in the Copper Basin that have 416 s didn't understand his message and so they stick with 400 gr bullets and high trajectories. With enough barrel length to get 2600 fps from a 416 Ruger with the 350 gr TTSX it would be an ideal all around big game rifle. Or the 330 gr GS HV.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 330 gr. GS Customs are pretty deadly on Buffalo on broadside shots and usually give an exit hole of good size, so the penetration is still there. However on the normal follow up shot going away from the first shot I would opt of a 400 gr. solid or cup point.

Point being be careful of the extremes in either direction, moderation is usually the best approach to bullet choice, and most everything else.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One great thing about the spitzer shaped mono metal bullets is they feed great. . Staggered column magazines and flat nose bullets often argue with each other a lot! . I know, everyone's knee jerk reaction is, spend a boat load of cash on a master rifle smith and make sure at feeds 110% . Ya right! And wait 2 years for him to do the work. What the heck you gonna hunt with.in the mean time. For a client hunter that may be fine. Here tho there are tons of things to spend money on, like boats and fuel and overland vehicles. Haaglands aren't cheap! Neither is diesel at the fuel dock.
I'm not saying the flat nose solids don't work good. But I've never had a light fast X or TSX not work great. And I didn't have to send my rifle off.
If I was going to hunt cape buffalo with a 416 Ruger I would load the 350 gr TSX or TTSX to 2500-2550 fps and have at it. . . That load and bullet is kind of a do all load. And I would just as soon have a 300 gr TSX at 2800 plus as a 400 gr at 2400.

I really don't have a horse in this race at the moment and I doubt I'll ever se an elephant in the wild.
Still a lot of professional hunters recommend having as few choices as possible on a hunt. If a guy is gonna hunt elephant then sure find a good solid load. But there's a lot that the 416 can do extremely well with a 300-350 gr bullet at a fast velocity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Asking for opinions.
This year I think I can sell my wife on 2 new to me rifles. One of them needs to be a 40,41 caliber. My choices are 416 Ruger Guide Gun or 400 Whelan . Either built on a stainless Ruger M77 Mk2 . Or 17 Enfield. ..

Obviously the 416 is faster and the 400 will be softer recoiling. .
Brass will be easier to scrounge up for the 400 .
But the 416 comes ready to go. And I don't have to stress about what the gunsmith does wrong.
To get the speed I need with the 400 I need a 24" barrel where as the 416 has 22" approx. barrel length.

My goal is to keep as close to or below 1,000$

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
Asking for opinions.
This year I think I can sell my wife on 2 new to me rifles. One of them needs to be a 40,41 caliber. My choices are 416 Ruger Guide Gun or 400 Whelan . Either built on a stainless Ruger M77 Mk2 . Or 17 Enfield. ..

Obviously the 416 is faster and the 400 will be softer recoiling. .
Brass will be easier to scrounge up for the 400 .
But the 416 comes ready to go. And I don't have to stress about what the gunsmith does wrong.
To get the speed I need with the 400 I need a 24" barrel where as the 416 has 22" approx. barrel length.

My goal is to keep as close to or below 1,000$

The 416Ruger would be hard to beat for an easy, inexpensive, reliable 40 calibre rifle.

It is made to order, whether in a 20" Alaskan stainless, 23" African blue barrel, or the Guide gun. You just need to make your choice. Plusses and minusses on every choice, as is normal.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I don't live in town, I don't get to gun shops very often anymore. Seems like in the past, every time I walked into a gunshop or pawn shop in there was always used stainless Rugers in one of the 06 rounds, on the racks that could be got for a good price.
I haven't seen one in quite a while tho. Even the nib ones could be found on good sales at some of the larger retailers. I would prefer to burn 59 gr of powder as opposed to 80 grains. . I do really like how The Ruger Guide Gun/Rifle is set up tho.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a guy in Montana that got a nice big wolf this fall with his 416 Ruger . he used a ,400 gr factory load .

one of us
posted Hide Post
For a DG rifle the .416 Ruger beats the socks off a 400 Whelan, plus factory ammo is available in most parts of the world. The 400 Whelan is a wildcat and it never was very popular as a matter of fact mostly because the shoulder was a topic of discussion among the experts although I never had any problem with the lack of shoulder on the one I played with..

You can always load the 416 REm or Ruger down to 400 Whelen ballistics but not visa versa, seems like that's always an overlooked aspect to the wild cat boys!!

P dog,
I also found IMR-4064 and 4320 to be the best propellents in all the 375, 416, Taylor wildcats.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya , but what about for killin wolves ??

Sorry I'm just goofin with ya.
But really a guy in Montana uses his for wolf hunting.