Find
Notify
Tools

Browning A5 - Like, no like?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted
I'm currently in need of a 12 gauge. My SxS 12g LC Smith is at the gunsmith. A buddy was looking at cheap Turkish O/U's and I was shocked at how cheap they were for a seemingly well made entry level gun.

That got me looking and found some deals on the auction sites for Browning A5's. Never shot one, but they are examples of John Browning's engineering genius and cool hunks of beautifully blued steel. I'm interested.

What are your thoughts on shooting the A5, both clays and birds?

Thanks.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The A5 (original model, not the new Browning offering) is a long recoil action. The whole barrel moves back. It can be a bit disconcerting when you first use it.

The friction rings (go on the magazine tube under the forearm) are what allow you to tune the gun to what load you are using. You will have to learn your gun, and keeping the action clean is vital for reliability.

That said, if its set up right and you stick with that ammo, they are reliable.

They do tend to fit me personally.

Most are older, so using them with steel shot is probably not a real good idea- but if your bird shooting is able to take lead shot or you can afford bismuth, I would encourage you to get one.

They are typically fixed choke for the same reason.

Note that the 16 ga ones that are older are often 2 5/8 chambered, not 2.75"- since you are talking 12 ga, thats not an issue. BTW they did make some versions that will shoot 3" shells- and they can be pretty fussy about what they like to work right.

They are fun, and work well with a modest investment of time and learning. I'd get one. You already are able to pick better loads and what not if you are not abusing a LC Smith.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An Auto 5 won't be anything like your SxS Smith, or even a modern Turkish O/U. Overall length will be somewhat longer, and an auto feels entirely different from a breaking breech gun.

I have an Auto 5 twelve gauge (Lightning model, a bit lighter -- but still fairly heavy -- than the standard model.) It is a great pheasant gun, particularly since most places there is no three-shell magazine limit for pheasants. It was a great waterfowl gun when lead shot was legal. If you're into turkeys with a shotgun (I'm not) then an A5 works as well as anything and better than most. I've shot some doves with it, but it is really too heavy and too large a gauge for small upland birds like dove and quail. On the other hand, an A5 in 20 gauge is a dove and quail reaping machine.

What it is NOT is a clay bird gun. Those are increasingly specialized these days and the A5 just isn't well-adapted to clays of any type. I suppose it will bust plenty of pigeons in a trap shoot, but it isn't really a target gun. And certainly not a skeet gun.

If you are attempting to use a shotgun the way you've been using your LC Smith, then you are probably better off with one of those CZ o/u or sxs from Huglu.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. My LC is a great gun, it's a featherweight, and great fun for ruffed grouse, ptarmigan, woodcock and occasionally shooting skeet. My other workhorse was a Rem. 870 Express and a Ruger Red Label 20. Both of those are gone.

The Beretta A390/A400s gas guns look nice, and have great reviews, but they just don't look very exciting. Looking at some really pretty Light 12 A5s and I'd rather pay $1K for a 50 year old A5 than $1.5K for a brand new Beretta.

Stone creek, why do you say an A5 isn't a skeet gun? Just not sporty enough? Like a vintage Ford truck vs a new Porsche? I'm actually weighing the A5 vs the older Citoris and Mirokus.

The steel shot limitation is a problem, but I could just order a case of bismuth. Unfortunately I don't duck/goose hunt like I did 20 years ago.

Dave

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Great shotguns. No, it does not shoot like a SxS but neither does an O/U. No, it does not shoot like an O/U but neither does a SxS. All three action types have advantages and disadvantages. I like the A5 long recoil action. It is simple, reliable, and cleaner running than a gas operated gun. It also does a good job of absorbing recoil.

You might also look for a Remington Model 11. It is essentially the same as the Browning A5 minus the magazine cutoff.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
An Auto 5 won't be anything like your SxS Smith, or even a modern Turkish O/U. Overall length will be somewhat longer, and an auto feels entirely different from a breaking breech gun.

I have an Auto 5 twelve gauge (Lightning model, a bit lighter -- but still fairly heavy -- than the standard model.) It is a great pheasant gun, particularly since most places there is no three-shell magazine limit for pheasants. It was a great waterfowl gun when lead shot was legal. If you're into turkeys with a shotgun (I'm not) then an A5 works as well as anything and better than most. I've shot some doves with it, but it is really too heavy and too large a gauge for small upland birds like dove and quail. On the other hand, an A5 in 20 gauge is a dove and quail reaping machine.

What it is NOT is a clay bird gun. Those are increasingly specialized these days and the A5 just isn't well-adapted to clays of any type. I suppose it will bust plenty of pigeons in a trap shoot, but it isn't really a target gun. And certainly not a skeet gun.

If you are attempting to use a shotgun the way you've been using your LC Smith, then you are probably better off with one of those CZ o/u or sxs from Huglu.

