Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

400 Whelen crimp die? Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are you guys using as a crimp die for the 400 Whelen? Any help is appreciated.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The one that comes with the set from CH4D.

Posts: 17107 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, I wasn’t sure if guys were using a seperate die to crimp such as a 41 mag or 405 Winchester crimp die.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Lyman and maybe Redding will make you a tapered crimp die with a telephone call..They used to anyway...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Neither of those will work since the body is too fat and the neck too short to reach the crimp area of a 41 mag or 405 die. . And you do not need a tapered crimp; just use the regular old crimp die that comes with the CH4D set.

Posts: 17107 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee used to make their Factory Crimp Dies as a custom offering for a reasonable price. I've had a few made and I've been really happy with them. You'll need to send them a dummy round to build it around. Usually takes about a month if memory serves.

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee used to make a tapered crimp die for any big bore rifle on special order, maybe the still do..and I prefer them to the standard crimp die that comes with a die set, Ive had folks show up in Africa that had crimped cases just a tad too much, it didn't show but it caused loading failures..A taper die works great when you don't have a cannalure or the cannalure as usual it placed in the wrong spot.

Nobody said anything about using a 41 oe 405 die, I can see that wouldn't work...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote