THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    A BIG step forward in ammo velocity by Remington..?!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A BIG step forward in ammo velocity by Remington..?!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hallo,

I understand that this message is posted in the wrong place, but I don't know where else to post it.
Guys,- regarding Remingtons new Supersteel shotshell ammo, and the loading TECNIQUE Remington uses to achieve this remarkable high velocity of the load.
Do you think this "delayed combustion" tecnique,- allowing much higher muzzle velocity, is the the next big step forward in ammo?
I can't help but think that Elmer Keith's "Front Ignition" loading tecnique has arrived in a modern form.
I think we are on the verge of something fantastic with what Remington has brought to light..
Imagine what "Delayed powder combustion" can do for rifles..?!

I look forward to to your replies.

Chr.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The SUPERSTEEL name is used by both REM AND WIN...Steel shot loads.

For using steel shot and most steel shot loads are in wadcups
with a seal on it without a cushion between seal and cup
so as to have the debth of cup for large amount of steel shot
being steel is lighter than lead.

Without a cushion they have to be careful not to get peak pressures
to high. So like our hotrod slug and sabot loads they try to use
slower powder, but it needs more. So what the diagram on WIN
site show they have wadcup with seal up higher, like fit in
bottom corner thus making wad and seal shorter, room for more
slower powder so that steel shot loads running 1500.
Now with our slug/sabots of same weight we get in more
slower powder yet, as slug/sabot column is shorter yet, so we get
about 20-25% more speed .

The delayed ignition is slower powder giving a lot
taller overal average pressure curve further
down the barrel, foe higher speed.....Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over a period of five decades the most effective shot shell loads for long range I ever knew were copper coated lead 4s and 5s in 3" 12 ga 1 3/8 oz. I made some legit 70 and a few 80 yarders with those. But I definitely avoided making a steady habit of that.

But that's obviously ancient history.

Now, steel shot has been mainly useful since its inception for waterfowl. And for shots on those present velocities have been all that's needed at ANY reasonable ranges. I know. I've spent those decades doing it in some of the best duck holes, fields, bayous, swamps, rice water reservoirs, flooded green timber, lakes and rivers in the best flyway of them all, the Mississippi Flyway.

Significantly increasing the velocities won't get you any more dead ducks and geese than what we can now do and have been doing.

It may though tempt some to think they can consistently kill at ranges that since the 1890s (approximately) have been thought to be (1) ridiculous and (2) unsportsmanlike.

To put it bluntly, you can't consistently kill ducks and geese at 90-100 yards even if you had 2,000 or 3,000 fps steel shot loads. There are reasons for that. Neither the hunter nor the gun, the choke, the pattern density nor the sectional density at those ranges are up for it.

In any event, the best long range load ever?

..a good retriever...

One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
I wonder if this is related: I fired some Rem .410 loads (3" #6), and the primers were extruded into the breech, with the firing pin indents pushed back, also. Had to put it over my knee to open the DB. Old Win shells show normal primer indents, and no opening problems. Anybody else find this problem?? Tried googling Rem recalls, and the latest is a biggie, of more Mod 700 trigger recalls, dated Apr 11, 2014, so they probably will take some time answering my email about the .410 loads. Two lot #s, both ending in 515, from my ammo.

Hippie redneck geezer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO the introduction of Hevishot for waterfowl hunting made steel shot obsolete, regardless of the velocity of same....