THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Bo-whoop for sale......unbelievable.......
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bo-whoop for sale......unbelievable.......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
James D. Julia's March auction has the long lost Nash Buckingham's "bo-whoop" for sale. I've often thought that some red neck had it, and they did, long story, but it is found. I'd love to buy it, but at 100 to 200 grand estimates, I think I'm priced out. Lot # 1171.....

auction

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool Pictures of the bird dog too

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd move into a cardboard box for a year to own that shotgun...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, then, you can probably buy it, after selling your house, cars, and, of course, all those extraneous guns Wink , but I'd check with the wife first, she might not be as big a fan of Mr. Nash as we are........

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of wildfowl
posted Hide Post
From the sound of the story, since there was an insurance claim that paid on the shotgun, that insurance company might have some claim to it...

Posts: 88 | Location: STL | Registered: 28 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The auction company guarantees title.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lot of discussion on the Fox collector site about this. Quite a few think it is not the original. I would really like to hear the whole story on it, if anyone really knows.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity I went to the Fox collector's site and read the relevant threads. I'm convinced the gun is real, but it doesn't really matter what I think, the buyer is the only one who has to believe it.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Quite the auction list.

Something for every taste.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bo-whoop just sold for $175,000.00 hammer plus buyer's premium, total sales price $201,250.00.

Opened at 50K, from 95K on bidding was in 5k increments until one bidder dropped out and left the winning hammer bid at 175K. Congrats to the new owner.

Two related lots of Nash Buckingham material sold for 1172-$6500 hammer, and 1173-$5500 hammer plus the buyer's premium.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a bad price really compared to some other memorabilia of famous people. I'm pretty sure the price won't be lower next time you see it for sale.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, you just never know, it might go to a museum or it might not see the light of day for many years. OTOH my opinion is, while I'd have loved to own it, that it is the type of gun with a declining following......for instance, I'd love to have one of Lord Ripon's guns, would personally rather have one he actually used than Bo-whoop, but how many people today even know who he was? Bottom line, in 50 years I doubt it's price will have kept up with inflation, but that's just an opinion and we all know what they're worth.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's interesting I bought a packaged set of nash's books at a silent auction about 6 weeks ago. Before that weekend I hadn't heard of him-probably 'cause I'm not American. Once I put two and two together I knew what was happening with that auction. If I had had the bucks I would have bought the gun. You Americans are very particular about your history and Americana seems like a ery good investment to me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, after I made the above reply, I decided, "What the hell, let's type in "Lord Ripon's shotguns' into Goggle and see what happens".

Results were surprising to me:

One of a pair of Purdey's that he used extensively, which had been reworked, was sold in 1999 for about 40,000 pounds, without looking up the exchange rate, that might have been about US$80,000.

The other gun of the pair was just at auction at Gavin Gardiner's in England late last year. AFA I can tell it didn't sell, which probably means it didn't meet the projected selling price of 40,000 pounds or roughly, US$64,000. Pretty cool gun IMO. As I said, I'd personally much rather have one of his than Bo-whoop but that's me, and L. Ripon's been dead a lot longer than Mr. Buckingham, who unfortunately basically died destitute after selling almost everything he had to keep going, including Bo-whoop II. OTOH, I can't afford either one so it is just a mental investment discussion for me.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
The rest of the story........

quote:
Famous Buckingham gun to reside permanently at Ducks Unlimited

MEMPHIS, Tenn. – March 30, 2010 – No longer will "Bo Whoop Two," once owned by legendary outdoor writer Nash Buckingham, rest by itself on display at Ducks Unlimited's national headquarters in Memphis, Tenn. Its original counterpart, "Bo Whoop," Buckingham's prized 12-gauge HE Grade Super Fox shotgun, will be donated to DU by Hal B. Howard Jr. of Palm Beach, Fla., at DU's 73rd national convention in May in Dallas.

Howard, 84, a former vice president and New York office director for the investment firm T. Rowe Price, was the gun's highest bidder at a recent auction held by James D. Julia Inc. Howard's father, Hal B. Howard Sr., was Buckingham's close personal friend and hunting partner for more than 30 years. Howard Sr. was mentioned at least a dozen times in Buckingham's stories, more than any other individual.

