New
Find
Notify
Tools

.321 Green Cartridge
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found this cartridge in a lot of stuff I bought in an estate sale. The deceased had all sorts of stuff incuding a lot of British double rifles.

Cartridge is marked in ink ".321 Green" and "$125" No headstamp on it. Look like a .45 rimmed cardridge necked down ofr about half the length to around .40 caliber and then further necked down at the neck with 3 stab indenst to hold the bullet. Mid-section of neck has 3 lenghtwise groves in it. Looks very factory to me but never saw anything like it before.

Anybody ever heard o this one? I can post a picture if its still a mystery.
Thanks!

Posts: 100 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a .321 Greener multiball cartridge

You can see a cross section of one here
http://cartridgecollectors.org/cmo/cmo07may.htm

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner nailed it, of course.

There is also a single bullet loading that can be identified because it lacks the 3 lengthwise gooves.

Not sure it is worth $125, maybe more like $75. But still, a very good find.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks Tailgunner & Ray!

I had tried to find it but the ".321 Green" rather than ". 321 Greener" markings on the shell threw me off in searching. It is certainly an odd ball if you have not seen it before and I didn't even know where to start.

I don't where he got it or who put the pricing on it. I got it in a mess of reloading and shooting stuff and have next to nothing in it so it was indeed a neat find and addition to my collection.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope you realize that you are now officially hooked. That multi-ball is lonesome all by itself so now you have to find one of the single bullet cartridges to sit next to it.

Ray Roll Eyes

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the help on this one - it had me stumped.

Is the single ball cartridge more or less rare than the multi-ball one?

I guess the next question is; what rifle shot this thing? I would guess some sort of Martini but the guns must be even rarer than the cartridges.

I have a .297/250 rook rifle on a small martini that is a lot more common I'm sure. I was able to round up a few dozen shells for it but they aren't easy to find.