New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steel case .45 acp
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have two boxes military, (50 rounds each) of steel case .45 head stamp dates are 42 and 43 mixed. box reads that they repacked in 1944. Is there any call for these? I don,t plan on shooting them in anything I own.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1504 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rolland

The steel cased WWII 45ACP is some of the most common surplus to be found. Most guys shoot it and toss the cases although they can be reloaded if you are really hard up for brass. Sell it to someone who isn't afraid to shoot it.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EC and/or ECs headstamp (Evensville Chrysler and Evensville Chrysler Sunbeam div)?
They made Millions of them (enough that the military KNEW they couldn't use them all a year before the war ended).
Other than being corrosive, they shoot fine (and won't hurt your firearm).

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:
EC and/or ECs headstamp (Evensville Chrysler and Evensville Chrysler Sunbeam div)?
They made Millions of them (enough that the military KNEW they couldn't use them all a year before the war ended).
Other than being corrosive, they shoot fine (and won't hurt your firearm).

You're correct inthat the steel .45 ACP were made in Evansville, Indiana, but don't think they were corrosive. They also made some .30 M1 carbine ammo in steel cases in smaller quanties. I have one in my collection.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David

Are you positive? I thought only the 30 Carbine was non-corrosive because of the gas port and piston set up. All other EC and ECS ammunition was corrosive.

But, I could be wrong.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to multiple government sources there is no corrosive 30carbine ammo.

Frankly I'm suspicious of steel cased US military ammo because proof pressure loads were loaded in steel cases...

and not all of them were properly marked....

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
According to multiple government sources there is no corrosive 30carbine ammo.

Frankly I'm suspicious of steel cased US military ammo because proof pressure loads were loaded in steel cases...

and not all of them were properly marked....

AD

AD

You're correct - there was no 30 Carbine corrosive ammo. At least not any US.

Where did you get the information that proof loads were loaded in steel cases and not all were marked? Proof, or High Pressure Test, cartridges were loaded in tinned brass cases and all were clearly identified either by headstamp or by the case itself. Commercial proof loads were originally identified by a blackened case and later by red staining of the base and bullet.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheechako:
David

Are you positive? I thought only the 30 Carbine was non-corrosive because of the gas port and piston set up. All other EC and ECS ammunition was corrosive.

But, I could be wrong.

Ray

Ray,

You might be correct on the .45 ACP Evansville (Steel Cased)being corrosive primed. I also read that there were no .30 M1 carbine ammo being primed with corrosive primers in this country. Don't know about other Country's loading pratices of .30 M1 Ammo though.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote