THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    What's a left handed Rigby (London) in 458 worth?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's a left handed Rigby (London) in 458 worth? Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I'm looking at this one, I just wish it was chambered in a Rigby cartridge. What's the opinion of this?

Description:RIGBYS LARGE BORE MAGAZINE, RARE LEFT HANDED MODEL, WITH EXPRESS SITES, IN 458 WIN MAG. EXCELLENT BORE, GOLD ACCENTS, LITE FRECKLING ON BARREL, FINISH FADED IN AREAS ON STOCK, 23 IN.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Interesting, Frank. Whose action is it?

Jeff

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
Interesting, Frank. Whose action is it?

Jeff

I was hoping someone on here could tell me more. This is all the information that I have.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard to tell from the photo but it looks like a push feed.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys,

Its a Mauser Magnum 3000 action manufactured for Mauser by Heym in the late 1970s and used by Rigby for a number of their left hand Rifles.

I have a Rigby from the same period in 375 H&H and I can confirm that that it is a push feed.

Hope that helps

regards

Allan

Posts: 4 | Location: Jhb South Africa | Registered: 24 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What ever you pay for it.

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
A pushfeed Mauser made by Heym? How interesting, thanks for the information, Inswempe.

So if I get it for $500, that's what it's worth?

Frank

One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
IMO any .458 WM made by well known maker with so nice wooden stock is worth $500

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank, you can't buy any LH rifle nowadays, much less one that is worth a darn, for less than $500. I am a lefty, and I do that deal all day, every day!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting rifle. I used to own a Mauser 3000 lefty in 375 H&H and it was a pretty slick rig but a little to light for my tastes. It also had a trigger box that looked like it was made of scrap metal.
If the rifle posted is a 3000 the bolt shroud and bolt release is completely different than the one I owned. This indicates the action received some gunsmithing if in fact it is a 3000.
Found these photos online and this rifle is similar to the one I owned:
http://www.gandermountain.com/...=UF103496173&uf=true

Value? Rigby name means a lot but I would only buy it if I planned on using it because there is little collector value in push feed 458's. I am not convinced it is a Mauser 3000 action without seeing more close up photos.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a full featured Rigby rifle for less than $5K. A value of $500 is nuts. I'll take all you can find at five times that each and I'm right handed. There are Rigby collectors out there! I personally think this CRF obsession is over rated but that's a story for another time. I would love to find it's twin in right handed.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I could get that rifle for $500 I would learn how to shoot left handed!

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
So if I get it for $500, that's what it's worth?

I think Frank's quote above is directed at p dog shooter's quote below.

quote:
What ever you pay for it.

Frank if it is not, I, being a fellow lefty, would give you $650.00 for it and pay shipping. Eeker

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It's listed on an auction in Southern California and I put a link to the auction listing on the Left Handed Forum, below:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...7108194/m/7661099991

Frank