Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vais Brake Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have (had) a Vais brake on my 458 Lott. In a move last year, the brake seems to have been lost. Still have the thread protector, but cannot find the brake. My understanding is that Ron Bartlett is no longer operating Vais but someone else has the rights. Can anyone tell me who that is? I would like to replace the brake on this rifle for bench purposes. Please no remarks about how awful they are for neighbors on the bench as my bench is in the middle of my 230 A farm. Thanks.

NRA benefactor life member
SCI life member
DSC life member

Posts: 242 | Location: Springfield, MO | Registered: 09 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any good gunsmith can make a brake for you and probably around $100 bill...A vias would be easy to copy...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
In terms of effectiveness, there are a lot better options than a vais brake. I have a few Straight Shot Gunsmithing brakes on my rifles and are very effective.

375 SOCOM
[/QUOTE]

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might be effective but you'd need to wear lace panties to own one and display it
dancing

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Might be effective but you'd need to wear lace panties to own one and display it
dancing

SO WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT SAID SUPERMAN! shocker

Posts: 1826 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
dancing

Well it is my 9 year old daughter's gun. I think it's a little obvious that she picked the colors, not me. It could be worse. Lauer custom weaponry has a ar-15 with a pistol mount on the front of it painted with every fluorescent durcoat color they make. My youngest daughter loves that gun.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thecanadian:
quote:
dancing

Well it is my 9 year old daughter's gun. I think it's a little obvious that she picked the colors, not me. It could be worse. Lauer custom weaponry has a ar-15 with a pistol mount on the front of it painted with every fluorescent durcoat color they make. My youngest daughter loves that gun.

Sorry,what ever she like is OK with me.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I'll check around with some gunsmiths.

NRA benefactor life member
SCI life member
DSC life member

Posts: 242 | Location: Springfield, MO | Registered: 09 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Custom:
I have (had) a Vais brake on my 458 Lott. In a move last year, the brake seems to have been lost. Still have the thread protector, but cannot find the brake. My understanding is that Ron Bartlett is no longer operating Vais but someone else has the rights. Can anyone tell me who that is? I would like to replace the brake on this rifle for bench purposes. Please no remarks about how awful they are for neighbors on the bench as my bench is in the middle of my 230 A farm. Thanks.

Better late than never. The device sold by Ron Bartlett was never patented by George Vais.

Johnny Glueck at activetuningsolutions.com produces and installs two brakes patented by George Vais.
The Hunter brake and the Master brake. I have the Hunter Brake on 300RUM and 338RUM and it is outstanding.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never cared for either of the Vias brakes that I had. The Fat Bastard is the most effective that I've used.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The larger the brake the better they work, so its a trade off...The larger brake and rifle return to zero off and on best Im told by a brake expert and It seems to be a fact..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have installed and used 1/2 dozen Vais brakes. I like them a lot. They don't give the most recoil reduction but they don't direct as much noise back to the shooter. On a hunting rifle that may be fired without hearing protection they are my first choice. I do not recommend them for prone usage since they do vent 360 degrees.