Including the buyer's premium, Howard purchased the gun for $201,250. He wasted little time in contacting DU about his decision to donate the gun for permanent display alongside Bo Whoop Two, which currently resides at DU's national headquarters, courtesy of William B. Dunavant Jr.

"It is of high sentiment to me, and I thought of all the alternatives," Howard said. "I didn't want the gun to end up in Kansas City or somewhere else. It's tied so closely to Memphis and articulated by Nash in his books. It works out very well with DU there. Bo Whoop belongs in Memphis."

Long considered a treasure lost forever after Buckingham misplaced it in 1958, Bo Whoop resurfaced more than 50 years later amid stirring controversy over its authenticity. However, after strenuous background checking and tests, Julia's auction house stood behind the gun's credibility.

"We are extremely grateful to Mr. Howard for his generous donation of such a revered gun," said Randy Graves, DU's chief executive officer. "Nash Buckingham was one of the great waterfowlers and conservationists, and having both of his Bo Whoop guns on display at DU headquarters is an honor and a pleasure. We encourage everyone to visit our headquarters to see these treasures on display."

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiousity, did they disclose who found his gun and why it wasn't returned and for all the years it was missing despite an award being posted at the time. There were a lot fewer people around then and someone local had to have found it.

I knew men who hunted with Mr. Buck and have visited many of the duck places he made famous.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No, no disclosure. Apparently the seller's grandfather bought it from some backwoods type with a broken stock in the early 60s, paid $50 for it. That story kind of smells too, since Buckingham was still alive and well known and his name is on the barrels. The date in the above blurb is incorrect, Bo-whoop was lost in 1948.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's interesting. The whole thing's interesting in fact.

The authentication process IMO should include at a minimum three things - one, the original paperwork and letters between Nash and Burt Becker would have to be available, two, those letters would have to show gun details not appearing on other Becker products, and three, those details would have to be things not heretofore appearing in published works or otherwise available to the public. At least that's what I would have inquired about.

The broken stock makes a little sense. The gun did fall off a moving car between Section 16 Club and Clarendon and would at least have been badly scratched up when it hit the road. Another vehicle could have run over it. It may have needed work on it or even re-stocking if that's how it got broken. It's also likely it wasn't used again for waterfowling. The person who found it probably wasn't a club type waterfowler or they would have known it was something special. A waterfowler of any kind couldn't have used it anyway because it would have drawn attention. And it was a gun that wasn't suitable for the average hunter or anything except long range duck and geese (and turkey maybe, though I think 1948 was before modern restocking programs).

The most surprising thing is that its 32" barrels hadn't long ago been chopped for some other use or that it didn't wind up in a pawn shop in Memphis or Little Rock in later years. Probably it was that broken stock that saved it from that fate.

DU is located a few minutes away and I'll call them and inquire about going out there to look at it. Any questions you'd like me to ask them?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any questions, everyone who handled or examined the gun that had the expertise found it to be genuine. I don't think there is any question it is Bo-whoop.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
I have a copy of the original Fox listings of the
XE/HE ordered guns from the factory. This listing shows 11 guns made from the factory that had the higher XE grade of engraving.(Like Bo Whoop") Two 12 GA XE/HE 3 in Fox guns went to Nash Buckingham, while a third was a 20 gauge gun.These were ordered in the 1920s. A full article was published by "Garden and Gun" magazine on "Bo Whoop".

Agreed that the gun led a mysterious long life that eventually brought it back closer to the family.
I own an original straight stocked HE SuperFox 3 in and they are a wonder near ducks, geese or turkey. When combined with Roosevelt's AH Fox FE, it is easy to see that the AH Fox shotgun might be considered " the finest shotgun in the world".

Based on my AH Fox experiences, " the Fox does get the game".

Lt Col Ridge Marriott

Posts: 359 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think I read mention of Bo Whoop in Shooting Sportsman magazine about the time of the auction.

Fascinating story.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When combined with Roosevelt's AH Fox FE, it is easy to see that the AH Fox shotgun might be considered " the finest shotgun in the world".

That's an American hunting joke?

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
quote:
When combined with Roosevelt's AH Fox FE, it is easy to see that the AH Fox shotgun might be considered " the finest shotgun in the world".

That's an American hunting joke?

Probably not intentionally, but your response is funny. Wink