Find
Notify
Tools

Something from Australia
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted
A very good read and a story worth knowing.
"KOKODA" by Peter Fitzsimons, National Library of Australia 978 0 7336 1962 5
www.hachette.com.au

The first time that the Japanese stumbled on land and did not attain their objectives. A bigger story than Gallipoli.
Man, do Dugout Doug and Field Marshall Blaney get a bashing. Every wannabe rupert and existing ruperts should have to read this and maybe learn how to do the job properly.

And Thanks to Bill/Oregon, a video clip to go with it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WZURx5w0Ps

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Just ordered a copy. Thanks, mon frere!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16384 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Bill, I reckon that you will enjoy it, a nice readable and entertaining style.
I am part way through Kevin Robertson's "It Shouldn't Happen." Bloody good and some good laughs. It is amazing what he got up to, some similarities between his and my early years. Kids, "EISH"

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Boys, this is a real page-turner, especially if you are fuzzy on the war against the Imperial Japanese Army in New Guinea. I sure was.
Fitzsimons is no great historian. What he is is a great storyteller and the golden material in his hands for writing this book comes alive.
And when you are finished with it, you will be immensely proud of the Digger soldiers who defeated the Japs against all odds, and you will have absolutely no use for General Douglas MacArthur (if you had any to begin with), and nothing but scorn for Australia's General Thomas Blamey, a son of a bitch of the very first order.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16384 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your thoughts, Bill. I guess that's senior officers for you ... men who casually countenance the horror

Posts: 4964 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote