Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up a deal! English SxS
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted
I dropped by a local pawn shop that periodically has some interesting and somewhat higher grade of firearms than the run of the mill. They had some shotguns on sale and one of them happened to be an English boxlock. It is a Midland 12 ga. extractor gun that was built as a 2-3/4 inch gun which is fairly rare as most were 2-1/2". It has thirty inch barrels choked imp and full and the blueing and bores are in excellent condition. The border engraved reciever has grayed and is otherwise in very nice condition. Now, the bad. Some moron used his craftsman screwdrivers on every screw and buggered the slots. When taking the buttstock off to put a black(UGH!) Decellerator pad on, they put a pair of wedge dents in the stock head where it meets the action back from prying. The Piese 'de resistance was the truly inspired use of a sharp punch to dot in their initials in the silver stock oval, what craftsmanship! The buttstock was liberally dented up, unlike the rest of the gun, it must have lived in a tough neigborhood. The european walnut is the plainest I have seen in a long while, no color and no figure, but solid and hard as woodpecker lips. I stripped the butt down and spent two hours steaming dents and managed to raise out 80% of them and sanding cleaned up the remaining to a presentable level. I will replace the pad with a red Silvers pad and refinish with a nice oil finish. Brownells has a relacement silver oval that is the same size for $23. A good friend will redress and re-engrave the buggered screws. The good news is that I am in it for $600. Sometimes you get lucky.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You did get lucky. That is a great find for
the money. I paid more than that 25 years ago
for mine. I was my field gun when ever the
weather was crap and I didn't want to damage
my higher grade guns. I like what you did to
put it back right. Nice work.
Raff

Posts: 457 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midland Gun was a middle to lower end ranked maker, but well respected, in Great Britain.

I had a three inch side by side ejctor by them many years ago. They are well made from good quality steel and good quality...even if plain...walnut.

If you are lucky it is possible to tap those dots out of the oval perhaps but take great care when removing it as they are usually glued in and need some heating.

These ovals can still be bought but come in a few different (buts reasonably standard) sizes as you have found from Brownell.

Improved and Full was quite popular in this grade of gun. Many BSA basic guns of the period are True Cylinder and Full.

The open choke for close up stuff such as a duck coming in to decoy pond or and the full as a sort of "pencil" for taking shots for the pot at sitting rabbits.

Also for walking up shooting. A quick open bore as the pheasant rises at your feet and the pencil tight bore for if you have missed and it is are now twenty-five yards away.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe these older British doubles are great guns for the money. Mine was made by George Bate of Birmingham. It was a 2 1/2" chamber that I had punched out to 2 3/4". But still cost less than 1K all told.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George Bate still exist. The shop in Birmingham closed maybe twenty years ago. But there was a George Bate in Stafford until very recently.

http://www.staffordshirenewsle...26-detail/story.html

Most of their later guns, post-WWII were, as for many such retailers, actually made by Webley and then name engraved with the retailer's name.

FWIW the man that actually owned the Birmingham Bate shop when it closed was a Mr Conrad Cross! Just as there no Mr Boss at Boss throughout all the 20th Century.

The Steelhouse Lane shop was long closed when I knew Bate. It was the Colmore Circus shop that I knew. Last thing I ever purchased at Stafford were some .308 Norma Magnum cases. Last thing I purchased at the Birmingham shop was a Webley revolver.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
George Bate still exist. The shop in Birmingham closed maybe twenty years ago. But there was a George Bate in Stafford until very recently.

http://www.staffordshirenewsle...26-detail/story.html

Most of their later guns, post-WWII were, as for many such retailers, actually made by Webley and then name engraved with the retailer's name.

FWIW the man that actually owned the Birmingham Bate shop when it closed was a Mr Conrad Cross! Just as there no Mr Boss at Boss throughout all the 20th Century.

The Steelhouse Lane shop was long closed when I knew Bate. It was the Colmore Circus shop that I knew. Last thing I ever purchased at Stafford were some .308 Norma Magnum cases. Last thing I purchased at the Birmingham shop was a Webley revolver.

The address on the Bate is 132 Steelhouse Lane. Does that narrow the date of manufacture?

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
There will be no salvaging the oval as it is concave instead of convex, ducks could land in it! Brownells had the exact size needed. I started out with a BSA 12 ga. that got me hooked on English doubles which has led to a nice selection of both provincial and well known makers. I do enjoy dove hunting with a light English gun. This Midland has seen very little use and should clean up nicely. I may have the action recased, as even though it is not a fancy gun, its worth it to me, to bring its cosmetics, back to new.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The address on the Bate is 132 Steelhouse Lane. Does that narrow the date of manufacture?

Yes. Very much so. Like Boss the Bate company were here and there during their existence. This I poached from another Forum.

quote:
Richard Henry Bate reportedly established his business in 1850 at 97 Steelhouse Lane, but he was not recorded in the street directories until 1853. A rotary under-lever hammergun has been seen engraved R H Bate Snr, so it may be that this R H Bate was the son who had his own business, or that R H Bate had a son named after himself as well as a son named George.

In 1855 Richard moved to 132 Steelhouse Lane and took additional premises at 88 Weaman Street.

