New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you REALLY desire?
 Login/Join

<QuarterIncherNV>
posted
This board is something I've been searching for for years. And the people here are so diverse so I'd like to propose another question.

What cartridges/box/board/shell do you REALLY desire? What items do you actively seek, that you want more than the ones you'd pick up if you had the chance?

For me, I'd LOVE to find a 5.45x39 (I can buy 1000 rds any day of the week but I want just one or two), a 260 Rem and a 480 Ruger.

There are plenty of others that I would like to own, but the above three are ones I'd LOVE to come across.

one of us
posted Hide Post
that's like asking what guns do I actively seek, all of them of course, especially the ones I've never heard of...

yeah, i'm just a tad greedy...

------------------
"Laws are like sausages, it's better not to see either being made"--Otto Von Bismark

When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
QtrIch - look in the "goody boxes" at shows & shops - often dealers receive ammo when they take a firearm in on trade and usually, because of liability issues, they don't re-sell it as shooting ammo. Over the years, I've picked up many rounds this way. Check w/ the ranges in your area, among friends (& their friends' friends) . . . if you're for ammo currently manufactured, you should be able to find it.

Posts: 219 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
what do I really desire ? well for starters theres - older whiskey , younger women and more money , but unfortunately I collect cartridges so that tottally cancels any of the previous.

Cartridges I desire are cartridges I don't currently own , with apreference for the older , rarer , weird and wonderfull , but not often shotshells!

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuarterIncherNV:
What cartridges/box/board/shell do you REALLY desire? What items do you actively seek, that you want more than the ones you'd pick up if you had the chance?

Just about anything that I don't already have. Definitely would like to pick up some Weatherby and Dakota Arms cartridges.

WyoJoe

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I lust for a 30MM cannon round from a ME262
jet.

------------------
Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any old British BP or NE cartridge.

Saad

Posts: 271 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear Claw:
I lust for a 30MM cannon round from a ME262
jet.

That's the 30x90RB for the Rheinmetall-Borsig MK 108 gun. I can send you a pic if you're interested...

Tony Williams
Military gun and ammunition website: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk
Military gun and ammunition discussion forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/

Posts: 238 | Location: Derbyshire, UK | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
QuarterIncherNV,

All Lazzeroni calibers

FLASH ,SCRAMJET,FIREBIRD,WARBIRD,TITAN,SATURN,METEOR and BIBAMUFU

Simple but rare in Belgium.

------------------
------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Tony I would very much appreciate a pic.

------------------
Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IWO (I want one) list would include a .600 & .700 Nitro - a 30/03 - and whatever comes along with a story to go with it - stories are important, just a bit of history helps.

Posts: 376 | Location: Farmington, NM - USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always had a great interest in classic Big Bores. Nitro Exp. Gibbs, Jeffery, H&H
But of course, newer powerpackages are also interesting.
Lazzeronis as an example, or maybe a 50BMG Imp. [Big Grin]

Posts: 735 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi, Guys:
A .354 Ross, which is a necked up .280 Ross.

Bye
Jack

Posts: 176 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
<QuarterIncherNV>
posted
I have to add to my "most wanted" list.

ALL of the WSMs (Winchester Short Magnums). I understand that a 30 caliber and a 270 have been released. Is that correct? Are there any other WSMs that have been released? I really like the idea of a 6.5 WSM.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am interested in any cartridge that I do not currently own.

However, I lust after the very unusual and (unfortunately) expensive rounds like:
4 bore - I know a person that has a pair for sale (being sold individually), but I cannot swing the price
12 guage whale tagging round - The above mentioned person also has a round that is fired by a 12 guage shotgun which puts a foot long tag into a whale's fin or body.
Both of these rounds are about $120/each, which is out of my price range. [Frown]

Posts: 57 | Location: Mesa, AZ. | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn460:

... like:
4 bore ........... about $120/each

Old Western Scrounger has 4-bore listed in their catalog--- around $80.00; NO primer & NO powder- removed in Australia so they could be sent to the US without the red tape of importation--( or perhaps such a large size is illegal if loaded?)

the_captn

www.ows-ammunition.com

Posts: 238 | Location: earth | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Old Western Scrounger has 4-bore listed in their catalog--- around $80.00; NO primer & NO powder- removed in Australia so they could be sent to the US without the red tape of importation--( or perhaps such a large size is illegal if loaded?)

the_captn

I went to their web site, but it looks to me like they are selling just the bullets. They list 1000gr for a 4-bore bullet, but this seems very light to me. To me, the 50% price increase of a loaded round over an unprimed and empty 4-bore is worth the price difference. Either way, I don't have the money to lay down on a 4-bore. They are very impressive rounds.

Posts: 57 | Location: Mesa, AZ. | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<seven17>
posted
I've been looking for a couple 5.6x50 rimless. Also need all the Lazzeroni's. Someone (with more $ than I) should buy a box of each Lazzeroni and sell sets! Wouldn't mind finding a 280 accelerator, or was that 7mm express? I suppose those and the 6mm Remington Magnum shells are out of my league!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seven17:
....... Wouldn't mind finding a 280 accelerator, or was that 7mm express?

The only commercial Accelerators that I'm aware of use .224 bullets in a .30 cal plastic sabot. Are there also 7mm sabots?

I would like a handful, if they exist!

the_captn

<seven17>
posted
All I know is Remington supposedly was planning to produce them and that a few exist. I've never seen one. A REAL collectors cartridge!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn460:

I went to their web site, but it looks to me like they are selling just the bullets. They list 1000gr for a 4-bore bullet, but this seems very light to me.

I looked in my catalog from OldWestScrounger--the 4 bore is listed in two places-- one where it seems like they are selling only the bullet (1000 grns). The other place shows it (the same picture) and says that it is fully loaded and with a 2000 grn bullet.

So I massaged my head and finally remembered that the bullet and brass from Australia was a 700 Nitro Express.

OWS has an order line (1-800-UPS-AMMO) and anyone that wants to buy this cartridge from OWS should call and confirm that it is really loaded and also to see if it is in stock. OWS lists items in their catalog which sell-out very quickly, so they may not have anymore.

The listed price is $77.50 plus 4.95 shipping.

the_captn

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuarterIncherNV:
This board is something I've been searching for for years. And the people here are so diverse so I'd like to propose another question.

For me, I'd LOVE to find a 5.45x39 (I can buy 1000 rds any day of the week but I want just one or two), a 260 Rem and a 480 Ruger.

There are plenty of others that I would like to own, but the above three are ones I'd LOVE to come across.

I can help you with 480 ruger, but they'll have to be dummy rounds, and I only have cast bullets.

Is 5.45X39 the same as the 220 Russian?

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 220 Russian is the same as the 5.6x39.
(Different from the 5.45x39)
the_captn

<JackRabbitSquare>
posted
are the remington Accelerators rare? you sure? i bought 3 boxes a couple years ago. also there are some places online where you can buy the little plastic sabots for them, they are for 30 cal to 22 cal. they make a fun fast round.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Remington discontinued the Accelerators after a fairly short time , the ones you purchased have sat on the shelf for a number of years due to a lack of buyer acceptance - bad for sales.
the sabots you see on sale now are aftermarket items aimed at guys who like to play with such things . Certainly you get greater velocity by firing a .224 projectile out of your 30-06 but accuracy is seriously inconsistent . This is not to say that your particular rifle wont shoot accurately , but few have proved to be consistantly accurate . Most guys have reverted to shooting an actual .22 calibre rifle , instead of a compromise .
No doubt this will inflame those guys who use sabots , but hey , its a discussion forum , so thats what we are here for. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I'm sure you guys already have noticed I have a collector tread going on in the "reloading" -page. I started that tread just before this page was opened, but I belive this would have been the right place for it.
But I can tell you what i really want to have (so far):
.50 BMG IMPROVED.
500 NE.
600 NE.
700 NE.(of course!) [Smile]
All the Lazzeroni's.(I know the company sell a collectors package but it's to expensive to import to Norway. But maybe some day I'll just do that.)
17 Hornady.
404 Jeffery.
378 WBY.
RSUM's
The complete Dakota family.
And some Westley Richards.

[ 08-07-2002, 17:04: Message edited by: 460wby ]

Posts: 735 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
460, have you considered membership in the European Cartridge Collectors Association? They have several meets / auctions annually and I'm sure you would be able to find many of your items through their membership.

Posts: 219 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Iconoclast. [Big Grin]
That sounds interresting. How can I get more information about them.
And how can I become a member.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
try this address for the ECRA - Graham Irving , B.P.55 , 4900 Spa Belgium.
Tel +32(0)87.77.4340 Fax +32 (0) 87.77.2751
e-mail ; girving@skynet.be

There are a number of local country cartridge groups in Europe , for instance the Swedish Ammunition Research Association , a Dutch group , French etc . All have their own newsletters ( in their own languages ) but the ECRA has an English language newsletter published monthly .Give it a try !