Find
Notify
Tools

Spartan 12 ga. buck shot
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted
Has anybody had any kind of luck with this ammo!!
** I tried 2 of their 12 ga. buck in a Stoger Coach Gun and after firing, I could NOT open the gun!! I had to 'brake' it over my knee to get it open. Went back to some bird shot and everything worked fine! I try another 2 buck shot and the same thing, the gun won't open without a lot of muscle ! Back to some other ammo and everything is fine. O.K., this time I'll try only one buck shot, again the gun won't open with out a real struggle!!
I gave up on this crap, and won't buy anything from Spartan Guns and Ammo! I can only imagine what their other products are like, and I never will!
So far no response to the e-mail I sent!**

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good info to know I thought about buying a case now I won't.

Thanks for posting.

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't blame the gun...blame the ammo.

The coach gun is basically meant for cowboy action shooting and obviously the Spartan ammo is causing the lockup, probably by bulging the cartridge base out against the receiver face, or out against the chamber walls or BOTH.

Checkout "Texas Gun Talk"...

http://www.texasguntalk.com/fo...hotgun-shells-3.html.

Try another brand of ammo or reload to a lower pressure with a different brand of case.

That particular shotgun has been used by many shooters without too many complaints for a long time with light loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The other issue will be patterning. Most of the foreign buckshot is not buffered, at all. Most of the American buck is. My wife and I just finished a tactical shotgun class with two identical shotguns. I went cheap with my ammo and used RIO. At 15 yards, it put 9 pellets in a 18" pattern from the cylinder bore choke. Her gun put all 9 pellets of Federal TAC rounds in a 1" pattern at 15 yards. I tried it in mine and it did the same thing. At 20 yards, the RIO would not have held all pellets within the attacker's body and I would have to worry about the other pellets and where they would have gone in a fight. Granted shotgun fights usually last one round.

Shotgun basics...know what happens with the ammo you are shooting in YOUR gun.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote