New
Find
Notify
Tools

24 gauge reloading
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone offer 24 gauge wads? For that matter, does anyone offer a reloading machine in 24 gauge?

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ballistic Products Inc. has 24 gauge hulls and wads. AS for machines, you might ask the if they know of anyone (MEC?) that makes a 24 gauge conversion for popular loading machines.

Google is your friend...

AT

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found a post on another forum where the author described using a combination of modified 20 and 28 gauge parts on a MEC 600 to reload his 24 gauge hulls. I gather that they have to be roll crimped, which is a big turn-off for me. If I acquire the 24 gauge shotgun I'm looking at I think I'll just bite the bullet and buy the Fiocchi ammunition for it. I can buy a lot of ammunition for what it might cost to set up to load the little buggers.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an American Arms 24 gauge and currently roll crimping is my method of loading. A MEC 20 or 28 gauge loader can be converted and I talked to Ponsness Warren and they will make a set of loading dies for their excellent 375 loader.

I'm curious about the aversion to roll crimping. It's pretty simple and the crimp is positive. Hull life is less with roll crimping I'll grant. I use a tapered hull conditioner in a drill press to smooth up the case mouth and get 4-5 loads out of my hulls.

I think once we get moved down to Idaho and I get my loading room set up again, I'll get a set of dies for one of my Ponsness 375's.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alec Torres:
Ballistic Products Inc. has 24 gauge hulls and wads. AS for machines, you might ask the if they know of anyone (MEC?) that makes a 24 gauge conversion for popular loading machines.

Google is your friend...

AT

Hi Stonecreek

I have a 24 gauge Darne and I use Fiocchi cartridges.
They give everything one can expect, both for hunting and for fun.

Best regards.

Manuel.