New
Find
Notify
Tools

best book on elephant hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the best MODERN book on elephant hunting? What is the best CLASSIC book on elephant hunting? Thanks, Joe

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I can't think of a more interesting elephant hunting book than Months of the Sun by Ian Nyschens.

The book by the german PH Kyue Danker (?) is supposed to be excellent as well, but haven't picked one up yet.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat "Karamojo Safari" by Bell + "The elephant hunters of the Lado" by Foran + "Hunting the elephant in Africa" by Stigand + of course "African Hunter" by Bror Blixen. Those are classic of course + not current. Wally Johnson fits more in the current realm. That is (Capstick's book entitled, "The last ivory Hunter")

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Contemporary:

Ndlovu - The Art of Hunting the African Elephant by Richard Harland

About the Spirit of the African Wilderness by Kai-Uwe Denker

Mahohboh by Ron Thomson

Modern:

Months in the Sun by Ian Nyschens

Tuskers in the Dust by Fred Everett

Kambaku by Harry Manners

Classic:

The Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter by W.D.M. Bell

The Ivory Trail by T.V. Bulpin

African Hunter by Bror von Blixen-Finecke

Mike

Posts: 21093 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All mentioned are good. I also like Jimmy Sutherland's Adventures of an Elephant Hunter. For an astounding read you cannot beat Tuskers in the Dust and Heat, Thirst and Ivory by Fred Everett. Everett was shooting elephants solo before his contemporaries graduated to long britches.

Posts: 712 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ndlovu - The Art of Hunting the African Elephant by Richard Harland

quote:
Months in the Sun by Ian Nyschens

quote:
The Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter by W.D.M. Bell

My choices. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harry Manners’ Kambaku. I have read all of Bell. I like this better.

Modern: I think Boddington on Elephant was his best work since Where Lions Roar.

Maybe not specifically Elephant, but Buzz Charlton’s new book Tale Tales.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've read all proposed by MJines except the books by Denker and Thompson. Need to get those. I also like Boddington's book on elephant. Heat, Thirst and Ivory wasn't bad either.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
Mahobo's description of the how to shoot the frontal and side on brain shots are "spot on" and a wonderful read, as are all the other books mentioned.

Posts: 263 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by umzingele:
Mahobo's description of the how to shoot the frontal and side on brain shots are "spot on" and a wonderful read, as are all the other books mentioned.

Mahobo was the best of the modern elephant books. I agree about his shot placement teachings.

A Hunter's Wanderings in Africa by Selous was my favorite of the old Elephant books.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both of Kai Uwe Denker's books are highly recommended, but of the two, I suggest you start with "Along the Hunter's Path" as the English translation is better. "About the Spirit of the African Wilderness" seems to have been translated by a native German speaker, as the sentence structure is much more compound and "run-on" than is typical for English literature.

Posts: 113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote