Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

303 Fraser
 Login/Join

posted
Would appreciate any information on the 303 Fraser rimless "Velox". Would anyone have one in their collection?

Posts: 18 | Location: Essex | Registered: 28 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Best I can do for you is that Dan'l Fraser of Edinburgh, Scotland , ordered rimless .303 Brit cases from probably Eley Brothers , and loaded them with his oblique ratchet bullet. The cases were headstamped " FRASER EDINBURGH ".

Powder charge was 31.0 grains of Cordite , bullet weight was 207 grains. date of introduction pre 1916.

Any help?

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read that the .303 Fraser is the 7,65x53mm Belgium/Argentine.
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
that cartridge is the .303 Mauser , which is the 7.65mm Belgian/Turkish case loaded with Frasers oblique ratchet bullet.

The rimless .303 is an entirely different case type.

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
that cartridge is the .303 Mauser , which is the 7.65mm Belgian/Turkish case loaded with Frasers oblique ratchet bullet.

The rimless .303 is an entirely different case type.

Thanks Muzz, I just knew you'd have the goods on this, I sorta knew but couldn't remember the details & I thought, bu99er all point looking it up, Muzza'll sort it.
Cheers Big Grin Big Grin
Steve Wink

PS also known as the 7.65 argentinian wasn't it?

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
trust the old guy to look in a book for ya --- yeah yeah yeah.

I have either the rimless or the 7.65 case variant with the Fraser bullet - just too lazy to go see which . I also have a library with information on both , which is much closer.....

posted Hide Post
muzza: I just purchased a Frazer bolt rifle built in 1884 and stamped "303" on the barrel. The bolt face is machined to accept a case rim dia. of .476. I'm hoping this is the very rare chambering of 303 Fraser rimless. If you could send any scans of your ref. info on this round it would be appreciated. email in profile. Regards, Don

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
No problems Dons - its a very wet Saturday here in New zealand so a spot of book-bashing will fit well this morning. I shall see what I can dig out for you .

Just ignore that Shinzo guy - he is a displaced Pom that we have allowed to settle here as a refugee and allowed to breed - so whot would he know ????? Big Grin dancing Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Dons

I am not sure that my email went to you - havent used the scan-to-email function on my printer much and not too sure if it worked...

Here is the page of information as well ...

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
The above is from Flemings " Sporting Rifle Cartridges ".

I would suggest that you take a chamber cast to positively identify the cartridge your rifle is chambered in. The bolt-face measurement given fits either case-type if you factor in say .005-6" clearance , and as the chart shows - the case rim measurements are pretty much the same for either case.

I am guessing that your rifle is a mil-surp that Danl Fraser has converted at some time ( likely 1912-14 ) , cos the likelyhood of a proprietory 303-based cartridge in 1884 is about zilch , and the early mauser actions of the time ( 1884 ) were unlikely to have been used as a first-choice action by a Scottish gunsmith.

Hope that helps .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No problems Dons - its a very wet Saturday here in New zealand so a spot of book-bashing will fit well this morning. I shall see what I can dig out for you .

Just ignore that Shinzo guy - he is a displaced Pom that we have allowed to settle here as a refugee and allowed to breed - so whot would he know ????? Big Grin dancing Big Grin

You coming done here in July are you? I challenge you to COTW at twenty paces, dawn on the Sunday. knife
Pom yourself you inbred Tanaraki twit. Big Grin Big Grin
Steve.

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
muzza: Thank you for posting that info. BTW, your email did not complete it's journey. The action on this rifle has been positively identified as a Spanish Model 1893, and the serial # also puts it in the 1893-1894 time frame. If it ends up being the proprietory 303 cartridge, I've got gold on my hands. With your info, a Cerrosafe chamber casting will determine this. Being from the US, I will not comment on the Kiwi humor. beer

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
COTW ??? Eeker

A beginners book filled with errors and inaccuracies.... diggin

If you wish a serious duel ( no banjos , please ) you will have to come up with a better weapon selection than that .... pissers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
COTW ??? Eeker

A beginners book filled with errors and inaccuracies.... diggin

You,re starting to sound like someone who takes this seriously shame coffee
Better limit the duel to a pint of something you like at elbows bend distance. beer
Steve

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I dont take much seriously Steve - apart from mauser rifles ( in non-standard calibers )and the fact that COTW is a piss-poor referance for anyone considering becoming a cartridge collector.

Apart from that I think I am a pretty well balanced , likeable sort of a guy nilly.....'course you may disagree - but thats not my problem Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the correction muzza, you are right.
Sorry, I was to lazy to search for my books.
dons,
Spanish Mausers were initially chambered for the 7,65mm. Let us know if you make a chamber cast.
Im very intereted in any info or rare chamberings. Do you have pictures of hte rifle.
Thanks
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Martin: If you pop over to NitroExpress.com, their are lots of photos in the Mauser Photo Archive. All of my Mauser rifles are posted in that forum. I use the same name and welcome all comments.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dons,
Thanks I visit NE every day and post some also.
Beautyfull rifle!!!!

Thanks
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I checked my Fraser specimen today - I have the 7.65 variant , with a large soft-point gm bullet as opposed to the Fraser ratchet bullet . Shame , I know ...

But - my cartridge has the headstamp " FRASER EDINBURGH" so I'm pretty happy with that ...

posted Hide Post
Martin: Did a Cerrosafe chamber casting and determined that the rifle is chambered for the 303 Fraser rimless cartridge. Chamber dim's.=

base dia. .458
shoulder dia. .405
neck dia. .340
bore dia. .311
base to shoulder length 1.820
base to neck length 1.892
case length OA 2.250

Very similar to the 303 British rimmed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations (again.LOL)!!!!
This would be a very interesting proyect (reloading I mean).
Thanks
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli