Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 Ruger range report Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Took the 375 ruger Alaskan to the range.

Got it sighted in. I suck at sighting in - got it on paper at 110 yards. But groups are irrelevant to more correctly wrong as I was not steady. Took Biebs advice and ordered a lead sled.

Smacked the gong at 110 and 200 yards.

Great handling and light recoil.

Ammo was Hornady 250 grain and scope was leoupold 3-10 40 mm.

I will do a proper sighting with the lead sled next week and Alaska in 3 weeks.

I most likely will be buying another Alaska and Africa 375 ruger - great deal at 699 for a left handed rifle.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great, yes...can't check accuracv without a steady position. A Lead Sled is a great portable rest....just don't use too much weight. For a 375 Ruger, probably just the weight of the sled is enough.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the SS African from CDNN with the laminated stock. I swapped it for a Hogue with aluminum bedding block and put a Nikon Monarch 3 scope on it. It is a great feeling rifle and shoots incredibly well for so little modification on a factory rifle. I did polish the rails and feed ramp a bit.
I just got back from the range this morning and tried RL17 for the first time. I started at 81 grains and was trying to get close to 2900 fps. This load worked in my gun but may not in yours.
85 gr averaged 2856 fps 250 sierra
86 gr averaged 2902 fps 250 sierra
87 gr averaged 2946 fps 250 sierra

I had 1 inch or less groups with all 3 charges however 86 grs was the best. I also felt that 87 grs was getting a little warm even though primers and brass looked fine and no sticky bolt. I just got in 100 Barnes 250 TTSX and will load them at 86 grains RL17 and see how they do.
For the money I have to applaud Ruger for building a great product.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, figures they would discontinue it.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

The Ruger 375 Ruger is a great product, both the 23" African, and the delightful 20" laminate stainless steel. My wife likes hers better than her Tikka 270.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

The Ruger 375 Ruger is a great product, both the 23" African, and the delightful 20" laminate stainless steel. My wife likes hers better than her Tikka 270.

Might make sense to buy another african and alaskan for 699 each.

The new guide gun with its paddle board stock and muzzle brake does not fit my taste.

For $699 it may be the best rifle deal out there. Plus it comes with free scope rings.

If one can handle the recoil (which to me is minimal) this could be the perfect deer/hog rifle.

To put in context for a left handed shooter - a cz 375 H&H is $1800-$1900. A Sako 9.3x62 is $2000. A Sako 375H&H is $2K with a 1-2 year wait.

With a cz it needs to be sent to AHR to get its true potential.

I most likely will be buying another set of Rugers. The alaskan is more impressive than the african.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
For $699 it may be the best rifle deal out there. Plus it comes with free scope rings.

If one can handle the recoil (which to me is minimal) this could be the perfect deer/hog rifle.

I hadn't thought about getting more yet. But that makes sense.

The 375Ruger Ruger Alaskan really is a new standard of utility, versatility, power, and trajectory. Yes, a great deer rifle. Right now I only have a 416Rigby usable in the US. It is there for load development and practice when the oppportunity comes. But it is a little on the heavy side if a take out a deer license. A 375 Ruger would make a lot of sense.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my Ruger 375 African other than the short pull on it. I just put a slip on recoil pad to get the extra 1/2 inch I need, but plan to replace the recoil pad on it at the next opportunity.

Likes RL 15 and any bullet from 260 to 300 grain. On a good day it produces .8 inch 5-shot groups, but normally shoots 1.2 inch groups. I put a Leupold V III 1.75x6 scope on it. (Same scope I use for my 35 Whelen and 338-06).

I'm going to order a 320gr bullet mold for this rifle in the near future, to have a "back up" source of bullets.
Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love my Ruger 375 African other than the short pull on it. I just put a slip on recoil pad to get the extra 1/2 inch I need, but plan to replace the recoil pad on it at the next opportunity.

My wife (5'6") likes the 13.5" LOP. A person can get a pre-fitted Limbsaver pad replacement and then have a 14" LOP without any woodwork.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found that most "prefitted" recoil pads need some "fitting." Smiler

Of course when I bought the African the Hawkeye had recently came on the market and not many prefitted recoil pads were available at that time. The Hawkeye has a slightly smaller butt than the predecessor MK II and I tried to find a prefitted pad and could not. I bought one for a Mk II to try, and it was too large. Maybe need to look again and see whats on the market.

Thanks. Agree a Limbsaver would give me the extra length I need.

Without the slip on, I tend to lean forward too much and got the first scope cut I have ever had. clap

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Without the slip on, I tend to lean forward too much and got the first scope cut I have ever had. clap

I spent some extra money to get the extended front ring on the Ruger. Now it holds a Nikon Inline 3-9 scope. Besides the rugged, clear glass, the 5"-eyerelief at all settings keeps my wife's eyebrow comfortably away from the scope. She thinks the scope is another reason that she likes the 375 more than her 270.

In fact, she has only been using the factory recoil pad, not wanting to mess around with cutting back a 1/2" of stock to fit the Limbsaver I bought her. Maybe we should try warmer loads?

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
Picture of HuntNBgame
posted Hide Post
I just got the Guide Gun in 375 Ruger after waiting almost a year for it. Next will be the scope, Haven't got to shoot it yet but love how it's built. Are any of you loading the Barnes for it.

Posts: 131 | Location: East Coast,USA | Registered: 04 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got in some TTSX 250's but haven't been to the range yet to clock them. They should be about the same speed as the GMX 250's that Hornady has at 2900 fps. With the 4 inch shorter barrel your gun has I would put them around 2800-2825 fps. I suspect the Barnes will be very accurate for you as most people have had excellent results from the new Ruger's. That is why I bought one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took it out to range for sight in before heading to Alaska.

Turns out the Lead Sled needs to be assembled and I was not in the mood to assemble stuff today. I hate assembling stuff.

Shot 30 rounds. I need to give it a bore snake cleaning before packing it for Alaska.

Shot of a sand bag rest - okay but not perfectly stable. Shooting at 110 yards.

This is not a accuracy report as I was not steady. But got most all on paper and for me at least it is MOA of moose.

Lets hope I get to bloody it next week.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
of interest to Mike

and again

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow - I love the 300 grain tsx in 375H&H.

I need to get superior or someone else to load the 250 grain TSX in 375 ruger for me.

I was shooting the hornady 250 grain. This is what I am taking to Alaska.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com...x8482-ammo?a=1733415

Hands down - much impressed with a $699 off the shelf gun.

Will be buying another Alaskan for sure.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, that's certainly "minute of Alaskan Moose". See you up there Wednesday.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger made a few 20 inch Alaskans with the Ionbond finish. I liked it so much I got a 23 inch stainless from CDNN also. For $700 it's a heck of a deal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put my 375 Ruger Alaskan in a Ruger boat paddle stock and it handles way better that with the original Hogue stock. Now the 416 Ruger Alaskan keeps the Hogue stock it came with....it handles the extra recoil a bit better plus it is "sticky" so you can hang on.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
I don't have a 375 Ruger but do have to SA SS M77s, both in the Ruger synthetic stock which I prefer to either the Ruger boat paddle stock or the Ruger Hogue stock.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
How goes the moose hunting?
Has anyone tried the 300 gr CEB bullets in the 375 Ruger w/ 23+" barrel and H4350 or Rl 17 ?what it the max vel you can get and what accuracy. ??

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
How goes the moose hunting?
Has anyone tried the 300 gr CEB bullets in the 375 Ruger w/ 23+" barrel and H4350 or Rl 17 ?what it the max vel you can get and what accuracy. ??

Which CEB bullet are you thinking of?

There is an MTH 300 grain, with a great BC .700+, but it has a 1.14" nose projection making the bullet a single feed affair for most 375Rugers.

The mainstay for all-around hunting in brass would appear to be the 235 grain extended range raptor. It should be great on a moose.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see on their site that the 320 gr has a bullet projection of 1.06 iirc. Wish they made the 300 gr with a bullet projection of 1" . . If I'm going to get back into the 375 then I want it to be a 1 rifle and load for everything up here.
Big charging bear at super close range to Sitka Blacktails at 1200 yards
All with the same rifle and load. . A. 7 bc 300 gr monometal expanding bullet at 2700 fps or even 2800 would do the trick.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
I think that if you want one bullet in the chamber and magazine --
you should try either
235gr CEB extRapt,
250gr TTSX (least expensive), or
265gr GSC.

