Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.505 Rifles? Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who is shooting a .505 and what flavor would it be? No .50s or .499s or ,510s just interested in the .505s. What bullets are you using and the end results you have had Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 in the safe 505 GMA actioned rifles I built myself few years back. Run it with the woodleigh 600 grains at 2150 and the A-square 525s at 2300 not fast but about my limit on recoil it works but as far as bullet selection pickings are slim with the 510 caliber being more availible I suggest to clients unless they really have to have one is go 500 jeff 500 a-square/wells and keep it in the 458 call for bullet selection

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are the 505 GMA rifles, .505 Gibbs?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The GMA action is arguably the best action choice for a .505 Gibbs. The GMA actions have been used for many big bore builds.

I have a CZ in .505 and shoot the Woodleigh SP 525gr. .505s at 2200-2250fps and that is plenty enough for me. I use to want a .500A2 also but now the .500 ACCREL (which is .510) has really caught my eye.

When you asked about .50 vs. .499 vs .510 you were asking about other .50 caliber rifles correct? I would not shoot any other diameter bullets in the .505 other then .505 or risk ruining the rifle or worse hurting yourself badly!

Posts: 522 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When you asked about .50 vs. .499 vs .510 you were asking about other .50 caliber rifles correct? I would not shoot any other diameter bullets in the .505 other then .505 or risk ruining the rifle or worse hurting yourself badly!

Correct. But never hurts to ask. I am only interested in .505s. The performance anyone has had with the Woodeighs in particular and if anyone else is shooting a .505 wild-cat. Real world results for the 525 and 600s and the vel. loaded would be good to hear. I built a .505-.416 10 years ago and have had some "fun" with it. Been awhile since I have had it out but have a renewed interest. Enough so I just loaded some new cases. Typically I use the 450 Dakota as a basic brass to fire form. And shoot the .525 Woodleighs. Shooting the 600s seem to stall my interest somehow.

More on my rifle here.
http://pistolsmith.blogspot.com/

One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted Hide Post
I have a GMA actioned in 505 Gibbs. It was sent as a barreled action to Westley Richards when they were in Missouri and they had it stocked, by whom I don't know.

It is a tremendous rifle in that it is perfectly perportioned, even with a 25" barrel, and superbly accurate. The rifle handles like a smaller caliber rifle, at least as good as my Dakota/African in 416 Rigby.

The 505 Gibbs in a GMA action is a perfect marriage between the two and Mike Rhodden has told me that the 505 Gibbs is-by far-his favorite African cartridge; in his own gun, of course.

The display of PURE POWER is nothing short of AWESOME !

1 JOHN 3:18

Posts: 327 | Location: The Beautiful Sandhills of America | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George Gibbs 505 Gibbs, Pre War, Magnum Mauser.

Use the 525gn Woodleigh RN and having tested the original 600gn Woodleigh's I'd use those if needed.

It does tend to have a big effect on big game like Buffalo and absolutley flattens
smaller game.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are the 505 GMA rifles, .505 Gibbs?

Yes they are both 505 gibbs one 24 inch # 6 bbl weighing in around 13.5 pounds and a short bbled 20 inch # 5 bbl weighing in just a tad over 11 too light for me. But at the time I wanted a swamp gun for Moz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have a CZ in 505 Gibbs. I have shot the Woodleigh 525's over 2550fps, but about 2450 and your brain tries to jump ship from your body.
You can safely get the 600's about 2400fps, same recoil results.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you shot anything with those bullets at that speed? If so how did they hold up? I have hear anything over 2200 on either and there isn't much penetration.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RDB:

GMA, 23.5" bbl, 600gr Woodleigh FMJ, 2185fps=four dead elephant.

IMO, more velocity is superfluous. At 12yds, I brain-shot a ele bull, and the FMJ completely penetrated the skull.

No failures have been experienced with the Woodleigh FMJ's. Of the four ele's, one brain shot, three heart-lung shot. Out of six shots, only three projectiles were recovered within the carcasses, two others lost in the recovery process. And the pass thru of the brain shot ele was obviously lost. The three recovered slugs did not rivit, or "fail" in any form.

Great cartridge...a lot of oooommph, on both ends. LOL.

Ciao

One of Us
posted Hide Post
525's at 2700 is a good time. 142 grains of IMR 4831 and a magnum primer is what it takes.

