Find
Notify
Tools

Quarantine reading
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
Oh well, we're all in the same basket so reading is a great balm. Right now I am keeping 3 books going stimulatingly, WEB Griffin series, Jack Finney time travel novels, + A. Conan Doyle. (Holmes). I've read them all before but they never tire with age; it helps to look at this as a form of vacation + good books help. Best reading wishes to everyone!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I just finished "Grant" by Ron Chernow. I really enjoyed "Hamilton" by the same author so it prepared me for such a long book. Reading these well written biographies is a great way to learn some pertinent US history.

I read in lots of web posts that "we've never been so divided as today". People who think that should read the two biographies I cite above and they'll realise they don't know what being divided really means.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:

I read in lots of web posts that "we've never been so divided as today". People who think that should read the two biographies I cite above and they'll realise they don't know what being divided really means.

Exactly. I just finished reading Ride the Devil's Herd by John Boessenecker about Wyatt Earp's efforts to rein in the Cowboys in the late 1800's. He makes the point in the book that politics today, as compared to the politics of the nineteenth century, are extraordinarily civil. Good book by the way, particularly if you enjoyed the movie Tombstone . . . although in actuality Johnny Ringo suffered a much more ignominious death.

Mike

Posts: 21090 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
I ordered Marcus Daly’s book quite awhile ago...still not here. Also Tony Seth Smith’s book. I like Boessenecker. Gonna have to get DEVILS HERD

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good read is "The Taking of K-129", how the CIA used Howard Hughes as a cover to snatch a sunken soviet ballistic missile sub off the ocean floor.

True story

Posts: 470 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomahawker:
I ordered Marcus Daly’s book quite awhile ago...still not here. Also Tony Seth Smith’s book. I like Boessenecker. Gonna have to get DEVILS HERD

Tony’s book is awesome. The Seth-Smiths have been in a Kenya a long time. I spent 11 days with Tony’s son Martin last year - a really good time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need to get a copy of Boessenecker's "Ride The Devils Herd". I have his book "Texas Ranger" about Frank Hamer + it was/is a good book.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
D Day Through German Eyes - By Holger Eckhertz.

Interviews with ordinary German servicemen 10 years after the D Day event.

Mine is the kindle version - two volumes. Well worth reading - given that most histories are written by the victors

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack Carr, Duncan Gilchrist(Montana Land of Giant Bighorn Rams vol. II and anything else I can get my hands on. MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right now,

Trophy Hunter in Asia by Gates

A Hunter's Hunter by Hurt

also reading the CDC updates daily on COVID, but that's work, not fun.

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leym 500 just posted a query about what year cordite went out of vogue so I pulled out my Taylors "African Rifles + Cartridges" to look up the original publishing date; it wasn't there but did give me thinking about reading that one again. That is another entertaining + fact-filled book.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordite

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Muzza. A prof. in college once said. you don't have to remember everything, you just need to remember where to look for the answers; + this was well before computers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Along the same lines + to my own defense, I prefer to have an abstract knowledge on various subjects. Case in point; you know when the radio station is giving out tickets for whatever prize for the 1st correct caller? Mine did recently, I didn't want the tickets but I was thunderstruck that NOONE had the answer to the question, 'How old was Jack Benny' I never could get through so the DJ just gave the tickets away. No one had a clue, they ASSUMED he was asking how old Jack was when he died. No, he asked how old he was. Come on, we all know that answer, 39.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Like the answer to life , the universe , and everything = 42

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now there are some other interests, Douglas Adams, R/e Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Belgium, man, Belgium!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the sciences, we always said, ' You can't know everything about everything'.

I've been rereading some old favorites, Ruark, Corbett, Obrian's Aubrey and Maturin series, Cornwell's Sharpe series, Hawthorne and a few Louis Lamour' s for when i need a quick, shallow, good vs bad read.
Got to read to escape. I'm in a hotspot; several friends and acquaintances real sick, even lost two we know and several more that we didn't in our neighborhood.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've reread all my Sharpes series as well as all of Cornwell's books. Thank God I live in a library in my home. I recall the Robin Williams movie "What dreams may come" a few years back + when he was in Heaven, the angel played by Max Van Sydow was floating above library shelves that went on into eternity + I thought, now THAT is my concept of Heaven.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, I was rereading Jack Finney's time travel books. That was fun but brought me back to rereading Barbara Tuchman's "The Guns Of August". If you are a history buff as I then you will like this one, as well as her many others. I personally didn't care for "The Proud Tower" but did like "The March Of Folly". This is good historical reading + not just brain candy although right now I assume one could use both.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reading "Something of Value" yet again at the moment (one of my favorite books), next, will re-read "Use Enough Gun," which was supposed to be the sequel but for the fallout with the publisher, then, re-read "Uhuruh." Next, "Heat Thirst and Ivory" and "Tuskers in the Dust."