Then have well-tested .700BC bullets available in your pocket as a single loading round for a LONG shot (over 350-400 yards).

Yes, that special bullet will have a different trajectory but you can work that out from whatever 100-yd point -of-impact results from the scope setting for the lighter bullets. I don't think that it is realistic to use one bullet for bear and moose and the same bullet for a 1000 yard little deer.

There will be plenty of time for chambering the special bullet and rethinking any different trajectory and wind data before letting off that long shot.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I respectfully disagree. I've killed more deer with bullets 275 gr and heavier in calibers from 338-510 than I have anything lighter. A lot more. . At 1200 yards I would expect the 320 gr CEB bullet to slide right thru a deer. The deer will prolly run 30 yards and fall over dead. I'm pretty big on one for all and all for one! beer

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
I see on their site that the 320 gr has a bullet projection of 1.06 iirc. Wish they made the 300 gr with a bullet projection of 1" . . If I'm going to get back into the 375 then I want it to be a 1 rifle and load for everything up here.
All with the same rifle and load. . A. 7 bc 300 gr monometal expanding bullet at 2700 fps or even 2800 would do the trick.
CTF,

I recommend you email CEB to determine if they have something on the horizon that'd fit your need.

As an alternative discuss your bullet need with CEB to have a custom bullet run for yourself.

I personally had two custom bullet runs done for myself - 320gr .423 MTH and 430gr .500 MTH (both with the CEB FBH' shank banding). Each bullet a nose projection specific to the cartridge and a 3.6" magazine length. The only requirement was for a 250 bullet purchase for each caliber.

The 430gr .500 MTH has proven very accurate at 300 yards with expansion initiating at 1600fps.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to do some measuring of different mag boxes. I'm torn between the CZ 550 375 HandH and the Ruger Guide Gun. They both are execellently set up rifles. The h+h I would want to have the chamber reamed to Whby and the Ruger could use more barrel length to get 2700 fps with the 300 gr bullets. But if a bullet is going to be speced it would be good to have it a bullet that will mag feed in any 375 that a guy may stumble on. Like an Interarms Mark X ,A model 700. A model 70 . Or a 375 Ruger. .
For my needs and considering the price of the bullets. I'm hoping for a bc of mid .600 s.
I know that battering around in the mag box is not the best for long range accuracy and I haven't come up with a viable answer for that yet.

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
A good answer for battering around in a magazine is to always shoot a fresh round. Put a fresh, clean round in the chamber and keep the same rounds in the magazine for less-critical follow-up shots. The first shot needs to be perfect. A follow-up shot may be off-hand at a running animal and an inch or two worth of bullet damage won't matter.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Today I looked at the CEB Laser's. They have a plastic tip. The issue of the short neck, short mag box rears it's head with the Seal Tite band. If shot from the 375 Ruger.
It would need to be moved forward. I don't know how that would affect its flight characteristics.
With the plastic tips, wouldn't need to worry about bullet nose changing shape.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger No.1 single shot in .375 H&H is what CEB used to get great 600-yard groups with that 235-grain tipped Raptor bullet.
Long-nose loaded, no C.O.L. issues, better accuracy, for those good enough to use a single shot rifle for hunting.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I took my 375 Ruger African to WY last week and shot two antelope. One at 160 yds., the other at 385. Worked very nicely on both with 260 gr. Nosler Accubond, and Leupold 1.5x5.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:
quote:
CTF,

I recommend you email CEB to determine if they have something on the horizon that'd fit your need.

As an alternative discuss your bullet need with CEB to have a custom bullet run for yourself.

I personally had two custom bullet runs done for myself - 320gr .423 MTH and 430gr .500 MTH (both with the CEB FBH' shank banding). Each bullet a nose projection specific to the cartridge and a 3.6" magazine length. The only requirement was for a 250 bullet purchase for each caliber.

The 430gr .500 MTH has proven very accurate at 300 yards with expansion initiating at 1600fps.

I did email them and they did get back to me. I think they are working in it.
I'm hoping for a 300 gr Laser with a nose projection of around .85" and a G1 bc of .6 or better but even if it's in the mid. 5s I'll be happy. . .5s will eliminate shoot at 1 mile but will still be 1 k yard capable. Which for all practice purposes will get the work done.
With scopes like the SWFA 3-15×42 that have 120 moa adjustment range they can get there even without a canted rail which makes for an easier carrying hunting rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bloody Rivers:
I took my 375 Ruger African to WY last week and shot two antelope. One at 160 yds., the other at 385. Worked very nicely on both with 260 gr. Nosler Accubond, and Leupold 1.5x5.