Blake

Blake

Posts: 132 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 22 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming that's a varmint load ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any big game animals downed with my .505 yet but I can say from personal experience that a 525gr. Woodleigh soft point at 2200fps evaporates a squirrel when shot length wise. I honestly couldn't tell you if the bullet expanded at all but I doubt it. Never found it or any of the body, just the tail!

Posts: 522 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Had CZ been building their .505 when I was cobbling my .450 together, I'd have gone with one, instead. IMO it is the queen of dangerous game calibers. However, since elephants are far too pricy for the likes of me, the .450 suffices and is in no danger of being replaced.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
505 gibbs Montana Ph action Montana barrel Mpi stock cz 550 style. Only thing I have killed with it is a clay pigeon at 200 yards and dangerous water jugs at 25.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
CZ actioned 505. Not done still at Tip Burns shop. Will be a couple more months.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have 2 .505s, one an RB on a GMA, the other a Fred Wells rifle. Sideline topic - also have a 510 Wells and .505 GMA with a .510 bore. Have taken elephant and buffalo. Knocked the ele over with a frontal next-to-brain shot, followed with a side brain shot. The buffalo reaction was almost as if it had been hit with a giant taser. Small sample, but significantly better result that with 45 cals, altho they are more than adequate.

Posts: 71 | Location: southwest | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry - Loads. Used 600 gr. Woodley solids at approx 2250 fps on ele and buffalo.

Posts: 71 | Location: southwest | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
George Gibbs 505 Gibbs, Pre War, Magnum Mauser..

shocker
Please post some pics of your Gibbs!!! Please!! A buddy of mine who posts regularly on NE
told me that about 4-5 years ago in Patiala, Punjab there was a dealer who had two massive-looking bolt-rifles
in the display rack, turned out to be a matched pair of .505 Gibbs, and here's the kicker, the bugger wanted
60k Indian Rupees approx 1275$ for BOTH, yes, both CRYBABY and apparently no one even offered 40k for them, thats about 950S... jumping

One shot..meat! Two shots...maybe...Three shots...heap shit! - Old Indian adage

Posts: 137 | Location: Pune, IN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't got time ATM + I can't post pics but if you search on NE,
I think you might find the pictures on there.

My avitar is 500Nitro on NE

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I have a Granite Mountain Arms in .505 Gibbs built by Mike Rhoden and the gang at GMA. Nice double square bridge action built specically for the large cartridge, custom barrel with integral barrel swivel and three-leaf sights machined onto the barrel and set up in one of their first synthetic stocks. She is a beast!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
I have a Granite Mountain Arms in .505 Gibbs built by Mike Rhoden and the gang at GMA. Nice double square bridge action built specically for the large cartridge, custom barrel with integral barrel swivel and three-leaf sights machined onto the barrel and set up in one of their first synthetic stocks. She is a beast!

Do they still offer synthetic stocks with there actions ? are they of high quality ? I am guessing they are !!

Do you have pics ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 505 Gibbs built on a Granite Mountain Arms action by the late Fred Wells. It weighs 11 lb and is great to shoot as long as you use propper technique.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I normally shoot with a 2.5 X Leupold compact in Smithson QD mounts.
'

I shoot 600gn Woodleighs at 2280fps using 130gn AR2209 (equiv H4350), and 525gn Woodleighs at 2500fps using 142gn AR2209. I haven't shot game with the 600gn bullets yet, but the 525gn RNSN is devastating on pigs. Here is a pic of two bullets recovered on my last hunt.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The left bullet weighs 384gn the right bullet weighs 434gn. They are both Woodleigh 525gn RNSN shot from my 505 Gibbs and recovered from pigs. Both were angling shots which were stopped by the fighting shield on the far side of the pig. I shot 3 Pigs in this particular hunt but the third bullet passed through. They were all 70kg to 80kg (155 to 175 lb) pigs in good condition probably from raiding nearby crops. These bullets were driven at 2500fps and the shots were all between 30 and 50 yards (one standing and 2 running), and the result was devastating (to the pigs) to say the least. Even though driven 300fps faster than recommended they held together pretty well, retaining 73% and 83% (respectively left to right) of their original weight, and both expanded to about 1 1/4 inches. I have never see pig internals so mushed in my life.

Posts: 424 | Location: Australia | Registered: 11 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
338User that is a crackerjack looking rifle. I would love to see some more close-up phots.

Best wishes, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Rockdoc, I have a few other photos, see below:

Posts: 424 | Location: Australia | Registered: 11 August 2007Reply With Quote