New
Find
Notify
Tools

3 inch Merkel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a line on a German, Merkel 3 inch gun built in 2003. It has 3 inch chambers, side plates with cocking indicators. Chokes are listed as M/F. The gun is like new and boxed.

The price is 2k

I have always wanted a 3 inch American or Greener gun for turkey and wild pheasant. I might take it waterfowling with Hevishot. I have never done that. These guns have legend status, hard to find, and expensive.

How does this model Merkel, in general, stand with these older guns. I like the price. I like it as a working gun.

I have heard these Merkel’s are tight choked for their listing.

I do not want to over do it: 1 1/4 or 1 5/8 loads.

Posts: 10584 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a Merkel in 16 guage. I believe it was built around 2000. It is a great firearm and all Merkels are well engineered German firearms that if anything are overbuilt to last for several generations. My shotgun is my favorite shotgun and is improved cyl/ improved mod. Patterning shows it to be as listed in shot dispersion. Looks like you found a deal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will get the gun. Thank you. I generally like over engineering. I will take it turkey hunting this fall.

Posts: 10584 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
O/U or SxS?

Posts: 600 | Location: England  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SXS double trigger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think in American speak it is a 50E. It has a cheek piece which I do not have a problem with.

I cannot be sure. All the paper work is in German.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds nice, bring it to UK and we can shoot some ducks and woodcock

Posts: 600 | Location: England  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope I can get to England next year.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
That's a great price and gun. Last time I saw a brand new Merkel SXS in 20 gauge, with no side plates, that I wanted, it was $4200.00, and had a number of handling marks on it. It had sat in a display case in one of Utah's Sportsman's Warehouses, and had been there for quite some time. (A couple of years if I recall as I looked at it every time I stopped by that particular store). I tried to reason them down on a purchasable price and they wouldn't budge, so I walked away. I have since ended up with a couple of Weatherby Athena D'Italias in 20 and 28 gauge.