Welcome to AR. That is a great report!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger performance was excellent in Alaska.

Killed a moose at 200 yards with offhand shot.

Gun before that was dropped 200 ft down a mountain as I was headed to help recover Biebs moose. Gun fell and landed in soft spongy stuff/growth.

Gun was left in rain for 3 days and dragged up and down stone, bush and mountain over 8 days.

Excellent gun for 699.

Will buy another one next week as a spare.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of BCSteve
posted Hide Post
Hey Beretta, any details on the shot? Were you using the 250 GMX like you had mentioned? Pass through?

I've got some 250gr TTSX loaded for my moose hunt next month.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first shot at 200 yards was off hand as the moose was moving left to right down a hill. We were shooting down into the hill.

The bullet was a Hornandy 250 grain.

First shot entered low in chest cavity - took out part of the heart and exited thru the left leg. Guide and Biebs heard the hit.

Then it was a free for all with Biebs and me shooting.

I had a misfire in round 2 - the bullet just did not fire. I ejected the round and loaded another round fired and missed.

I had three in magazine and was empty.

I looked down to my left and round the second round I had ejected. I picked it up and reloaded it.

The moose was now trying to move up the hill with his back facing us. I aimed for the back and shot. The bullet fired and the shot was a Texas heart shot that collapsed it right away.

I got a heart shot and Texas heart shot in the same moose.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:
quote:
CTF,

I did email them and they did get back to me. I think they are working in it.
I'm hoping for a 300 gr Laser with a nose projection of around .85" and a G1 bc of .6 or better but even if it's in the mid. 5s I'll be happy. . .5s will eliminate shoot at 1 mile but will still be 1 k yard capable. Which for all practice purposes will get the work done.
With scopes like the SWFA 3-15×42 that have 120 moa adjustment range they can get there even without a canted rail which makes for an easier carrying hunting rifle.
Good to hear!

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of BCSteve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
The first shot at 200 yards was off hand as the moose was moving left to right down a hill. We were shooting down into the hill.

The bullet was a Hornandy 250 grain.

First shot entered low in chest cavity - took out part of the heart and exited thru the left leg. Guide and Biebs heard the hit.

Then it was a free for all with Biebs and me shooting.

I had a misfire in round 2 - the bullet just did not fire. I ejected the round and loaded another round fired and missed.

I had three in magazine and was empty.

I looked down to my left and round the second round I had ejected. I picked it up and reloaded it.

The moose was now trying to move up the hill with his back facing us. I aimed for the back and shot. The bullet fired and the shot was a Texas heart shot that collapsed it right away.

I got a heart shot and Texas heart shot in the same moose.

Mike

Thanks for the update Mike.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WHAT CAUSED THE MISFIRE . ????????????????????????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to the range today to try out the Barnes TTSX 250's. I didn't have an extended session because it's still to hot to enjoy sitting at the bench with no shade. I only shot six of each load so it's not a comprehensive result.

Rifle is a Ruger African 23" barrel. Hornady brass. Winchester 215 primers. Reloader 17 powder. 375 caliber TTSX 250.

82 grains...average velocity 2790 fps...3 shot groups around 1.5 inches 100 yards.

83 grains...average velocity 2822 fps...3 shot groups around 1.5 inches 100 yards.

84 grains...average velocity 2864 fps...3 shot groups around 1 inch 100 yards.

The 84 grain charge is very interesting because the high-low for the string was 2868 fps and 2858 fps. That is exceptional consistency in my book. When I seated the bullets some kernels where crunching from compression. I may try for 85 grains just haven't decided yet. The Ruger magazine box does not allow you to set the bullet out and the barnes as we all know are long and take up powder space. I don't like compressing powder that much so I may be topped out with this bullet.

I know the rifle is very accurate and my groups are not as good as I expect. A guy was sitting next to me working up loads for a 30-378 Weatherby with a muzzle break. It was distracting to say the least. He is an extremely nice guy just happened to have an extremely rude gun BOOM I would like to know how others are doing with this bullet if you can post your results.