New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Sporting Life by Jose Martinez de Hoz
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Boring. Sorry. This is a book written by a guy that travelled the world hunting a variety of animals. The stories are somewhat repetititve if you have read a lot of the "I went there and shot that" type of books. Most hunters that try writing are this type.

There are some funny stories but all similar to many other hunting stories. I am the type that reads a book cover to cover regardless. I struggled to finish this one.

There are better books our there than this. Save your money. I left it in a safari camp in Cameroon.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I know Martinez de Hoz personnally ,ad served inthe same squadron with his son ,great guys and great hunters ,sadly not the best writer..... Confusedbut he hunted all over the world and his advices can be usefull .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Juan,
YOu are correct. He is a solid guy and a great hunter, just not a gifted writer.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Juan:

Joe also was a friend, and he was our host when my granddaughter and I visited Buenos Aires a few years ago.

I wish he would have asked me to help him with his book. Although he was fluent in English, some of the problems with his book came from it being written in his second language.

He intended for it to be strictly a book about hunting, but I also wish he would have given readers some behind-the-scenes insight into his country's unique political history, his tenure as Argentina's Minister of Finance, and some of the world leaders he encountered.

Sadly, the last few years of Joe's life probably were not good ones. He was an extraordinary man.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Dear Bill ,i have been a friend of Joe ,he visited me in San Francisco and Cordoba and stay at home in both cities .He did a lot for the local SCI chapter -sadly now is managed only by big outfitting companies-,and hunted everywere .Hes son a captain in the recon unit ESCUADRON DE C AEROT 4 is a great hunter too .I served in the same recon unit during 93 and 94 .I agree with you he needed your help .
Hes last years he was figthingwith the left wing KIRCHNERS hopefully now we have a conservative goverment .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Juan:

Joe was a man to be admired.

Did the Kirchners ever try to remove his family name from the big center in Buenos Aires?

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote