Find
Notify
Tools

Alexander the Great
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted
Let me know if you’ve read any good books on him. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I read a good novel about his Afghanistan campaign several years ago. I can't remember the name of the book offhand but it was written by Steven Pressfield, who wrote "Gates Of Fire", "Killing Rommell",+ "Tides Of War". Perhaps that will help.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
That’s a start. Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really struggled with the early stuff written about ATG - Arrian, Rufus etc.
More contemporary writing such as The Alexander Trilogy by Mary Renault was good but she’s a little fixated about his sexual preferences.
ATG by Philip Freeman is a very easy read.

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this is a late reply but I just finished ‘Alexander the Great’ by Paul Cartledge.
I spend a lot of time driving and I have been listening to a lot of books. It was very
interesting and admittedly I knew little about Alexander. I’d recommend it.

Posts: 2634 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jason! I’ll check it out.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Saw a show recently about the Sogdian Rock siege. And we think the Seals are tough.

Mike

Posts: 21062 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robin Lane Fox's Alexander the Great is a very thorough and readable biography. It may be a bit too detailed if you are just looking for a quick overview of Alexander, as Fox includes a large amount of detail regarding the geography, ethnography, and culture Alexander inhabited.

Posts: 113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sounds interesting, along with pertinent data that goes beyond the historical novel genre; although those can be good as well.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman, from you past posts detailing your reading, I'm very confident you'd find Fox's biography fascinating.

Posts: 113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leon, I'm sure I will. Thanks for the recommendation.