In 1861 the Weaman Street premises were given up in favour of 4 Aston Road which suggests the firm bought or established a barrel making business there.

An 1862 advertisement stated: "R H Bate, 132 Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham. Military Rifle, Gun and Pistol Manufacturer. Double Action Revolving Pistols of every description. Gun Barrel and Rifle Barrel Maker. N.B. Old guns re-stocked and altered into Percussion on most approved principle. Barrels re-bored."

In 1868 the firm was recorded only at 132 Steelhouse Lane.

R H Bate appears to retired or died between 1878 and 1881 and his son, George Bate took over the firm re-naming it after himself by 1890.

In 1898 George probably gave up the Aston Road premises because he acquired other premises at 2 Easy Row; it is likely the Easy Row premises were vacated soon after 1900.

In about 1918, the firm employed William Cross as gunsmith and shop manager, he had previously worked for William Powell.

When the firm acquired limited liability and became G Bate Ltd is not known, probably in the late 1920s.

In 1940 the firm's premises at 132 Steelhouse Lane were bombed and the firm relocated to an unknown address, possibly in Price Street (New Buildings, 63 Price Street not confirmed).

In the early 1950s the Bate family sold the business to William Cross's son, George, and his son, Conrad.

In about 1963 the firm moved to 7 Corporation Street but they retained workshops in New Buildings, 63 Price Street.

In about 1970 they moved to 16 Colmore Circus, Queensway.

In 1976 the firm opened a branch at 7 Market Square, Stafford and a shooting school on the Shugborough estate near Stafford. It may have been at this time that Conrad's son, Nicholas, joined the firm.

In about 1990 the firm in Birmingham changed its name to Bate & Cross (Gunmakers) Ltd, and moved to 8-10 Colmore Circus, Birmingham, they are still trading and still retain the workshops in Price Street.

The shooting school no longer operates and the shop in Stafford trades under the name of George Bate Gunmakers (Stafford) Ltd.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
quote:

Yes. Very much so. Like Boss the Bate company were here and there during their existence. This I poached from another Forum.

quote:
Richard Henry Bate reportedly established his business in 1850 at 97 Steelhouse Lane, but he was not recorded in the street directories until 1853. A rotary under-lever hammergun has been seen engraved R H Bate Snr, so it may be that this R H Bate was the son who had his own business, or that R H Bate had a son named after himself as well as a son named George.

In 1855 Richard moved to 132 Steelhouse Lane and took additional premises at 88 Weaman Street.

In 1861 the Weaman Street premises were given up in favour of 4 Aston Road which suggests the firm bought or established a barrel making business there.

An 1862 advertisement stated: "R H Bate, 132 Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham. Military Rifle, Gun and Pistol Manufacturer. Double Action Revolving Pistols of every description. Gun Barrel and Rifle Barrel Maker. N.B. Old guns re-stocked and altered into Percussion on most approved principle. Barrels re-bored."

In 1868 the firm was recorded only at 132 Steelhouse Lane.

R H Bate appears to retired or died between 1878 and 1881 and his son, George Bate took over the firm re-naming it after himself by 1890.

In 1898 George probably gave up the Aston Road premises because he acquired other premises at 2 Easy Row; it is likely the Easy Row premises were vacated soon after 1900.

In about 1918, the firm employed William Cross as gunsmith and shop manager, he had previously worked for William Powell.

When the firm acquired limited liability and became G Bate Ltd is not known, probably in the late 1920s.

In 1940 the firm's premises at 132 Steelhouse Lane were bombed and the firm relocated to an unknown address, possibly in Price Street (New Buildings, 63 Price Street not confirmed).

In the early 1950s the Bate family sold the business to William Cross's son, George, and his son, Conrad.

In about 1963 the firm moved to 7 Corporation Street but they retained workshops in New Buildings, 63 Price Street.

In about 1970 they moved to 16 Colmore Circus, Queensway.

In 1976 the firm opened a branch at 7 Market Square, Stafford and a shooting school on the Shugborough estate near Stafford. It may have been at this time that Conrad's son, Nicholas, joined the firm.

In about 1990 the firm in Birmingham changed its name to Bate & Cross (Gunmakers) Ltd, and moved to 8-10 Colmore Circus, Birmingham, they are still trading and still retain the workshops in Price Street.

The shooting school no longer operates and the shop in Stafford trades under the name of George Bate Gunmakers (Stafford) Ltd.

Thank you Sir, your research is much appreciated. Well Done!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is stamped on the barrel flats will date it. See the Hollowell & Co site.

http://www.hallowellco.com/bir..._house_date_code.htm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Charles Osbourne 12 bore boxlock with 30" barrels, chokes IC and Full as well. I guess they figured if you missed the bird when flushed, you could take your time with the 2nd shot :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IC and FULL (although I've never liked the combination)makes a lot of sense on a double trigger gun.

For for driven, oncoming, game you can use the choked barrel first to take the far away bird and the open choked barrel second to take the bird that is now closer.

Also for snipe. Open as it rises, then let the zig and the zag settle down and take the bird far away.

Or the choke for blowing out the squirrel's drey and the open for the survivor that runs out.

Personally all my 12 Bore game guns I've had bored IMP and IMP.

Osbourne is a good middle of the road Birmingham maker. It'll be good quality even if plain.