New
Find
Notify
Tools

10 Gauge Semi-Auto's
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What are the pluses and minuses of each as you know it? A local ad offered a Remington(24"& $699.00)and another offers the Browning Gold(26"& $799.00).

Just want to know what breaks, what parts to keep a supply of, which is most reliable?

Thanks, Minkman

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both have plenty of non function issues related to cold weather and powder residue when shooting at overhead birds. Clean every day during goose season and problems should be held to a minimum. Typical parts issues are shell latches, slide locks, and action springs for both.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Iv'e had the remington for about 15 years. No problems whatsoever. It goes boom when I pull the trigger. It cycles a bit slower than a Benelli or 1100 but you really have to pay attention to notice it. It is heavy, but swings good.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Ithaca, which I believe was used as the basis for the Remington. The very early ones had some problems but the later ones were supposed to be good. I had mine (early one) worked over by Ithaca right before they stopped production and it functions well. In fact it is the only auto shotgun that I have ever really liked. I have used it quite a few times at very low temps with no problems. My standard duck load was 2-1/4 oz of #5's and it would kill ducks very far away.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 of Remington's SP-10. I like them but they are HEAVY! Biggest problem is parts. There is nothing available from Remington. Supposedly Remington sold all parts to one company when they discontinued the SP-10. I have tried in vain to discover said company. If you like the SP-10, buy a few for spare parts. There are plenty every year for sale on gunbroker-many new in the box. NIB plan on spending $1400. I did pattern testing at 50yds and with a skeet choke consistently get 35 hits of F-shot in a 30" circle. Is this gun capable of some impressive long range waterfowling.......hell yes! Biggest drawback is weight. Many of my friends with 3.5" mag 12s say it kicks less than their 12s.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A NIB Remington SP-10 for $699, I'd jump on and buy a few if they were available. HOLY SHIT THATS CHEAP!

The 24" barrel is much easier to handle than the 30". $699.....buy the whole lot!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to know what shop. I am in the market.

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had an SP10 for a few years. It worked fine, very few jams or malfunctions.
Several friends had the Ithica, lots of jams and issues with them.
Both are quite heavy guns.
I moved to a Benelli SBE and occasionally shoot 3.5" shells, but mostly 3".

The 10 is better, but with modern shells, tungsten and super fast steel, the 3 or 3.5" 12 ga is not far behind.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Browning Gold that I have shot cases of shells thru in the past 12 years. it does not like Remington steel in cold weather (less than 30 deg) I just use Federal steel now and have never had any problems. Great gun and I also love the Pattern master choke.

Posts: 262 | Location: New York | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got all three (by inheritance)

The Remington and the Ithaca are pretty much the same gun. I think the Ithacas were a little better finished, but they also had some issues with function at first. The remingtons were made after that got straightened out.

The Browning Gold is a nice solid gun.

The older Ithacas tend to have softer barrels (mine does) and tend to score a bit when using large steel (or tungsten) shot.

The Gold seems to be more tolerant of dirt than the Ithaca or Remington.

If I was going to buy one, unless there is a really good deal, I would buy the Browning, if for no other reson, its current and Browning's customer service seems a little more responsive than Big Green's.

Of mine, the Ithaca is probably the best shooting, but my dad dumped a lot of money in it, and it has a beautiful piece of walnut on it.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a Browning BPS 10 ga for quite a few years. Good gun, a little heavy and your shoulder knows when you have shot a box of shells. Had a chance to pick up an older Browning Gold last fall. (One of the heavier ones with steel receiver. Original owner claimed no problems. I stole the shotgun $ wise.It was a little dirty so I stripped it down cleaned it all up and reassembled. It shoots everything I've fed it without a problem. Rem, Fed Black Cloud , Win and some handloads with lead for turkeys. I can't believe how mild the recoil is on this shotgun. A friend has one of the early Ithacas and he has had lots of grief. He couldn't believe how well my Browning worked last fall. I would recommend the Browning if someone is looking for a big 10.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote