New
Find
Notify
Tools

Through unknown African countries
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Found this book original 1897 printing in a bookstore in Philadelphia. Looks pretty amazing as a book anyone know anything about it? Quite a bit of hunting and the author A. Donaldson Smith sounds interesting never heard of him. Book has great illustrations and maps. Pretty happy with the find and looks like a good read.

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I just ran across his name for the first time in Monty Browns book Where Giants Trod. I’d never heard of him before. The book you mention must be on his trip to lake Rudolph?

He was from Philadelphia and was friends with Roosevelt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Lake Rudolph. Lots of hunting and scientific exploration I believe he is a medical Doctor and avid Sportsman.

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Finding old tomes is always a treasure.My favorite is a copy of "Stray Sport"late 1800's.The beauty to me as well as the time line is that it is also stamped w/ the Maltese Cross of the British garrison on Malta.Damned good writing also.In the Victorian Era there was no such thing as P.C. What a shame we have it now.REASON has departed;mores the pity for everyone.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your find !
I love old book stores.

Enjoy the reading.

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too! I found a whole set of 1st edition H.Ryder Haggard books in the Quartermain vein,dated in the 19 teens.I found a COMPLETE set (all 17 volumes) of the original Richard Burton's "Arabian Nights.Only 1000 copies were printed in 1886 if I recall. My copy is # XX.+ yes all the volumes match.Also found a 1943 copy of Mein Kampf in English.I wonder how many of those were printed in 1943.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Old bookstores are a great place to treasure hunt

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True that. The ex wife was always looking for vintage furniture (which is O.K. in it's rite)but I go for the gold;books!Viva le differance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like anything else,one needs to know his subject of interest.I know books,cameras + guns;I know nothing about furniture.ad nauseum.It has always been a matter of good sense to only deal in a market that you are familiar with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stumbled onto a few FM Allen badged Melville and moon safari chairs. Those were pretty cool not sure how old but the New York Nairobi and London badge was good enough for me. Bunny Allen’s company not much I can find out about them

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago an old gent here in town passed + the guy who was handling the estate (an old friend) asked me to come by + see what they were going to get rid of.I can't EVEN go on about all the treasures that were in that house,it would take all night.Everything from pre war2 jap china to 1st year Disneyland passes (complete),to silver + plateware + everything in between.Also a 1937 Chevy Coupe convertible in 100%

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
I stumbled onto a few FM Allen badged Melville and moon safari chairs. Those were pretty cool not sure how old but the New York Nairobi and London badge was good enough for me. Bunny Allen’s company not much I can find out about them

You still have those? I’d love to see pics. Very cool.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I do they are keepers. I’ll get some pics

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When the smoke cleared so to say, the Ladies china plates were valued at over $80.00 a plate, the cups + saucers along the same line. The prewar jap stuff was worth a fortune. James had more cool stuff than anyone else. There were collector's pieces that are beyond my comprehension. As to the Coupe, the corner garage had misconceived ideas that they were gonna buy this classic car. Most likely for a song. It didn't happen. now to the consternation of the garage owners Gary just pulls in periodically + asks politely would rotate the air in his tires. You can appreciate my findings if you have ever had to deal with assholes youerself.