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All good reads. I have my copy of "Something Of Value" on my nightstand for a reread that I am saving as well as "Karamojo Safari". for after the others. It gives one something to look forward to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your posts prompted me to look back over the pile I’ve reread in the last six weeks.
Uganda Safaris - Herne, Kenya to the Cape - Boddington, Safari Trail - Murray Smith, Shamba Raiders - Kinloch, Kenya Diary - Meinertzhagen, Bell of Africa , Jungle Lore - Corbett, End of the Game - Beard. Bidding on a copy of The Story Of Fergie Bey so hope to get into that later this week.
I can get wine and whiskey when I buy the groceries so they can keep things locked down for as long as it’s needed as far as I’m concerned !

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have been reading Jack Carr and an obscure Icelandic author Yrsa Sigurdardottir. Guess you have to be into international murder mysteries to read Icelandic authors. I recommend Arnuldar Indridathson also. But, be aware having visited Iceland does help immensely. MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy reading Book NO 10 during Corona Q. Steve Christenson - From Okavango to the Plains of East Africa - Great Book and Fun reading

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
O.K. for those who have not had the pleasure, I recommend the "Flashman Series" by George Macdonald Fraser. This is a historical fiction in the 19th century of a British officer (+ poltroon)who just happens to be where every major event of Victoria's Empire extended, + the rest of the world as well. From the 1st Afghan war in 1847 to the start of the 20th century (when he played billiards w/ Churchill) it is great reading + historically correct. From the Charge of the Light Brigade at BAlaclava to the Sepoy Mutiny to the Little Big Horn to the Zulu interaction of the late 1880s. He was there. Fantasy of course but the historical accuracy gives it great credence. Well worth reading IMO!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
O.K. I have posted this one before but for those that missed it, I highly recommend John Ross's book "Unintended Consequences". It is a long book, thank God; for these times + the subject matter. We are all of the "Gun Culture" here I think I can safely assume + that is the core of this book. I have bought several copies for my friends + EVERYONE has loved it. Amazon should have it, don't look for it in your local stores, even if you can find one open. I can not recommend this book too highly. It is a classic. Please treat your selves.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Almost through "Uhuru" once again.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on "Unintended Consequences".

Posts: 711 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unintended Consequences is a very fine book + I'm looking forward to reading it for the 4th time. I just finished the complete Sherlock Holmes (again), it does not suffer from time. Having my shop on the property is a great boon; I can work w/o public interference or just go home + read.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, it appears that things are being reopened before they should. In which case, more reading is required. For longevity try the WEB Griffin military series, they will keep you occupied for a long time with good writing.

One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted Hide Post
First let me say how much I enjoy this forum, you fellows have made some great recommendations that I then read , otherwise I would probably have never even heard of the book.
Thought I would add my quarantine reading, also had a Triple Bypsaa in January, doing great now but also read a lot during my recovery.

Since surgery I read Hitlers Last Day by Richard Dargie, an easy short read that is like a Reader's Digest version of the Nazi war efforts. Covers all the Hitler inner circle as well as his final days. Next was Stephen Ambrose's D-Day , very informative and tons of details . Third was the WW 11 story of Iwp Jima, Red Blood Black Sand by Charles Tatum who was an 18 year old in the 5th Marine division on Iwo jima. Excellent book, this book was one of three books used by Spielberg to produce the HBO series on the Pacific.

Currently I am about 95% done with David McCullough's John Adams , well researched and a good read.

I noticed the reference above to Tim Jeals' Stanley, I have a new copy setting on my book shelf for at least the last 5 years, so I got it off the shelf this morning to read next.

Also have ordered Quartet from Amazon, story of the development of US Constitution .Also plan to read Sledge's WW11 book With The Old Breed, another Marine account of Pacific theater.

Keep the recommendations coming .

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went online today and I'm missing several of Wilbur Smith's books. I think I'd like to just buy a collection. Too tedious to figure out which of the 35 or so I'm missing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lavaca, I know it's a bore but what we do have now is time + damned glad to get it. Smiler If you can't find any of Wilbur's books + I have dbls of you can have. I have beaucoup of his paperbacks in the Egyptian series as well as all the Courtney + Ballyntime tomes. I have a bit of his early stuff, akin to circa "When the Lion Feeds". I would just have to see if I have extra copies or if not, you are free to borrow them. I trust you as a man of character who would return a borrowed book. Best wishes, Randy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone who hasn't read Unintended Consequences should immediately lay their hands on a copy and read it. It's a remarkable book. After you've finished that, a good follow up is Boston T. Party's Molon Labe.

Posts: 113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get an earlier copy of U.C. if you can. I understand that the FBI agent (shuriaki, SP.)who murdered Randy Weaver's wife filed suit to have his name removed from the book. I met Mr. Weaver BTW at the Austin gun show about 15 years ago. He had a booth selling his book but we were talking outside having a cigarette break. I'll look for Molon Labe. I can only assume that EVERYONE today knows what that means + was the response that Leonides gave to Xerxes at Thermopolyae.