My first autoloader was a remington 48. Same long recoil system but shaped a bit different. I got it for Christmas in 1968, still shooting it today. Always works without any problem.As above, can be adjusted for other loads. I don't know why the Browning version wouldn't be even better.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have a stable of original A5's in 12, 16 and 20 gauge. My first shotgun was an A5 Light Twelve, and it is still going strong after 55 years. I've hunted pheasants, quail, ducks, geese, doves, rabbits, etc. with the Auto 5s. Yes, I've been cautioned to not shoot steel in it, but Bismuth and others take up the slack there. The newer A5s marketed by Browning will shoot steel. Sometime after the Browning Gold Hunters were introduced, Browning decided to resurrect the A5 albeit somewhat different than the original. The new one does have the humpback, as its identification as the A5. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my A5, Belgium magnum 3 inch . I do shoot steel thru a 28 inch modified barrel , Winchester expert 1350 fps . It has shot many geese , and ducks with no problems whatsoever.

I keep it clean inside and out..

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was copied from the Browning website:

"Can I shoot steel shot in my Browning shotgun?
READ THE ENTIRE ANSWER BELOW BEFORE USING STEEL SHOT IN ANY FIREARM

All current Browning shotguns with the Standard Invector, Invector-Plus and DS choke tube systems are fully steel shot compatible with current factory loads. However, there are limitations to the compatibility of many older Browning shotguns with conventionally choked barrels. In certain models, shooting steel shot may cause a slight "ring bulge" just inches behind the muzzle or irreversible damage or harm to the shooter depending on the firearm. Accordingly, our recommendations concerning the use of steel shot in Browning shotguns is as follows:

1. WILL ACCEPT ALL CURRENT FACTORY STEEL SHOT LOADS:

All Browning shotguns with the Standard Invector, Invector-Plus or DS choke tube systems, However, we do not recommend the use of Invector full or extra full chokes with steel shot. They pattern too tightly, and sometimes result in a "blown" pattern.

2. WILL ACCEPT ALL CURRENT FACTORY STEEL SHOT LOADS EXCEPT THOSE WITH T, F, BB AND BBB SIZE SHOT:

The B-2000 and B-80 shotguns with conventional chokes (Non-Invector)

3. DO NO USE ANY STEEL SHOT LOADS:

The Belgian-made A-5, Superposed, Leige, and other Belgian Over/Under models, Double Automatic, American-made A-5 and all other models not listed in category 1 or 2. Note: Belgian Auto-5 barrels are interchangeable with the new Invector barrels which are made in Japan. With this new Invector barrel installed on the Belgian-made Auto-5 receiver, steel shot loads can be used."

So, it appears that you CAN shoot steel shot in a Belgium Browning IF you use a new interchangeable invector barrel which is made in Japan. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
My father bought a used A5 in 16g shortly after WW2. He shot it until his eyesight made him quit hunting in about 1985. Hundreds of caes of shells were run through it with little maintenance.I inherited it and tried to shoot it but the combo of the whale tail receiver and the long rolling action of the sliding barrel were more than I could manage. It now resides in the gun cabinet as a fond memory of Daddy.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the combo of the whale tail receiver and the long rolling action of the sliding barrel were more than I could manage. +1 here also

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Yah, the steel shot problem is an issue. It costs me money, but I do enjoy missing links and lost causes. I need to shoot my brother in law's Remington (A5), but he's 1000 miles away at the moment.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have the Remington Model 11 Sportsman, semi-auto. The one that I have was built in 1941 on the Browning A5 patent, and looks almost identical to the Browning A5, as produced by Remington. It was my grandfathers and is still a shooter. It is now 77 years old. Big Grin I recall as a young hunter going out to hunt pheasants, ducks, quail, or doves with the men of the family and we all carried Browning A5s, except Grandpa. But, he was a close as he could get to our Brownings with his Remington Model 11. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Dave. I have a 32" full choked 3" magnum A5. I didn't want to shoot steel thru it, so I bought a new 28" Browning bbl with Invector chokes to use for ducks and geese. This was around 1986. Probably around $200 or so. I really liked that gun and used it for years. 3" magnum loads only. No issues ever. I finally retired it when I bought a Beretta A391 Extrema which is a great gun.

Go for it!

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:
Hi Dave. I have a 32" full choked 3" magnum A5. I didn't want to shoot steel thru it, so I bought a new 28" Browning bbl with Invector chokes to use for ducks and geese. This was around 1986. Probably around $200 or so. I really liked that gun and used it for years. 3" magnum loads only. No issues ever. I finally retired it when I bought a Beretta A391 Extrema which is a great gun.

Go for it!

Thanks. I'm looking hard at the Beretta A391 and A400s as well - a friend loves his and shoots the heck out of the ducks and turkeys. Super tools, they just lack the panache compared to a wood and blued steel. I may have to get both!

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1953 Sweet Sixteen. It's the only autoloader I own and really the only autoloading shotgun I like. I shoot it well. Not as well as my O/Us but well enough to make birds tremble when I go afield. Trembling in fear and shaking in laughter look a lot alike so I could be misreading the birds reaction to my being afield.

To answer your question, yes. I like A5s. I'm hoping to find a good deal on a 32 inch 12 gauge 3 inch for waterfowl. I know I can't run steel in the older barrels. I have lots of bismuth and ITX.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Mart,I have a very early Browning A5 in 12 that I would be willing to sell. I don't recall the bbl. length + choke but can check in the safe.Let you know tomorrow.Best,Randy

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned several A5s. They take some getting used to, so I sold all mine.
Nice guns. If that’s your only gun and it’s for hunting, it’s not a bad choice, but in my view there are better guns.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Mart,I have a very early Browning A5 in 12 that I would be willing to sell. I don't recall the bbl. length + choke but can check in the safe.Let you know tomorrow.Best,Randy

Looking forward to hearing back from you. I am interested in a 32 inch barrel, 3 inch chamber, full choke, vent or solid rib.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
As a kid all I wanted was a Browning A5. Back then they were a little over $100. Never did save enough to buy one.

As an adult I've owned several, in 12 and 20 gauge. I still tote my 12 gauge on dove shoots.

The nice thing about A5s is that same-gauge barrels are interchangeable. I have a 12 ga Belgium A5 with a fixed-choke Modified barrel. So I bought a Japanese-made A5 barrel with screw-in chokes in IC and Skeet.

I remember as a youth seeing Remington (I think)ads competing with the A5 that said something like "Camels have humps. Shotguns shouldn't."

I really like the A5 for field use. I'm talking about the original issue, not the "new" A5.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My original Auto 5 was $180.00. I paid half from summer jobs and my dad paid the other half. We drove to the big city (Salt Lake City) walked into Zinick's Sporting Goods store, and I had the pick of over 10 brand new Auto Fives all laid out on the long counter and all in arrayed in their boxes. Blonde wood, dark wood, plain barrel, ribbed barrel, light, magnum, etc. etc. etc. They also threw in 5 boxes of brand new Winchester shotgun shells and a new soft gun case. I didn't sleep for days. Big Grin Christmas came early in August of that year! rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Camels have humps. Shotguns shouldn't."

Well, that "humpback" receiver makes an outstanding extension of the barrel's sight plane, which is one thing that helps make the A-5 a natural pointer. The extra several inches of sight plane, even though you don't consciously see it, helps keep the eye aligned with the barrel. I appreciate the sight picture the old humpback provides.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love 'em. Can't hit jackshit with them. But still love 'em. There's just something about them. But most all of J M Browning's designs are classics.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
I know I was looking for input to reinforce my urge to buy one. They aren't a snappy over under or super tuned modern semi-auto. But WOW, that gorgeous hunk of blued steel is amazing.

I came across a smokin good deal on a Belgian 50's 12 gauge. Standard weight. The stock has some scratches on it, but otherwise the finish is perfect. The blueing is incredible. I took off the barrel and from the looks of the magazine tube, spring, and bolt face, it was hardly shot. What a beautiful piece of machinery.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, an A5 20ga is a great piece!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Isn't there one for sale in Classifieds?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Dave, an A5 20ga is a great piece!

Just shot the one I bought. Loads of fun. Even hit a few "skeets" with the full choke. Definitely a heavy beast, but still love it.

You're right, a 20 would be sweet. Might have to find one "for my wife".

Dave

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Isn't there one for sale in Classifieds?
Peter

There is, but it is one of the new ones - black plastic furniture.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a light 20 I’d sell. Great shotgun.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That they are. I also have two of the Browning Auto 5's in 20 gauge in my stable of Auto 5's-one plain barreled, the other with a ventilated rib. Sweet guns to carry and shoot! tu2

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have used the A5 extensively for many years.

Great shotgun of is day.

If you can find a B2000, it is so much better.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66938 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dave, congratulations on your Belgian Auto 5. Once you get used to them it's hard to put them down. For some reason they just point perfectly for me. I killed my first wild turkey with one in 16 gauge, and my youngest brother has a lovely 20 as his go-to pheasant gun.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
The one I bought has a full choke. I've never been a natural shotgun shooter, but I am shooting skeet with it and hitting birds. I swap off with a more open choked gun and hit more birds, but the Browning is just great to shoot. Love it.

Can't beat the deep bluing. Just a beautiful gun.

Dave

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
My one gripe with the A5’s are that they like to crack forends and stocks. The method of holding the stock onto the action wasn’t thought out very well, as it’s essentially wanting to push the head of the stock off the action, the screw being the only thing holding it on. Things would be much better if it had a draw/bolt!

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Used Model 11’s and A5’s quite a bit. Love them and they are both still quite popular around here. Killed my first deer with a sweet sixteen. I know of several sets and the owners are rightly proud. I am completely biased towards classics with wood furniture and blued steel and look down on even expensive new junk. Keep your powder dry and run em to me.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Mart,P.M. sent.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote